Which RV Tradeshows and Rallies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddo

Which are the largest and best RV shows and rallies in terms of vendors, not including the RV manufacturers and RV dealers?

DW and I would like to attend a few RV shows to help expand our knowledge of the RV lifestyle and products and services that will help enhance the experience. We're not interested in RV manufacturer and dealer exhibits.

We are located in the Pacific Northwest but we'll be meandering along Route 66 and Southwest, ending up in Arizon for the winter.

The rally in Redmond,OR in August would be a good place to start.  Then start visiting dealers and asking questions.

x2 on the FMCA Rally in Redmond this August since you're in the NW anyway. Another good one is the FMCA Rally in Indio in January. And Escapees Escapade is going to be in Tucson next spring.

Don't forget the RV (vendor) show at Quartzsite - late January.

That said, I think the FMCA national rallies are the best. Try to get to the Redmond, OR FMCA rally - August 13 to 16th.

And if you miss Redmond FMCA will be at the Fairplex in Pomona CA March 2015. Also Good Sam is returning to the Phoenix Speedway next Spring.

Jeff,

I looked just a few weeks ago to see if Good Sam had announced a 2015 rally. But since they charge so much for vendors to display I think you miss some of the best.
ken

Daddo, I agree with the others about FMCA rallies.  The huge advantage is that many of the manufacturers are represented and the dealers aren't as "pushy" as they might be when you go to their lots.  Also, they often have models for test driving so if one interests you it's an easy thing to set up a test drive.  You can get into the FMCA rallies with a daily pass but joining would be good if you want a motorhome.  They put out a pretty good magazine with a lot of technical articles so that alone is worth the annual dues.

ArdraF

We'll have our DP before then so we're not interested in the new models the manufactures have to show or the inventory on hand at dealers. What we are really looking for at these venues are all of the aftermarket vendors demonstrating products and services that will hopefully enhance our RV experience. We're planning to be on the road 6-9 months of the year and since we're starting from scratch, we'll likely be able to add a smile to the faces of some retailers at these shows. I am also very interested in any information sessions that will help expand our RV and travel knowledge.

It sounds like the FMCA rally in Redmond, OR would be a good one to attend and I've pencilled it onto our calendar. Since my DW retires the first of August, that event may also makes a good "first run" vent in preparation for our first big retirement trip starting the beginning of Sept.

One of the big ticket items we'll be looking for is to get a tow bar and base plate for our 2008 CR-V, including a braking systems and the complete installation. Do companies such as Roadmaster and Blue Ox usually attend these events and if so do they generally offer show discounts and at-the-show installations? I've been doing a lot with motorcycles and many vendors offer that sort of thing at motorcycle shows.

DW and I would like to attend a few RV shows to help expand our knowledge of the RV lifestyle and products and services that will help enhance the experience. We're not interested in RV manufacturer and dealer exhibits.

What are you expecting to get from "vendors" who aren't either RV dealers or RV manufacturers? Nobody else is going to bring RVs to a show for you to see and touch. The non-dealer vendors will be businesses promoting RV accessories, RV services, campgrounds, insurance, etc. There really aren't any shows that try to provide unbiased (non-sales) information about the lifestyle and industry. Life On Wheels used to do that, but that show no longer exists since the founder dies a few years ago.

Large RV rallies (e.g. FMCA National and Good Sam "The Rally") often have some seminars of various aspects of RVing but they tend to be narrow-focused, e.g. "Using Your Splendide Washer" or "Knowing Your Diesel Chassis".

Gary RV Roamer said:
What are you expecting to get from "vendors" who aren't either RV dealers or RV manufacturers? Nobody else is going to bring RVs to a show for you to see and touch. The non-dealer vendors will be businesses promoting RV accessories, RV services, campgrounds, insurance, etc. There really aren't any shows that try to provide unbiased (non-sales) information about the lifestyle and industry. Life On Wheels used to do that, but that show no longer exists since the founder dies a few years ago.

Large RV rallies (e.g. FMCA National and Good Sam "The Rally") often have some seminars of various aspects of RVing but they tend to be narrow-focused, e.g. "Using Your Splendide Washer" or "Knowing Your Diesel Chassis".

Gary, you mentioned both of the items I am looking for at a RV rally:
  • The non-dealer vendors will be businesses promoting RV accessories, RV services, campgrounds, insurance, etc.
  • seminars of various aspects of RVing but they tend to be narrow-focused, e.g. "Using Your Splendide Washer" or "Knowing Your Diesel Chassis".

I recognize that these will be narrow in focus and biased, but that is fine as I feel a well tuned BS meter will enable me to sift out some value from those which target our areas of interest.

Daddo said:
One of the big ticket items we'll be looking for is to get a tow bar and base plate for our 2008 CR-V, including a braking systems and the complete installation. Do companies such as Roadmaster and Blue Ox usually attend these events and if so do they generally offer show discounts and at-the-show installations? I've been doing a lot with motorcycles and many vendors offer that sort of thing at motorcycle shows.

Both Blue OX and Roadmaster should have dealers at the show - installations are normally avavilable. They will normally also have factory displays/reps at the show - sometimes with a dealer. Roadmaster also usually brings a "factory" repair truck and will do repairs for existing owners. They also go through the RV parking and clean and inspect existing tow bars. If one is found in need of service they will leave a note. They usually offer show discounts, but I don't know how those stack up to what you might negotiate from a local dealer. I own a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and Brakemaster brake system and a Blue OX Tru-Center.

ken

I find that there is a big benefit to browsing through the new coaches and that is to keep up with the changes (New toys) that have been added. Many can be added to your current RV to keep it up to date.

And besides, who doesn't need a "Wish List"?

Jeff said:
I find that there is a big benefit to browsing through the new coaches and that is to keep up with the changes (New toys) that have been added. Many can be added to your current RV to keep it up to date.

And besides, who doesn't need a "Wish List"?
I readily agree Jeff, but for me, at this time, I'm more interested in learning more about RV related products and information that RVs themselves.

I retire in less than 3 weeks, my wife follows into retirement at the end of July and (ending inspection) we now have our 42 ft Monaco Dynasty so our wish list is pretty much complete for now, other than dressing the new girl up a bit.  :D Life is good  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looks like March 2015 could be a crazy month with rallies for Escapees (Tucson), Good Sam (Phoenix) and FMCA (Pomona CA) !!

You mentioned having a Monaco Dynasty.  You also can join Monaco International and attend their rallies which are more product-specific than the more broadly-based rallies like FMCA, Good Sam, and Escapees.  Monaco will have a pre-FMCA rally in Coos Bay, Oregon and you can either go to Redmond on your own or in a Monaco caravan.  The caravan is good for owners who need some items fixed because the Monaco techs will be there.  They don't do major repair items, but usually will do two relatively simple fixes.  You can learn a huge amount of information from Monaco itself, from their seminars, or from other owners.  At one of the rallies, Jerry helped our next door neighbor who was telling everyone that Jerry taught him more in a couple of hours than he had learned in all the years of motorhome ownership.  I think this is the type of environment you are envisioning.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom