RV GPS: Magellan vs Rand McNally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob.n.Carolyn

Magellan and Rand McNally both make an RV-specific 7" Nav.  Both the Magellan RV19365-LMB and the Rand McNally 7720 are around the same price.  Anyone have a preference between these two, or any others?

Garmin has one, too: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod135455.html?alpref=http%3A%2F%2Fsah2jjj.com%2Findex.cfm%3Ffuseaction%3DRedirectServer.Redirect%26kwid%3D2512C4AA-3B73-4BFA-B6B8-632135B879E7

We use the Rand Mcnally and have for about 4 years.  Ours is a 7710, but we have kept current with the updates and it does what we need.  It will also download a trip that you have set up on Good Sams website. 

Garmin is far older in the industry than the others.  Their Dezl line has multiple modes that allows you to setup for your RV. 

donn said:
Garmin is far older in the industry than the others.  Their Dezl line has multiple modes that allows you to setup for your RV.

I couldn't tell for sure whether the Desl was Big-Rig Truck specific, or RV. 

I'm mostly trying to figure out which of the above devices has the best features.  Just got back from Yosemite where my non-RV Garmin took me down some pretty tight mountain roads.  I think the Garmin somehow got the idea we were on a dirt bike :eek:

Watched some tutorials on both the RMN and Magellan, and they look pretty similar in features.

I have the Rand McNally, and really like the features. However, it has tried to route me onto parkways limited to passenger cars.

They both appear to be similar was what our research told us as well.  We bought the  Magellan RV specific model and like it.  Our Magellan was about $25 less when we purchased in December 13'.

Bob.n.Carolyn said:
I couldn't tell for sure whether the Desl was Big-Rig Truck specific, or RV.

I'm mostly trying to figure out which of the above devices has the best features.  Just got back from Yosemite where my non-RV Garmin took me down some pretty tight mountain roads.  I think the Garmin somehow got the idea we were on a dirt bike :eek:  Just a side note. We have traveled to Yosemite every year for several years. what you need to know is there are 3 ways into Yosemite National Park and none of them are ideal.  The best road is from Hyw 99 out of Merced. The problem with this route is because of a rock slide several years ago there is a length restriction I believe it to be 50 feet. We are 35 feet and pull a full size truck making us longer than 50 feet but we easily make the turns at the detour. Even on this road there is one or two spots that feel narrow. If you come up hwy 120 through Oakdale then you have to pull up priest grade, which is very windy and steep. We have made this trip several times and have always made it even though we have had to go into first gear occasionally to get speed up. Then over Tioga Pass Wheew 8% grade from the eastern side for 11 miles. We disconnected the truck and made it easily. From the Fresno side I can only say from the Kiosk. Road is windy and narrow at times into the park.

Watched some tutorials on both the RMN and Magellan, and they look pretty similar in features.

Edit: Fixed quote.

Turn off the screen and watch the road, I listen to the directions.  I have been doing this for 4 years now.  Modern smart phones have GPS reception so loss of cell signal is not as limiting as it used to be.  On 2 different occasions there has been multiple ways into a campground one with low overhead or narrow road and the other the preferred way, both times google maps took me the way recommended by the campground.  I am work camping now, all the people who get lost with GPS are on old machines with out of date maps, Google maps brought me right here.

Get the Garmin RV760LMT. I have GPS in all my vehicles and have had for years. The RV760 is amazing. It does everything an RV owner would want. I am hard of hearing but you can easily hear the instructions for making turns and such. The lane directions is worth its wait in gold. No more passing an off ramp because you are not in the right lane and having to double back to get to where you want to go. On many highways an actual picture of an intersection will flash up on the right side of the screen so you know what you are supposed to look for. If there are better GPS out there for RVers, you would have to prove it to me. I love mine and highly recommend it to anyone.

HappyWanderer said:
Let's see... 7 inch display with full GPS features or tiny phone with map only.
What do you mean by "full GPS features"?

If screen size is important, get a tablet.  I use a 7" LG tablet that I got for $100.

Also, I go the CoPilot app which caches maps and will route based on vehicle height/type and other restrictions (i.e. propane).  It's normally $10, but I picked it up when it was on sale for $5.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa

Of course, I actually like Google Maps better.  Much easier to use.

Some people have good luck with whatever product they buy.
I have never had good luck with Google Maps.
My home and street does not exist and neither does my daughter's
home in another state, that was built 20 years ago. I guess for main roads it is OK.

I usually check my GPS and Mapquest routes before a trip.
Often I will print a Mapquest route in-case the GPS fails.
I also carry paper maps.

For now I am still with my little old TomTom.
It has worked well and is kept updated.

I really like the Garmin RV760LMT for it's features.

oldme said:
Some people have good luck with whatever product they buy.
I have never had good luck with Google Maps.
My home and street does not exist and neither does my daughter's
home in another state, that was built 20 years ago. I guess for main roads it is OK.

One cool thing is that you can report a problem with the map, and they will respond.  Just click the location, then click the question mark down in the lower right..... It takes a while, like a month or two for the couple times I have done it..... but they'll follow-up and it makes the maps better for everyone.

I have the Rand 7720 and had a 7710 before that. On this recent trip in Oregon, I took Hiway 38 to go from I-5 to the coast. The Rand didn't want me to go this way and kept insisting that I turn onto smaller roads. Finally, I guess because it ran out of roads, it flashed a low clearance message and I got worried. We are 12'6", so I slowed expecting the worse. Finally a tunnel came into view. I pulled over and contemplated. The tunnel did nont indicate it's height. I sat there as a large truck came by and saw that it easily cleared. I proceded to the town of Drain with no issues. I had my RV height set at 13' in the unit, so I don't see what the problem was, but it sure made me sit up and take notice.  I would think it would have mentioned why it didn't want me to go a specific way rather than blindly, (from my point of view)  trying to re-route me.

Larry N. said:
Provided you have reception... I often don't.

I know this is a bit of an old thread but I find HERE maps (free) works really well, (both on a windows and android smart phone) You can download the map data to an SD card and it will provide guidance without cell reception.

Google Maps on Android lets you download maps for an area and will work normally even without an internet connection.  You can download as large or small an area as you need.  MAPS.ME downloads entire states, taking more storage space, a consideration if you're short on card space.

Also considering an upgrade, currently using Garmin nuvi 5" and it works but really would like:

1)the ability to create desired route (either on PC or web) and import
2) low clearance/tunnel (propane)/weight/length restriction avoidance
3)would have to include lifetime maps and traffic

I haven't had an issue out west with my updated but old/non RV Garmin, but planning an extensive east coast trip next summer and worried about various restrictions. Bought a "truckers' atlas thinking it would include some of that info but mostly useless

Looking at Garmin 760LMT and Good Sam/Rand McNally 7735.

Back
Top Bottom