Tutoring at campsites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylWatton

Does anyone think there is demand for tutoring kids of family on vacation? I'm thinking about  hanging out a shingle at campsites I stay at and offering to keep children's math, reading and writing skills warm while they enjoy summer vacay. Would campsites be opposed to this kind of solicitation?

Generally speaking all RV parks and campgrounds are totally against commercial enterprises setting up shop in their park. Can you imagine driving through an RV park and every site has a neon light flashing?

Well, I certainly wouldn't call what I do a "commercial enterprise", but I take your point. Surely it wouldn't be on the scale of a neon sign or even a permanent establishment. People tutor out of their homes all the time in residential areas not zoned for business. Is this any different?

I am a former educator and while  I admire  your desire to tutor  kids,  I do not think the  market for  a vacation tutor would gain much  interest in  a campground. As  has been stated many campgrounds  forbid sales of  most types.  But more  I think a family on vacation has already factored in the learning loss of a vacation and planned ahead with  books, movies and family activities  that will  maintain skills.

When I was a kid and on vacation, the last thing I wanted to do was anything that resembled school work. Now something like the NPS Junior Ranger program is a whole different story, wildlife and flower walks, history talks, campfire programs.

You may have better luck proposing a "kids day camp for campers" with educational based activities.  That may meet your need to "tutor" while also providing a service to the campground.  I know Jellystone parks offer day time kids program (no idea if it is "educational"), but I would imagine this is through their corporate office...not just a local guy.  But the point is that it shows there is a market in some places for a structured kids activity.

True the kids are on vacation...but it gives them a chance to play with the other kids when mom & dad don't have activities planned.

Back
Top Bottom