Alaska reservations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

Need to know, mid July, August, do we need to make reservations at campgrounds in Alaska, or do they have ample sites?  We have a general idea where we will be and when we will be there, but we will be winging it.  If we like where we are we will stay and move on at a later date. 

Are the coupon books a good deal?  It seems as the tour operators refuse them as the traffic allows. 

I realize this is a little vague, but a lot of days on the road and a lot of places to visit.

Jim

We  purchased the  Alaska Toursaver coupon book and saved several times over the cost of the  book.  We got 50% discounts on cruises, flights over Mt Whitney and on a variety of touristy things we wanted to do.  We traveled in  2006 and felt it was well worth it.

We did not make many advance reservations.  Often we called the day before  a destination just to ensure we had a  campsite if we  were to arrived late in day.  If a caravan is in town, the  RV parks may fill up quickly.  A long term schedule of reservations would not have served us as many times we stayed at a place longer because there were so many things of interest for us.

Our experience was the same as Betty and Terry's.  In fact, we traveled much of the summer of 2006 with them in AK.  We only made reservations when we knew there might be a problem with available campsites and we wanted to stay in an area for more than a day or two.  We never had the Toursaver coupons refused and saved hundreds of dollars with it.

Need to know, mid July, August, do we need to make reservations at campgrounds in Alaska, or do they have ample sites?

2007 36G Journey SE
2010 Escape Hybrid Blue Ox Air Force 1 Brake

If you are taking your towed behind your 36' home, you will have some problems and may want to make advance reservations. Without the towed, more sites are available, but if your route includes the Canadian Rockies, many sites in the public parks are first-come and the sign at the entrance says 25' maximum. In those parks, it isn't the size of the camp site that limits you but the tight roads, trees and turns.

Thanks for the quick response, but your info is 8 years old. We were hoping to get some updated info.

We get reservations on holiday weekends, but normaly we call in the morning to a campground near our destination.  Is there a schedule for the caravans?  I have read on a google search that a lot of facilities refuse the coupons, depending on the amount of tourist expected that day.  AKA cruise ship, or caravan, or reservations made. 

Alaska is the last frontier, so it seems more and more people go there each year.

Thanks again.

Jim

I will eagerly await your description of the journey you are about to begin.  I'm quite sure your more current information will update all of us who have previously successfully negotiated this changeling journey.  If you have made this journey before, you might provide information to others who are planning a trip this year.

Tin man said:
Thanks for the quick response, but your info is 8 years old. We were hoping to get some updated info.

The RVForum library has several articles of  folks who have traveled to Alaska more recently than my  2006 information.  You might check on those. I wrote a very detailed daily journal complete with costs and  GPS points.  I don't think any of the  GPS points will have changed but the RV parks may have gone out of business. So get the updated  version of the  Church book on Alaskan RV Parks.  We have found  over our travels  that  conditions do  change rapidly in Alaska.  The only reliable road information we received was from the trucker who had  just  traveled over that road.  We spoke to many at the fuel stops. I  got the brochures from the major caravan companies and they have schedules of their  itineraries and listing of fun things to do.  We tried to  do all the things listed in the Caravan activities. Sorry  I couldn't be of more  help because I was there so long ago.

Betty and Ned

Your info was right on.  We planned to do exactly what you advised.  Ref the reservations.  I should have been more clearer in our concerns.  I reserched the Toursaver Book on Tripsaver and the comments were mixed reviews.  Some said the book was worthless, and others raved about the savings.  The most disconcerting was the fact that tour operators set a limit (on how many coupons they allowed) on the amount of sales they expected.  This of course if a cruise ship was in town or caravan.  After all they have too make a living in the short amount of time.

Dan....your info was the most informative even though unexpected.  We plan on stopping in Banf and Lake Louise on our way home as the kids are back in school and the area should have quited down by than.  Interesting on the reason why the size limits.

The Tour Savings book has been in publication for fifteen years so they must be doing something right.  Our
Alaska Railroad
Talkeetna to Hurricane, trip should pay for the book, so the rest could be money in the bank. 

Now that we have the reservation and the Tour Saving book out of the way, would like to know if there is that little "hole in the wall" place that is a must see that no body ever speaks about.  Tour, fishing, and let's not forget restaurant. 

When we get home in late September and any one would like to be board out of there tree I will tell you all about our trip.  Ask Marsha how boring I can be..... 

Did I mention FISHING????  Guide suggestions.......

Thanks again

Jim & Kathy

Our flight over Denali paid for the Toursaver book several times over all by itself.  The rest of the boat tours and other things were just a bonus.

Believe me, Jim, you are not boring....

Jim, I can email you our excel spread sheet of our trip to Alaska in 2012.  It list mileage, places we stayed, costs and ratings.

Both Marty (Sarge) and Dianne and Tim and I did Alaska the same year; along with a couple of others.  Both our blogs give an account from different views and are good reads to help with planning.  I read everyone's prior blogs and put together our own itinery from several others who had been to Alaska before us..

Linda and Dean Stock gave us their tour book at the last minute because they had to cancel their trip that year.  So we enjoyed it without paying for it.  But if we had to, we would have bought it.  Tours on cruises, helicopter flights, meals, museums etc were often 2 for 1.    What I found out was that after we got the book, I looked through it and it stimulated us to do some stuff we might not have otherwise done because of the cost.  So if you are not into that stuff, then it might be a waste for you. But we found it worthwhile and a money saver.  I never had anyone tell me they would not honor the coupons on anything.

We did not make campground reservations.  If we did, it was because it was a holiday time frame.  Often if you call a few days in advance, you'll be fine if you are worried.  I would however make reservations for very popular campgrounds like Bear Paw II in Valdez.  It's small and unique.  Lots of people want to camp there.

We did not find any problem with fitting in anywhere with our 36' coach and toad.  The thing you will notice is that the campgrounds are not fancy; often only have 30 amp service.  TV will be sparce; however we found wifi at lots of places.  Many of the state campgrounds will be "back ins", but they are often very spacious.

You need to post on here about your trip.  Many of us relive our trip through you.  Others follow you to get ideas on how they want to do their Alaskan Adventure.

Have fun!
Marsha~

I am one of those that make the trip "years ago" so I can't give you any up to date information. We used the information from the caravans booklets that helped plan our stops. We did not make reservations in AK., but I would definitely make reservation around Banff and Lake Louise. 

We did Alaska in 2012, as members of a S.M.A.R.T. caravan. The toursaver booklet was/is well worth the cost, saved us in the neighborhood of $300 (guesstimate). One example; We booked a Mt. McKinnley flight(using toursaver) around the mountain, when we arrived we were asked if we wanted a free upgrade to fly OVER the mountain because they had overbooked the 'around' flights. Didn't get it though, DW squealed on me being a heart patient and they withdrew the offer. Being in a caravan, we weren't concerned about CG reservations.I did notice that only 2 or 3 were full while we were  there, one was at Skagway near dockside, one was enroute to Denali, the other was near Ft. Richardson. We will make the trip again, but on our own, so we may spend as much time at one place as we wish.

Have a great trip and please_ DRIVE SAFELY AND SLOWLY, the drive to/from Alaska is half the enjoyment.

A little tip on something NOT TO MISS!!. Make sure you visit Haines Alaska, you can drive there from Haines Junction or from Whitehorse through Skagway but you would need to take the ferry from Skagway to Haines. Easier to just drive in and out from Haines Junction - it is a wonderful drive with great sites along the way...but I digress.

Make reservations at Oceanside RV Park - with Joyce and Kerry Towne - great small RV park right on the water with to die for views, but you want to be there the night Joyce has the crab feast -  she gets fresh dungenous crab from the boats on the dock and then all the people in the RV park have a pot luck and fresh steamed crab....it will make you Alaska trip!!

I also recommend you return via the Cassiar Highway - wonderful drive and a worthwhile side trip off the Cassiar to Hyder and if the salmon are running up the river go see the bears in Hyder! There is a park where you go on a walkway and watch the bears feed on the salmon. There are also two glaciers that meet the salt water right along the road to Hyder!!

Then continue down the Cassiar and then across RT 16 to Prince George and on to Jasper and then South towards home. You also may not know but they built a brand new cantelever glass walkway in Jasper National Park on Rt 93...they were building it when I was there last year and I heard it is now open....

Enjoy Alaska it is my home state and I love it there, any questions let me know!!

Jim

Well so far some great advise and ideas.  Sorry I have not been active on the forum, but we have been busy.  With a christening ( on Mothers Day) looking at a 55 and over community in Bethlehem PA, (not Israel) Tired of driving over the GWB. 

Had 4 tires put on MH today, and next week inspection and need to align the front end. Tires were wearing on the inside.  Than the MH will be ready for the trip.  Ordered the Tour Saver today as well.  Have been planning the trip for quite some time, and the bride is doing a great job.  Jim, my friend went to Alaska about 9 years ago, and he insisted that I have to stop in Hyder. The return trip is based on that stop.  Than we will spend about a week in Banf, Lake Louise, and Jasper. Hope it will not be as crowded in late August early September.

I have been reading the comments to the bride so she can get an idea where to book.  Jim thank you for the insight on Haines. we plan on taking the ferry to Skagway, on our way down to Hyder.  We also plan to take the ferry ( Tour Saver) to Juneau and might stay in hotel over night. Looking for anyone who did it.

Getting excited..... looking to do Salmon fishing, and more fishing, did I mention fishing?  Marsha, [email protected] I would love to get your spread sheet.

Now one more request, is there a little hole in the wall that you visited and is not on any map, book, or brochure?  Jim you sold us on Haines and the Crab dinner.

Well untill next time, thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.

Did I mention that I purchased a new camera NIKON D5300....Can I bore you with pictures?

Jim & Kathy Wecht

Not sure a ferry goes t Hyder?? in fact pretty sure it doesn't...however, while in Haines there is a small boat day Tour to Juneau that is an amazing trip and worth the time to take...

The small boat leaves Haines every morning early, empty and goes to Skagway to pick up passengers then returns to Haines to pick up additional passengers, (when I went, I boarded early and took the ride to Skagway and back, no additional charge and worth it)...then it heads to Juneau and Auk Bay - they stop to see whales and seals along the way, wonderful trip - then a bus picks you up in Auk Bay and transports you to downtown Juneau where you are free to explore for lunch and sightseeing, then in the afternoon you meet the bus again and they take you out to the Mendenhall Glacier on the way to Auk Bay for your return trip to Haines/Skagway - again stopping to see whales and seals and eagles etc...

It is a small locally owned family business in Haines and real nice people....worthy journey for sure! One of the best trips I have ever taken.

Go HERE! to read more about it. Coffee and juice and fresh rolls on the way over and the best seafood bisque on the return trip!!

You may be able to even overnight in Juneau and return on the next days trip, leaving the MH in Haines at the RV Park!!

I will try and think of a unique out of the way town also...putting my thinking cap on, but Haines is one of my favorite places, just beautiful and there is plenty of fishing on the Chilkoot River at the State Park and you will see bears!!

Have fun! Say hello to Joyce and Kerry at the RV Park for me!

Jim

Great advise Jim.  We will be staying in Oceanview in Haines.  We plan to take the ferry with the MH  to Skagway and continue on to Hyder. We also like your suggestion with the small boat tour.

Thanks again.  By the way nice blog and great pictures....

Jim & Kathy

Tin man said:
Great advise Jim.  We will be staying in Oceanview in Haines.  We plan to take the ferry with the MH  to Skagway and continue on to Hyder. We also like your suggestion with the small boat tour.

Thanks again.  By the way nice blog and great pictures....

Jim & Kathy

BTW - You can get your tickets for the boat tour from Joyce at the RV Park, she sells the tickets right there, just don't go on the day of the crab feast...you will not get back in time from the trip to enjoy the fresh crab...

Plan on at least 2 nights, maybe 3 if you take the boat tour one day - Haines is a wonderful little town and the view from the RV Park watching the cruise ships go by every evening is amazing.

I worked there as a camp hos last summer and it was wonderful!!!

Let me know how it goes and thanks for the Kudos on the blog - if you go back to last summer there are pics from Haines.

Jim

Jim

Those are some of the best pictures I have seen.  I hope mine are just half as good as yours.  Five weeks and counting. Two questions, Internet and TV. 

INTERNET FIRST, in Canada phone and  internet is expensive.  We have AT&T and Verizon phones.  So like Europe will get international service for calls.  Do the campgrounds have reliable WIFI?

TV; I am under the impression that SAT is almost non existent.  Do most of the campgrounds have cable? 

Any suggestions on fishing guides.  I have found that because of time restraints, it is better to use a guide and catch, than stumble around and fish.....

Glad you asked...

Internet - I used my Verizon Hotspot all over Alaska with no real problems - there is WiFi at the campground and free at the coffee shop a 3 minute walk from the campground - when I used it, I always bought a cup of coffee and a sweetroll, it is a little faster than the campground. But my Verizon hotspot worked great in the campground - ATT is about non-existent in Alaska, so it may or may not be a reliable connection. I did NOT use my Verizon Hotspot in Canada - they want a fortune - I was lucky most campgrounds in Canada had WiFi slow but good enough for email and banking - I also used a few McDonalds - egg MsMuffin and coffee and relaxed and used their free internet!

There is cable TV in the RV Park in Haines - you will need a double female connector which they have at the office, but I had one and carry one with me so if I ever need it, got one at Radio Shack for about 3 bucks. Sat is almost non-existent in most of Alaska with a small dish, you need one of those real big permanent ones for any chance at all - and there are huge mountains that block you view of the Southern sky - although there were a couple of the big bus class A's that managed to get a signal in Haines, but why with cable??? Most campgrounds I was in traveling Alaska do NOT have cable...but a few did and I managed to get the news and weather when I needed it!

There is a girl fishing guide who runs out of the marina a very short walk from the RV Park in Haines who is very good, Joyce at the campground has her cards and can get you in touch, but Joyce can also hook you up before you get there, contact her via email. HERE!

Tell her I told you about it....

BTW - here is the link to their website!

Tell them I said hello....

Just so you know and are not surprised - the RV Park in Haines is small but in the absolute best location with a great (fantastic) view but you will be packed in pretty tight...Joyce will help you get backed in, the other RV Park does NOT have a view and sits right between two main roads and is quite noisy...does have grass and some trees, but nothing to compare to being close to town and restaurants and that fabulous view....

Have a great time and thank you for the compliment on my pictures, it is what I do and one of my joys in life and great to be appreciated.

Any more questions - just post em...I will try to answer!!

Jim

ALASKA "
THE LAST FRONTIER
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
!
!
Getting ready for the trip of your lifetime. The Motor Home was serviced in Gaffney South Carolina on the return trip from Florida. Installed four new tires in May, two were replaced two years ago. Motor Home was inspected and is almost ready to go. "

This is a test. I am trying to set up way that I can update everyday our upcoming trip.  I am using pages (apple) and converting to pdf, than copy and paste to the forum. If someone know a better way I am open to suggestions. I will have to paste pictures, as attachments. I was hoping to set up a web page that I could ref. to.

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom