cell phone signal booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lwosten

I gave up on trying to  get the info to use a Hugh's net dish to get internet. At State parks I plan to use my cell phone to dial up and then use it as a hotspot for iPad and TV to watch netflix movies.
Many parks only have limited cell signal however (1 bar maybe 2) so I plan to use a cell signal booster to get a good dial up connection.
I see Wilson has a new cell signal booster that can be used for 4g. It costs $400 and they say to get best connection I should also get the rv/trucker spring mounted antenna. Does anyone have experience with this system. Are there other suggestions for dial up internet connections?

Thanks.

Wilson has the Wilson Sleek cradle booster that works fairly well and might be all you need - for a lot less.  I have the 3g version, but I believe they now have a 4g version.  I used an 18" trucker antenna for a while on my old MH, but now use the short magnetic antenna that came with it on my new MH.  Both work fairly well and I usually have Internet service most anywhere.

I read about the cradle one but that only supports one device. I would like for me and my wife to access internet at same time so need a router type.

Lwosten said:
I read about the cradle one but that only supports one device. I would like for me and my wife to access internet at same time so need a router type.
Won't your phone hotspot work for more than one device?  I believe most do.  Just connect your devices via wifi and you should be good to go.

Thanks, good suggestion. I connect phone in cradle and make phone the hot spot for others. Saves me $300 too! Thanks.

If you are planning to use any cellular connection for Netflix or other streaming video you will need a much higher data allowance to avoid overages.  A rule of thumb per the Netflix Website: "Watching Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video."  A couple of hours a day can eat through most cellular data plans quickly.

To address your original question, there are many different combinations of antenna, booster and router available depending on your needs and budget.  The permanent installation in our motor home uses a roof mounted low profile Cellphone-Mate Omnidirectional 3g/4g antenna, connected to a Cellphone-Mate 3g/4g signal booster, Verizon USB modem, Cradlepoint MBR-95 Wireless router.  We do remote IT work and connect two laptops, two tablets and two cell phones to that combination and get good performance. 

appsol said:
If you are planning to use any cellular connection for Netflix or other streaming video you will need a much higher data allowance to avoid overages.  A rule of thumb per the Netflix Website: "Watching Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video."  A couple of hours a day can eat through most cellular data plans quickly.
Good point.  Even with HughesNet, watching movies just isn't feasible unless you buy into a very high dollar commercial account - or maybe watch at 2 am during "fap free" time.  In addition, to what appsol said, be aware that, depending on where you camp, you may not receive 4g.  In some cases, I've gotten good old 1XRTT (about like dialup).  Can't watch a movie with that...or do much of any kind of video.

There will be a number of new cell booster amps coming on the market in the next few months as the FCC approves them under the new rules. I suggest holding off a bit on new purchases while the dust settles and reviews start showing up.

I use this signal booster in my car. I works for me. However, I have no idea about the dialing system.
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/weboost-drive-4g-s-cell-phone-signal-booster-kit-470107/

A lot of new 4g signal booster have been released. see the link
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom