Younger Adult RVers in Southern California? Ages 30 to 50 do you exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisg91364

Hi RV Community,

My wife and I have been RVing for the last 8 years and just upgraded to a newer coach. We would like to find a group of younger generation RVers for the summer and moving forward. Do not get me wrong we like all aged weekend warriors but looking for a group that would have more in common with. I have tried a couple other online websites but a no go. Any help would do and hope all of you reading has an excellent summer!!!

Chris

I remember a couple of young RVers like you in the early history of our RV Forum.  Their names are Terry and Betty Brewer.  If you're following this forum, you'll see their names mentioned frequently. 

They put up with us "oldsters".  Tom was 62  and I was 56 when we met.  They must have thought us ancient, but we forgot all about age because we were having so much fun discovering this lifestyle together along with many "older" members of the RV Forum.  That was 19 years ago and we still love reading about their adventures and those of their new friends.  They're keeping us forever young!  Don't lock into the age thing.  There are plenty of people out there whose zest for living and exploring will feed your enthusiasm.

There are but there are probably not that many. The licensing fee for a car is ridiculously high in California and I can only imagine what it is for an RV. For young people with a living to make and bills to pay, an RV is probably not at the top of the priority list.

I'm sure there are many younger RVers there.  We first started RVing when we lived in S. California in 1972 and we were
in our mid-30s.  We've been at it ever since.

The problem with finding these people is that many are working and have young families so they want to spend time with their family when they have free time.  I should think you might find some at the various campgrounds in the area.  If you also have children, then it's they who will get acquainted first with the parents meeting later.  Go to family-friendly campgrounds, e.g. ones with playgrounds and swimming pools.  We had no children so tended to move around a lot, more of a "sightseeing" mode than a "camping" mode.  It depends on the type of young RVers you're trying to find.

ArdraF

Many of the younger RVers we met in So CA were at one of the buy in parks, in our case Silent Valley.  Lots of room, lots of stuff for families and a good all round experience.  I am not promoting this one as it is one of many and many allow a visitation and require a sales presentation.  You may find one for you as we did with Silent Valley.  We are now in Montana so it is no longer one of our regular stops, turned in our membership.  We do still have friends who belong so a stop may still be in the offing.  :)

Just hit the 5-0 mark in Feb..... I feel young, my kids think I am old. Wife has 1.5yr on me. we are out of Las Vegas. I just took a College teaching job this year. Plan is to travel the summers away.

OH BTW that summer thing starts in T minus 16 days!

I am 42 and my wife 37 and we have a 6 y/o daughter and we live in the southern California desert. We get out as often as possible in the summer to escape the summer heat. We have met several families at campgrounds around our age just by setting up camp and walking around the campground. I enjoy fishing and my daughter enjoys swimming so we always seem to meet people in both manners. My daughter also enjoys the playgrounds and she tends to make friends quickly there and we're usually there with her and we meet the parents and strike up some interesting conversations. There are plenty of us at the campgrounds and most are quite friendly. I'm not sure how many are on this forum but I have come across a few here.

Tom and Margi said:
I remember a couple of young RVers like you in the early history of our RV Forum.  Their names are Terry and Betty Brewer.  If you're following this forum, you'll see their names mentioned frequently. 
They put up with us "oldsters".  Tom was 62  and I was 56 when we met.  They must have thought us ancient, but we forgot all about age because we were having so much fun discovering this lifestyle together along with many "older" members of the RV Forum.  That was 19 years ago and we still love reading about their adventures and those of their new friends.  They're keeping us forever young!  Don't lock into the age thing.  There are plenty of people out there whose zest for living and exploring will feed your enthusiasm.

Margi,

Blush blush.  I agree AGE is a mental thing.  We never ever gave ones age a thought when we met  people camping or traveling or  sitting around campfire.  I tended  to gravitate toward folks who were  positive, enthusiastic, fun, interesting, intelligent, gracious, kind, courteous, giving, outgoing  and age was never a factor.

But  I do understand if one is looking for a playdate for their children some of us oldsters with out kids or  grandkids  would not fit the bill.  Many good suggestions have been given here on where to  find "like kind."

Chris,

We are not out in California but we have been members here for about a year now.  We may come in as probably the youngest regular attenders on this forum. 

I just had my 35th birthday a couple days ago and my wife comes in at 31 years young :) 

I love the RV community and never felt age has been an obstacle at the parks.  Last year we did a cross country trip with my newborns Godparents (50's-60's) last year.  They are a ton of fun to hang out with.  My only pre requisites are if Im not going to make age an issue...NEITHER CAN THEY!  Many times seasoned individuals want to be accepted by the younger generations but constantly remind me of my age. LOL

Jen and I do get some looks sometimes.  I mean after all.....we roll as if its a full time set-up.  But honestly...my intentions are to hopefully take a leave of absence next year and do JUST THAT!  Maybe we can cross paths next Summer.  We plan on RV'ing to Washington State and jumping on an Alaskan cruise over there and working our way back.

Glad your here my friend.  This is a GREAT forum and has helped me out with wonderful knowledge over my year with them. 

IMHO, (39 here), most people our age use our RV's to complement other activities, as opposed to RV'ing for the sake of RV'ing itself.

In SoCal, offroad racing is one activity that comes to mind.  I've seen THOUSANDS (actually, tens of thousands) of people in thousands of RV's out dry camping in the Mojave at the King of the Hammers race.

29f / 35 m  but out of CA  but when you are full timing  i guess it would not matter to much where you are from .. its where your going 

hope to come over that way soon to go out on  us1 i think it is

When my oldest son started calling me 'the old man', I reminded him that  "you're only 20 years behind me". When his son started calling him 'the old man', he reminded him that "you're only 20 years behind me".

I feel like a dinosaur in this discussion  :(

Tom said:
When my oldest son started calling me 'the old man', I reminded him that  "you're only 20 years behind me". When his son started calling him 'the old man', he reminded him that "you're only 20 years behind me".

If you are a dinosaur, what does that  make me as I think I at least have 10 on you if not more!    :)

No comment Jim  ;D But we have a grandson in his mid thirties and a great granddaughter about to be a teenager  :eek:

You may be closer than I thought as my oldest grand son is in his 30s and the oldest great grand daughter is 14 going on 15 this year.  But I started late, got married at 24+.

Lots of those younger folks out there, used to be them!  Jolene and I started in 72, in very early 20's.  Most others at that time in our age group were in tents. 

We were in a tent on wheels.  Here and there you will meet up and meet again.  Enjoy the trip!

We RVed primarily with three couples when all our kids were in Grade School and younger. They all were acquaintances from our community, church and business. 

Chris and I started RVing in our 30's. Several of our kids had RVs when they were in their 30s & early forties; One used to borrow our prior motorhome when she and our SIL were in their late 20's/early 30's. No experience or reports of, "strange looks in campgrounds".

Tom said:

My Mom reminds me that she and Dad are still "Middle-Aged" at 63 and 65.  I just told her she's at the upper end of middle age, and I'm in the lower end of middle aged.

They're shopping for their ...jeez.... must be 7th RV?  We had 3 different TC's when I was a boy, then they've had 2 bumper pulls and now a 5th.  Yep. 7th.  :laughing:

Of course, I've gone from a 70's C to a converted box truck "Super C" and back to a '92 C.  It's good to have something else in common with Dad.  Just last night I was explaining everything I've learned about 6V systems. :)

Back
Top Bottom