What hitch do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhskick

Picking up new trailer in a week or so. Have always towed 1996 coleman Yukon pop up with GMC Yukon with just hitch that came with it.
What do I need with this set up?
TV 2014 Silverado 1500 High Country 4WD Crew short bed. 5.3 L 3.42 rear end trailer brake control stabili track W/ electronic trailer sway control.

Travel Trailer 2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS Gross Weight rating 6250  Dry Hitch weight 533

Any help greatly appreciated.

weight distribution/sway control for the trailer. Do I need it?  Truck Has 2"OEM  receiver. Sorry Not very clear.

After posting my questions on this forum and talking with several folks towing TT's I wouldn't tow without one. If I were you I would read about the following: E2 Equalizer, a Reese a Dual Cam and Blue Ox Sway Pro.

When I bought my TT the dealership was so lost/confused on the WDH/Sway Control topic. Everyone there recommended something different and they kept contradicting each other.  It got to the point that I requested my deposit back and purchased a different RV somewhere else.

I ended up buying the Blue Ox Sway Pro since I was farmilar with it.  The a Reese Dual Cam has a large following as does the Equalizer series. I think the safety added by sway & weight distribution is well worth the expense. 

I would not tow without both WD and sway control. As in the other post you will get all kinds of opinions on what is best and so much info it will confuse ya. My background in this is I tow across the state of Iowa many times a year. Bad cross winds cut across I 80 and sway control is a must. I used the reese setup that has a separate brake type sway control. This was good for WD but not so good for sway. I then purchased the Equalizer hitch system. Very good for both functions. Dealer had no idea how to properly set it up and completely messed the install up. Worked with the factory to get it installed myself correct. They were great to work with and sent out new brackets at no cost to me to correct the damage the dealer did in the install. Once set up correct the system works very well. Reese and Blue Ox have came out with systems that compete with the Equalizer that have a cam type system.  I have heard they work very well with not as much noise as the Equalizer but I can not comment on those since I did not own one.

Thanks for info. I will call my dealer for pricing but have found good pricing on Amazon. Install looks pretty straight forward.

I think you will find that you can install better than the dealer is you have basic tool knowledge since you will most likely read the instructions. I have seen post after post of bad installs by the RV dealers.

I will be at Newton Iowa for the race this weekend. Blue Ox is the camp sponsor. They are suppose to have a booth with factory reps on hand. If you need and questions answered you can post them on here and I can ask them for you. Good pick.

Sorry JH I missed read the post last night. Must have been bed time. I was thinking it was you saying you got the Blue Ox. Duh

Bought this one off of Amazon. I found good reviews and good price.

Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit - 1,000 lbs Capacity
by Eaz-Lift

Back
Top Bottom