DIY awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, My husband and I just bought today a 73 23ft Terry TT.  It has no awning or AC.  I am very handy with a serger and a sewing machine, so I feel like i have enough skill set to fabricate an awning.  I am looking for ideas about what kind of fabric to buy.  Also, I got the shock of my life when i did some calling around today to see what a roof top unit costs.............I almost died!  $350 is what I could find used, $750 for a base model new, the stinkin trailer was only $1200!!!! so I found a rv salvage place and sent them an email to see what they have there, he is gonna look and get back to me.  Condition isnt important cuz my husband does HVAC and has done warrenty work for Coleman.  My fingers are crossed, hopefully I wont have to sell a kid or a kidney..................................

The fabric in the awning is the easy part. How are you going to fabricate a frame, one that can be deployed and retracted easily, yet stand up to winds and rain? Maybe hit that salvage yard for an awning frame too. There should be lots of them there that just need new fabric.

Good luck with your project - would love to see some pictures when you are done.

If I were making an awning, I would use Sunbrella http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/application-decor/type-fabric/brand-sunbrella.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google+-+Brand+-+m%2C+Sunbrella&utm_term=sunbrella&utm_content=ssWPPENrR_dc|pcrid|35526662893|pkw|sunbrella|pmt|e|.

I have made many a boat canopy, dodger, etc. Sunbrella is easy to work with and designed to stand up to UV rays. Be sure to use nylon thread of heavy enough gauge. If you have a rail on your TT that you can attach the awning to, you could simply stretch it out, using some tent poles at the corners with ropes and tent stakes. Not as simple to deploy and stow as with a roller frame, but the end result is about the same! Good luck with your project.

In your situation, instead of an attached awning, I would set up either a free-standing canopy or screen room. Many others go this route.

Dan actually has a good point.  Something like the EZ Up, available at Sams for under $200.  Very 'EX' to set up and take down.  If you make an awning that attaches and have to roll up by hand, it is difficult, I have had those.  Takes at least 2, easier with 3, then stuff into a bag or something at roof level.  If you really want a rollup type awning, check the salvage place for a cassette awning.  These work quite well.  If the fabric is bad it is fairly easy to replace. 

The AC prices are reasonable, comparing a new AC to a 41 year old trailer price?    Try pricing out a new rollup awning.

A/C - maybe you could install a simple little window A/C in the rear or front wall.  You can pick one up that could work well for your trailer size for probably less than $150.  Since your trailer is, shall we say, elderly, perhaps one could be mounted through the wall and not actually occupy a window.

I priced new awnings, thats why i have absolutely NO DESIRE to pay for one new or used.  Salvage yards are very useful.  This will be parked so retracting in and out all the time is a non-issue for now.  I am just looking for a way to keep the sun off of us.  It does have a track so I was gonna go the tent stake route, also I think the free-standing idea is good also, it might end up being the winner.  The guy at the salvage yard says he has about 25 ACs in the yard right now that are ranging from 60-200, in varying degrees of usefullness.  So we might pursue that as an option in the future, but the window shaker never occured to me.  I will have to go look and see what the window situation is in the TT, I am not opposed to performing surgery on it to make one fit. 

For the record, I have a lot of vision for this little trailer.  The family we bought it from has loved it and traveled all over Idaho, Washington, and Oregon in it.  They were actually crying when we left there yesterday.  Its full of good memories and love, and my husband killed himself, worked crazy long hours in order to accumulate the overtime that paid for it.  While my dream would be a brand new Voltage 3895 with a big fat dually to pull it, the truck and trailer we have now ARE PAID FOR.  To me, thats money in the bank  :)  All that to say, elderly TTs deserve some love too <3

You guys have been full of great advice, THANK YOU!!!

Definitely shop at the yard for an awning.

On my last RV project, I went through several DIY solutions, but there is no substitute for all the thought and engineering that has gone into a real RV awning.  They are just so handy and easily deployed. 

If you have fabric skills, absolutely shop for an awning that has a serviceable frame and fabric that is shot.  You can buy replacement fabric easily or use sunbrella, or talk to your local billboard sign company.  The signs they use are no longer "wallpapered" up, but are a digitally-printed sign on a pvc coated polyester fabric.  They're a very similar fabric to awning material and can be had for $20-50.

MT4Runner said:
Definitely shop at the yard for an awning.

On my last RV project, I went through several DIY solutions, but there is no substitute for all the thought and engineering that has gone into a real RV awning.  They are just so handy and easily deployed. 

If you have fabric skills, absolutely shop for an awning that has a serviceable frame and fabric that is shot.  You can buy replacement fabric easily or use sunbrella, or talk to your local billboard sign company.  The signs they use are no longer "wallpapered" up, but are a digitally-printed sign on a pvc coated polyester fabric.  They're a very similar fabric to awning material and can be had for $20-50.

holy cow that is a good idea!!!!! 

I had an old awning that was going to get a billboard sign, I was just waiting to find the right scene to display on my RV.

..then my folks gave me their old awning..

..and then I sold it and bought another RV that already had a decent awning. :D

I guess thats one way to get an awning.........like I mentioned above, in my dreams the awning would be attached to a brand new Voltage 3895 toy hauler lol

But in reality, we DIY stuff and be proud we have the skills to do so where others only have the choice to buy. :)

What we did when we first stated rv'ing and could not afford a awning, we went out and purchased a blue tarp the same length as the awning rail on the rv. We then cut of the hem with the grommets and found a small piece of nylon rope and sewed it on the edge of the material and created a hem with the rope in it. It was then just a matter of sliding it in the track. Then for the opposite side, I purchased some wooden 2" X 2" about 6' long  and drilled and taped one end of each of them and install a bolt with the head cut off. Then just place one of these at each grommet location then just using stakes, and ropes with a loop on the end, just tie them off. The loop goes over the headless bolt. We used that tarp for at least 5 years. The thing is, it was cheap.

MT4Runner said:
But in reality, we DIY stuff and be proud we have the skills to do so where others only have the choice to buy. :)

YES!!!!!  you are singing my song!!!!lol  I have often thought that while it would so fun to be financially independent and just buy whatever you need, at the same time there is a certain freedom that comes when you dont have the internal struggle of whether or not to buy something.  You just dont do it, and go home and build one thats better anyways!

Rene T said:
What we did when we first stated rv'ing and could not afford a awning, we went out and purchased a blue tarp the same length as the awning rail on the rv. We then cut of the hem with the grommets and found a small piece of nylon rope and sewed it on the edge of the material and created a hem with the rope in it. It was then just a matter of sliding it in the track. Then for the opposite side, I purchased some wooden 2" X 2" about 6' long  and drilled and taped one end of each of them and install a bolt with the head cut off. Then just place one of these at each grommet location then just using stakes, and ropes with a loop on the end, just tie them off. The loop goes over the headless bolt. We used that tarp for at least 5 years. The thing is, it was cheap.

I love it!  That is kinda what I was thinking of doing.  Only I was looking at a piece of waterproof canvas that a friend of ours has.  he used to use it as a rain tarp over his tent, and they trailer camp now, so he said i could have it.

I went to a sign maker/canvas shop and they stitched and glued up a 10' x 12'  vinyl sail with grommets every 6" on two of the sides.  I needed a flat sail (no belly) to help keep my lobster boat pointed into the wind while working.  $225 vs $850 at a sail shop.  These sails will last 7 to 10 years under pretty extreme conditions.  Shop around and you will get a good price.

areallynicegirl said:
Only I was looking at a piece of waterproof canvas that a friend of ours has.  he used to use it as a rain tarp over his tent, and they trailer camp now, so he said i could have it.

The only hard thing I think would be is folding it over a pc of rope or twine and sewing it and still being able to slide is easily in the track. Try just a sample piece.

That piece of rope sewn in is called a bolt-rope.  Thee is a specialty presser foot to handle that.  They may be available for your sewing macine, if not you could try to DIY it with a thicker presserfoot and a fine file.  The next but first question, is, will your machine handle this?  Pretty heavy duty sewing.  My Mom has been a seamstress, from bridal veils to mainsails on some pretty big sails.  The machine and the foot are key, you need the seam right there at the rope. 

Over the years we have gone the DIY route many many times, from tent and trailer camping, to a sailboat, to a motorhome.  I have always attempted to make the DIY project look as close to a have it done project.  Have had the blue tarp awnngs, but never felt real good about them.

Yep that is a zipper foot, i have one of those!!  My machine is pretty darn tough, I have done some big stuff with it.  I like to make stuff look nice too.  If I used a tarp, it would only be a temporary measure until i could afford the fabric I want.  It looks like it runs between 10-20 bucks/yard.  I can order it from Joanns.com and use a 40% off coupon.  I have seen lots of cute awnings online that look pretty easy to do, like you said its all about machine and foot!!!

Back
Top Bottom