EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 7506 times)

justpassin

• ---
Dogs
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:54:39 PM »
How many full timers have thought about
leaving pets at home; and will you on your next trip?                       
Justpassinthrough

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »
?  If you are a fulltimer, don't you take your home with you?  If you leave them at home, wouldn't that mean you take them with you?  Just wondering...
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
Tom, you took the words right out of my keyboard.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
We're not fulltimers, but one reason we took the coach on our recent 5,200 miles round trip to the midwest was so we could take our two dogs along. We didn't want to leave them behind, nor did we like the thought of leaving them in a kennel.

This morning, we put the coach back in storage until the next trip. As we were about to leave, the dogs were watching us from their "perch" (window seat) in the bay window of the house. They appeared concerned that we were leaving on a trip without them, so I opened the front door, and they bolted into the coach.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:15:09 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »
Any time we go anywhere in our RV, the dog goes with us. We have no reason to leave him behind.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

SMR

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »
the dogs always go with us. they enjoy it as much as we do. one of the reasons we got into camping was to take the dogs with us, who knew how much we would enjoy it.....
Gonna put the world away for a minute......
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and our 2 dogs

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
I guess you mean part-timers, like me.

If I cannot take the doggies, I ain't going anywhere!

-Don-   Reno, NV
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank

Dan23

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 06:52:17 AM »

If you are considering abandoning your dogs, the dogs deserve new, caring owners. Ask around for help to find them decent homes.
Slide-free 1998 Winnebago Brave 30'
2009 Kawasaki KLR toad on carrier
If needed, wife follows with 2010 Mazda 3 hatch or 1995 Miata

whiteva

• ---
    • Nibbler the traveling squirrel
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:44:08 AM »
The coach belongs to the dog, she is nice enough to allow us to accompany her on trips.
Yep, diva dog, just ask her!
2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Nibbler & Shadeaux the black cat. http://www.acroflyer.com/nibbler/

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:13:58 AM »
Our dogs, one Red Miniature Dachshund (rescue), and one Heinz 57, 25# mix (rescue) goes with us wherever we go. It was one of the top five reasons we purchased a MH over traveling via common carrier, rental cars, and hotels.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:17:52 AM »
The whole reason we bought a RV was so that we could take our furkids.  We love to travel but absolutely HATE to leave our 'kids' behind even though we had friends take care of them.  So the solution was to buy a RV.  We used to travel with 2 big dogs and a cat, but unfortunately 1 of the dogs and the cat have since passed.  So we still travel with 1 very big dog.  But there will be additions in the future, you can count on that.  If I had to leave them behind I just wouldn't go anywhere, plain and simple.  They are family, and I could no more think of leaving them behind than I would one of my children (all grown now).
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »
Good to see so many with basically the same answers as we have.  We just bought this coach in January and one of the primary reasons we bought it was so we could take our old dog (blind and deaf) and two cats with us.  Not a part of the deciding factor but not inconsequential is the fact that it would cost $45 per day to board them and being locked up in a pen 24/7 (for the cats) would be a real shock to their system.  So, along with the fact that we avoid the motels with bed bugs galore and those that love to charge $10 per night per pet (pets don't use towels or soap or smoke), we just plain enjoy having the whole family together when we travel.  By the way, we are not full time or even part time RVers - just folks that like to hit the road from time to time.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

justpassin

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »
Do you get many complaints about your pets at the CG?
Justpassinthrough

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 02:56:32 PM »
Never, but my guys are well behaved.  For the most part all the pets people have are well behaved.  Have only found over the years a very small handful that are not.  They either bark too much, or cause a problem at the dog park.  Most campgrounds are quick to act on these guys.  Where we stayed for the winter there was 1 dog that was banned from the dog park. 
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

justpassin

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
Never, but my guys are well behaved.  For the most part all the pets people have are well behaved.  Have only found over the years a very small handful that are not.  They either bark too much, or cause a problem at the dog park.  Most campgrounds are quick to act on these guys.  Where we stayed for the winter there was 1 dog that was banned from the dog park.

That's good to hear. Was wondering how well behaved most pets are at the CG.
Justpassinthrough

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »
We've never had any complaints because we always pick up after our dog and he makes no noise. Sadly, that's not the case with everyone in campgrounds. Always carry and use poop bags and keep the hairy kids quiet and you'll have no problems.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

psusan3113

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 04:59:58 AM »
We have three dogs... large, medium and small.  This is our first trip in the r.v. so the little one is going first.  Our adult son is living in our home and loves Jake and Batman so he will be watching over them for our 13 week adventure.  We are going to miss them but I think until we know what we are doing it's best not to complicate our travels.  What do you think.... John and Sue P.

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »
Our two Shelties would bark if they could see people walking by. For some reason they would not bark at people in the sites on either side of us.
When we left them in the motor home we closed all of the curtains and windows and if it was hot we left the AC on.
In eight years we had one complaint.
A woman across the street and three sites down in a park model told us they barked all the time we were gone. After she left the lady next door who had overheard the complaint said the woman that complained was full of it. She said they only barked because the woman and a friend walked through our site right next to our motor home and the dogs heard them talking.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:09:48 AM by Clay L »
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

justpassin

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
Everyone needs to make sure their pets
are as quiet as possible. Sounds like most
of you do.
Justpassinthrough

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
Ours is quiet but sometimes he leaves his lights on....welcome to our campsite
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

justpassin

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 07:02:22 AM »
He looks friendly.
Justpassinthrough

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »
He looks friendly.
Actually Cody is very friendly. But I would not challenge him in a dark campsite.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »
Do you have a talking parrot?  Are you sure Cody's name is not Jesus?  Maybe his middle name???
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
No Really, Cody is very friendly. sometimes too much but because of Doberman reputation and some movies most people give them a lot of room. Those of us that have dobies laugh about it, in fact the last trip had three dobies in the park. Our black and tan, a red and tan, and one ivory. It was common ground for us to get together and talk about our fur kids.

It does make for an awesome picture.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

DavisK

• ---
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
How many people leave their kids at home because they are not well behaved or make too much noise?
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »
How many people leave their kids at home because they are not well behaved or make too much noise?

I can think of a few that I wish they had!
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 09:15:33 PM »
Kids are supposed to make noise, and misbehavior is a learning experience. I have had the most hilarious experiences in campgrounds with kids - not my own. I guess it's the grampa thing....
Most notable was an epic super soaker fight. I think their parents thought I was crazy, but they appreciated a break..  :)
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »
I can think of a few that I wish they had!

(NOTE:Wander was replying to a question "how many people leave their kids at home because they are too noisy or not well behaved?")

DITTO wander,  DITTO...

Fact: Campground I summer in.. Thankfully at the time I did not have a towed,, But a group of 3 kids wend down the road keying every car and pickup,  Hundreds of dollars in damage to each vehicle..  Easily hundreds of thousand in damages total..   

Now the funny side of it:

A young boy (not involved) ask a group of people, including the park manager, what was up.. They told him, he looked at the scratches in one woman's car and said "That's my brother's Tag"..

Manager: What site are you one
Child: I'll show you

Yep.  it was his brother who'd done at least some of them.   Idiot would not give up his partners either so he took the entire cost, plus penality, plus whatever the judge gave him.. OUCH..  (I suspect he gave up his partners later).

Now that is one set of parents who'd have been a lot happier had they left Junior at home.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »
Hey, I love kids. I used to be one.

I come from a large family that grew up camping, so I know the drill. But every now and then, we'll be parked next to someone that I wish was set up elsewhere. Like rowdy kids in a restaurant, it's usually the parents' fault.

Now, back to dogs...
I don't have gray hair. I have wisdom highlights.

Angelbunnie13182

• ---
  • Home is wherever the army sends us!
    • RV Life Military Style
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
I know we are bringing our dogs when we move into our rv. Wouldn't have it any other way. Here are my poochies. Tucker is the white chihuahua maltese and Zelda is our Sheltie.
2015 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen Lite 356qbq

"The Pod" aka "Place of Duty"

🌺 Christina LaPlaca 🌺

Hosted by Over The Network