Our window box for cats - A three season porch? A "Catio?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Notayurt

We getting ready to head out to see the USA for a couple of months. We'll be taking our two cats along. Similar to other folks who have posted on this site, we constructed a window box so the cats can go out to get some fresh air and look around outside. It disassembles into four panels and stores underneath the coach. We put in screening to keep out insects, and backed that with chicken wire to keep the cats in and undesirable critters out. The support stakes are closet rods that are opened to the proper length and secured with breeze clamps. The cats took to it right away. Here's a couple of pictures. We don't know what to call this thing. It's not a porch, or a lanai, and "catio" seems too pretentious and contrived. And "cat box" is already taken to mean something else! So, whatever it may be called, we like it! See you on the road!

Attachments

• emmainthecatio.jpg
    emmainthecatio.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 170
  • awindowboxforthecats.jpg
    awindowboxforthecats.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 150
Oscar Mike said:
Oh what we don't do for our fur babies...
Yes, we even make barriers to keep them from crawling up into the dashboard!

Attachments

• driverssidebarrierinstalled.jpg
    driverssidebarrierinstalled.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 101
  • passengerssidecatbarrierinstalled.jpg
    passengerssidecatbarrierinstalled.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 70
Well speaking from personal experience as a crazy cat lady, I think "catio" is an ideal name!  If I were you, I'd trademark it, stat.

"Catio" - I luv it!  I made something similar for our kitty when we had a 5W - the entire big storage area under the front was his home and he had a screen porch besides.

Now you've got me thinking of ways to build something like that for our coach. The furry gal loves the patio at home and spends hours at the big window behind the sofa in the coach.

I've had the same problem trying to decide what to call ours. I think I like catio too.

I see that you needed a shim under one of the poles. I used paint roller poles with adjustable length.

Joel

Attachments

• Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 81
We travel with two cats, and this seems like a good idea. I'm wondering how you attach it to the window. A standard sliding motor home widow. Is it just stuck up against it? Or snapped on somewhere? Or is part of it inside the window? What happens if it rains and you are gone for the day?

Can you elaborate, please?

Stan

parttymer said:
We travel with two cats, and this seems like a good idea. I'm wondering how you attach it to the window. A standard sliding motor home widow. Is it just stuck up against it? Or snapped on somewhere? Or is part of it inside the window? What happens if it rains and you are gone for the day?

Stan

Here is an inside view of the one that I made. On the inside view, that light (not the white) piece on the bottom front is a piece of 2x6 that has a groove cut in the bottom of it such that the lip of the window fits fairly snugly into the groove. It also serves as one side of the bottom frame. The other 3 sides are 2x4s.

You can see the outside view in my post earlier in this thread.

I see that you are in Illinois. I am in Lake County. If you are at all close, I will be happy to show it to you.

Joel

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 75
I think it is too late to trademark "catio". I believe I heard it used by the host of "My Cat From Hell".
One on a window is a good idea for us.
Maybe it will divert my wife from the Taj Mahal she wants me to build in the backyard for our two inside only cats.

Great Horned Owl said:
Here is an inside view of the one that I made. On the inside view, that light (not the white) piece on the bottom front is a piece of 2x6 that has a groove cut in the bottom of it such that the lip of the window fits fairly snugly into the groove. It also serves as one side of the bottom frame. The other 3 sides are 2x4s.

You can see the outside view in my post earlier in this thread.

I see that you are in Illinois. I am in Lake County. If you are at all close, I will be happy to show it to you.

Joel

Joel,

I see now that you have it in a window that slides up and down. Maybe I could use the window on the end of the living room slide. It moves like that. Our other windows slide open side to side. Or perhaps it doesn't make a difference?

We are in Rockford, straight down 173 from you, but lots of traffic in between, I'm thinking about 65 miles to Mundelein area.

Stan

parttymer said:
Joel,

I see now that you have it in a window that slides up and down. Maybe I could use the window on the end of the living room slide. It moves like that. Our other windows slide open side to side. Or perhaps it doesn't make a difference?

We are in Rockford, straight down 173 from you, but lots of traffic in between, I'm thinking about 65 miles to Mundelein area.

Stan

The design for a window that slides side to side would be similar, and might even be a little easier. You wouldn't have to worry about a mechanism, to hold the screen up. If you do want to see it, we are just south of Fox Lake. That would be somewhat closer than Mundelein.

I forgot to answer your question about rain. If really heavy rain seems likely, we take it down and close the window.The solid top is sufficient to keep direct rain out. I usually try to keep that side a little bit higher than the other side so we don't get run off from the roof into the window.

Joel

parttymer said:

Stan

Stan, Our catio sits on the ledge of our sliding window at our dinette. It hooks over the wall of the RV using two heavy duty "L" brackets. One leg of the bracket is secured to the floor of the catio, with the other leg hooking over the window ledge. Simple and strong. Here's a picture of the assembled catio unattached to the window. If it rains, some water will get in, I suppose, but we only leave the catio in the window when we are on the scene. So if it rains, we're there to take it down.

Regarding "catio," I saw this word in a NY Times Magazine article to describe the elaborate cat-friendly structures many people have built for their apartment-bound cats. So, it's not coined by me, and I think it sounds a bit silly. But, it seems people like the word, so I  guess I'll call our window box a catio after all.

Here's  the picture, and good luck traveling with your cats!

Attachments

• Catio_Attachment.jpg
    Catio_Attachment.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 48
Here's a picture of our "kitty kondo" made from a small shopping cart (legally obtained).  It hooks in the glass track of the window and is held on the inside by two pieces of aluminum tubing.

Attachments

• kitty kondo.jpg
    kitty kondo.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 67
RVn00b said:
Well speaking from personal experience as a crazy cat lady, I think "catio" is an ideal name!  If I were you, I'd trademark it, stat.

I wholeheartedly agree!! That is awesome looking!! Let us know if you would want to make one to sell!
If my dream becomes reality, we will also be toting our 7+ ft. long boa constrictor, Ace, along  ;D
Edit: Fixed quote.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom