What happened to over-the-cab beds in class-b RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanderon

I've been investigating used Class B's, looking to spend around $15k. I've found mostly a limited selection of Pleasure Ways and Roadtreks and am learning about these.

Intriguingly I keep running across old models like the Airstream B-190 that has an over-the-cab bed. While I imagine this has some impact on handling, it seems to make so much sense, as it would allow more variety in usage, e.g. friends hanging out while I rest upstairs, and just generally opens things up so much.

Why doesn't anyone seem to do this anymore? What's the best model to look into if that's what I want - not many seem available?

Also, while I like the over-head bed, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the larger rear bathroom (I don't understand the need for space here.) Are there models that have a more compact bathroom, or at least one that it doesn't seem like the master bed is next to a very visible toilet?

The reason for my interest is in the appearance of having a van instead of a small class C or B+ - this is important for many situations, like city parking and festivals that require RV permits.

Thanks!

The addition of an over-the-cab bed essentially makes it a small Class C instead of a B. Sometimes they designate it a B+, like the Gulfstream BT [Touring] Cruiser.
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/conquest-products/btouring/btouring-home.htm

If your objective is to stay small, their are C's like the Four Winds Majestic that are as little as 19 feet.
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2010-Four-Winds-Majestic-19G-112357232

If you are wiling to consider 22 ft, there are many choices, e.g. Safari Damara, Winnie Outlook, R-Vision, Phoenix Cruiser, etc. Go to a RV ad site such as rvt.com and use the Advanced Search feature to specify size, type (include C as well as B), price range, year, etc. and you should find many that meet your criteria.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom