Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justpassin

How many full timers have thought about
leaving pets at home; and will you on your next trip?                       

?  If you are a fulltimer, don't you take your home with you?  If you leave them at home, wouldn't that mean you take them with you?  Just wondering...

Tom, you took the words right out of my keyboard.

We're not fulltimers, but one reason we took the coach on our recent 5,200 miles round trip to the midwest was so we could take our two dogs along. We didn't want to leave them behind, nor did we like the thought of leaving them in a kennel.

This morning, we put the coach back in storage until the next trip. As we were about to leave, the dogs were watching us from their "perch" (window seat) in the bay window of the house. They appeared concerned that we were leaving on a trip without them, so I opened the front door, and they bolted into the coach.

Any time we go anywhere in our RV, the dog goes with us. We have no reason to leave him behind.

the dogs always go with us. they enjoy it as much as we do. one of the reasons we got into camping was to take the dogs with us, who knew how much we would enjoy it.....

justpassin said:
I guess you mean part-timers, like me.

If I cannot take the doggies, I ain't going anywhere!

-Don-  Reno, NV

justpassin said:

If you are considering abandoning your dogs, the dogs deserve new, caring owners. Ask around for help to find them decent homes.

The coach belongs to the dog, she is nice enough to allow us to accompany her on trips.
Yep, diva dog, just ask her!

Our dogs, one Red Miniature Dachshund (rescue), and one Heinz 57, 25# mix (rescue) goes with us wherever we go. It was one of the top five reasons we purchased a MH over traveling via common carrier, rental cars, and hotels.

The whole reason we bought a RV was so that we could take our furkids.  We love to travel but absolutely HATE to leave our 'kids' behind even though we had friends take care of them.  So the solution was to buy a RV.  We used to travel with 2 big dogs and a cat, but unfortunately 1 of the dogs and the cat have since passed.  So we still travel with 1 very big dog.  But there will be additions in the future, you can count on that.  If I had to leave them behind I just wouldn't go anywhere, plain and simple.  They are family, and I could no more think of leaving them behind than I would one of my children (all grown now).

Good to see so many with basically the same answers as we have.  We just bought this coach in January and one of the primary reasons we bought it was so we could take our old dog (blind and deaf) and two cats with us.  Not a part of the deciding factor but not inconsequential is the fact that it would cost $45 per day to board them and being locked up in a pen 24/7 (for the cats) would be a real shock to their system.  So, along with the fact that we avoid the motels with bed bugs galore and those that love to charge $10 per night per pet (pets don't use towels or soap or smoke), we just plain enjoy having the whole family together when we travel.  By the way, we are not full time or even part time RVers - just folks that like to hit the road from time to time.

Never, but my guys are well behaved.  For the most part all the pets people have are well behaved.  Have only found over the years a very small handful that are not.  They either bark too much, or cause a problem at the dog park.  Most campgrounds are quick to act on these guys.  Where we stayed for the winter there was 1 dog that was banned from the dog park. 

ruthandken CDN said:
Never, but my guys are well behaved.  For the most part all the pets people have are well behaved.  Have only found over the years a very small handful that are not.  They either bark too much, or cause a problem at the dog park.  Most campgrounds are quick to act on these guys.  Where we stayed for the winter there was 1 dog that was banned from the dog park.

That's good to hear. Was wondering how well behaved most pets are at the CG.

We've never had any complaints because we always pick up after our dog and he makes no noise. Sadly, that's not the case with everyone in campgrounds. Always carry and use poop bags and keep the hairy kids quiet and you'll have no problems.

Wendy

We have three dogs... large, medium and small.  This is our first trip in the r.v. so the little one is going first.  Our adult son is living in our home and loves Jake and Batman so he will be watching over them for our 13 week adventure.  We are going to miss them but I think until we know what we are doing it's best not to complicate our travels.  What do you think.... John and Sue P.

Our two Shelties would bark if they could see people walking by. For some reason they would not bark at people in the sites on either side of us.
When we left them in the motor home we closed all of the curtains and windows and if it was hot we left the AC on.
In eight years we had one complaint.
A woman across the street and three sites down in a park model told us they barked all the time we were gone. After she left the lady next door who had overheard the complaint said the woman that complained was full of it. She said they only barked because the woman and a friend walked through our site right next to our motor home and the dogs heard them talking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom