Fuse Bypass Switch - Learned Something New

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

A couple of months ago we had our toad (2013 Sonic) set up with the base plate, tail light kit and fuse bypass at Camping World.  They did a great job and I have towed the car a couple of times since then.  Last week (when not towing), we started having trouble getting the key out of the ignition especially if we just turned it to accessory or run positions without starting the car.  To get it to release, we had to start the vehicle and then turn it off and the key would return to the Lock position.  Made an appointment to have it looked at by the dealer.  Then yesterday I noticed that when I put the ignition into acc position, none of the dash lights would come on as they normally do for a few seconds.  That turned my light bulb on - the fuse bypass switch was mounted on the bottom lip of the dash (lack of a better position that the bypass kit would reach) so you have to turn it on and off sort of by braille (finger touch - forward for on and backward for off).  It was in the off position and once I turned it on the key easily returned to the locked position and could be removed.  So there is obviously is an electronic element to removing the key.  Good to know that when towing (key in acc), it can't be removed unless the bypass is returned to normal position.

Back
Top Bottom