Towbar Safety Ratio (Tow Rating to Toad Weight)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Weewun

I have recently purchased a 2007 Chevy Tahoe that I intend to use as a Toad.  According to FMCA Towing Guide the weight is around 5100lbs but according to the sticker on the door the Gross Weight is 7300lbs with a carrying capacity of 1400lbs which would make the curb weight about 5900lbs, according to the Dealer the shipping weight is 5600lbs.  I guess Fuel and other Accessories would account for the difference between shipping weight and curb weight.

With the information above (which may be too much) what reseve capacity do I need in the Towbar.  My options are the Blackhawk at 8000lbs or the Blackhawk II All Terrain at 10000lbs.  There is about a $250 price difference between the two.

The MH and MH Hitch are rated for 10000lbs.

You should have no trouble with either.  There is quite a bit of reserve capacity built into the tow bar specs.  The tow bar weight rating is calculated for an instance where you're panic stopping and the toad has no supplemental brakes.  And that is with some large, unspecified reserve added to the weight.

If you don't plan to exceed the gross weight, the 8,000 lb towbar will be fine.

Al

I agree with Al. We tow our Suburban with the 8,000 lbs Blackhawk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom