Recommendations for RV Trip in Southeast US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drisley

Taking the family north out of Florida starting early July - for 3 weeks. We were originally thinking of going as far north as Niagara, but now we're thinking due to the drive time and our 3 week window, we'd spend too much time driving and not enough time chillin'. :)

So, think we're going to stay further south. When I was a kid, we traveled by RV in the southeast all the time, but I can't say I remember many of the best destinations.

Recommendations?

I know I want to take them to Mammoth Cave. And there's the Smoky's area. But, looking at SC, NC, VA, WV, etc.... not where where the nest places to go are. I see a lot of national forests and the like, but it all looks alike on the map. :)

How old are the children and what do they like to do?

ArdraF

Atlanta area: Stone Mountain (great camp site), Coke Museum, US largest aquarium; Children's Museum
Huntsville: NASA facility
Mobile AL area: USS Alabama, Tubing down the Styx River, Gulf Shores-Fort Morgan; 36 hole frisbee golf; Mardi Gras Museum
Knoxville: Great Smokey Mountain National Park; Dollywood

Tim

Kids ever read Misty of Chincoteague?  If not, get them to read it and take them there, get a picture at the Misty statue.

Oh, Bill, you are so right!  I LOVED the Misty book when I was a kid and still haven't gotten there.  One of these days....

There are tons of Civil War sites to visit if the children are old enough to know about the Civil War.

How about the old cities of St. Augustine FL and Savannah GA.  Show them "Gone with the Wind" and take them to some of the old plantations.  Oak Alley along the Mississippi River is beautiful.  If they like music there's Nashville and the Grand Ole Opry.

Just Google each state you want to visit and add tourist attractions and you'll find more than you could possibly do in three weeks, three years, or even three decades!

ArdraF

You may enjoy Natural Bridge, Va.  With you being from Florida, I think Outer Banks may be a disappointment for you.

Two of the suggestions were Huntsville and the Smokey Mountains. For Huntsville I would suggest staying in Decatur Al at Point Mallard park. Nice city ran park with lots to do. 18 hole golf course water park with slides and wave pool. Also a indoor ice rink. Nice bike and hiking trails along the river. Very friendly and well ran. 20 to 30 mins to Huntsville. Water and elec on the sites at $25 with God Sams.  Smokey Mountains I would stay at Up the Creek campground. Very clean and nice sites. Only down side is no shower house. Easy access to the Smokey Mountains park. Lots of thing to do in the park. You can go into Gattlinburg for shows and tourist stuff. Not my cup of tea but to each there own. We did take in the dinner show for Dolly Parton. The camp is 10 min out of the tourist area and 15 min to enter the park. Price depends on what site you get.

Back
Top Bottom