Towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Itascasunova

I have a Winnebago 2007 Itasca Sunova Motorhome with a Trident V10.  I need to know if this more powerful engine will pull my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo which checks in at 5500 lbs.  Please feel free to contact with your answer(s) at [email protected].  Thanks.  This is a very important issue for me.

Michael

I towed  a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo  with our class C motor home and had plenty of power with the V10. You will want some type of brake system in the Jeep though, as that 5500 pounds will push the motor home when you try to stop.

What year Jeep? My 2004 GC was under 4200 lbs.  2005 and newer they weigh more.  Dick nvrver

I tow  2014 GC Limited 4x4 it weights 4600lb. Tows fine, as others have said you need supplemental brakes.

Make sure the hitch receiver is rated for more than 5000 lbs - many on Ford chassis coaches are not. Also check that you will not be exceeding the GCWR (Gross COMBINED Weight Rating) of the coach. On most Sunovas it is 26,000 lbs, so if the actual loaded weight of your coach is 20,500 lbs or more you will have exceeded the maximum total weight.

Gary makes a great point.  Please look at your Winnebago Weight Information Sheet which is posted somewhere inside your unit and let us know what your ratings are.  Also weigh your Jeep - you might be surprised.

Itascasunova said:
I have a Winnebago 2007 Itasca Sunova Motorhome with a Trident V10.  I need to know if this more powerful engine will pull my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo which checks in at 5500 lbs.  Please feel free to contact with your answer(s) at [email protected].  Thanks.  This is a very important issue for me.

Michael

As Gary mentioned the hitch for your MH is rated to 5k lbs....the toad is too heavy for your coach.

I think the OP is looking at the wrong weight, there was a sticker on my 2004 that said 5500#, that is the max total weight with cargo, passengers and liquids.  My weight with gas some things in the back at a Oregon State scale was under 4200#.    JMHO    Big John says his 2014 weight is 4600#.    Dick

I have a 2005 GC Larado which weighs 4500 lbs. As has been said, check the weight of the Jeep

Thanks to all of you who made the time to try and help me; I am most appreciative.

Just got back from a sand and gravel company with a (free!) weigh station.  At it's heaviest, the Jeep weighed in at 4500!  Whew!

Again, thanks to all of you.  You are a great group.

Best wishes and be well.

Michael

Michael, go back and read The posts of Gary and John again. Here is what they are telling you:

If your Sunova has a GVWR of 22,000 lbs and a GCWR of 26,000 lbs you will lose 500 lbs of GVWR when towing the Jeep (26,000 - 4,500 equals 21,500). So, don't load the MH to more than 21,500.

Suggest you now weigh the MH so you know where you stand and so you can adjust the tire pressure correctly.

Back
Top Bottom