What do these do ( picture attached )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

There are two items on the dashboard that are shown in the instrument panel but do not carry a description and I can't fiqure out what they
do. Can anyone help with an explanation.
One on the left seems to have a light bulb on it and it turns, the one on the right is red, it does not appear to be a latching switch and
it could be lighted but nothing happens when I push it.

Attachments

• Horizon dashboard.pdf
    57.4 KB · Views: 223
The asterisk for item 5 suggests that you look at your Freightliner chassis manual for that instrument panel.

What a timely question (for me) - Thanks Adun015. I just came in from our 2006 Winnebago Journey 34H (Freightliner Chassis and same dash) after taking a few photos of my dash to post the same question.

I can say that I have ever seen the Indicator light come on (upper left of dash) and the switch (upper right) is a momentary switch. If depressed (push the right side) it sounds like I can hear a relay or something click. When I take my finger off the switch it returns to its normal position (as shown, left side down).

So I look forward to someone's insight as to what they are for.

Thanks,
Russ

Attachments

• IMG_0513Text.JPG
    IMG_0513Text.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 146
The 'thing' on the left is the infrared eye (receiver) for the radio remote.  The switch on the right I think switches your odometer from miles to Km and/or resets the odo.

As a 2000 Horizon owner, I can confirm that the switch on the right is for the odometer.  I'd have to double check, but I think a quick push changes to km and holding it resets, but I may be wrong.  I don't recall having the thing on the left, but I can double check that as well.  I know I don't have a radio remote, a I have an aftermarket radio.

The switch on the right when pushed once switches from total odometer miles to trip miles. When you hold it down in the trip position it will reset trip miles to zero.
The knob on the left side on mine rotates for changing the brightness of the dash lights. If yours is just a bulb then I can't say what's it for. FL will know if you give them a shout with your vin.

Mavarick said:
The switch on the right when pushed once switches from total odometer miles to trip miles.

Mavarick-

On my 2000 Horizon, there are two separate odometer screens.  One in the speedo is total miles and one in the tach is trip, so they never switch from total to trip, just from miles to KM.  I see on Russ's 2006, there's no screen in the tach.  I suspect the OP's 2001 is like my 2000, but I may be wrong.  I will try to get over to my coach tonight or tomorrow to double check the layout.

Mavarick said:
...The knob on the left side on mine rotates for changing the brightness of the dash lights. If yours is just a bulb then I can't say what's it for.
You must not have read my earlier reply - the 'thing' on the left is an infrared eye or receiver for the radio remote control.

Scott, I hear you as there are so many different variations you can't be sure either way. I described mine on a 2003, and my bil's 2006. It looks like my manual so I listed what I have.

John, I read your post but have nothing with infrared remote on my 2003 dash so can't say one way or the other.  It could very well be just that but I was saying I couldn't be sure because I don't have it.

If you list out enough different options sometimes one will figure out exactly what they have.

It seems it could perform a variety of different functions. I checked the Freightliner Chassis manual as suggested by Tom and the dash layout in it is completely different than the dash lay out in the coach as I posted.
Mine does have a odometer reading on the speedometer and on the RPM it has trip miles like some posters have indicated. Maybe one is a reset for that because I could not find any reference on resetting trip miles anywhere. So trial and error is in my future it seems. Have to check and see if it has anything to do with dash brightness when I get home.

So much to learn. ???

I have a 2003 Itasca IKP 36LD motor home.

I looked up the electrical drawings on the Winnebago website.  The layout of the dashboard is shown on page 9 of Dwg: 141296.

It shows the switch on the right as "Trip Reset".
It shows the switch or control on the left to be a 2 wire device that goes to the Freightliner wiring.

I pushed the switch on the right witch is a momentary unit and found that it changed the odometer reading from the total mileage to the trip mileage. If you hold the switch down for a few seconds, it will reset the trip mileage to zero.

The knob on the left is a rheostat which controls the level of meter lighting on the dash. I could not determine any other function of the knob.

This is what I found on my MH and might not the the same on other Itasca years and models.

Sorry, Mavarick already described what the items are for. We both have the same year and model. I should have read all of the posts before I made mine.

Sorry it took me so long to get back, but I've been having computer troubles.  Attached is a photo of my dash.  I believe my 2000 should be about the same as Alan's 2001, but I may be wrong.

The knob on the upper left with the picture of the light on it does adjust the lights in the instruments.  However, in my experience, the gauge lights are pretty dim even when turned all the way up.

The "switch" on the upper right that isn't really a switch is for the odometers.  Push it briefly and it resets the trip odometer which is a screen in the tachometer.  Push it and hold it longer, and it changes both odometers from standard to metric or back.

Alan, let us know if your panel is something different.

Attachments

• Dash.JPG
    Dash.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 45
judway said:
I have a 2003 Itasca IKP 36LD motor home.

I looked up the electrical drawings on the Winnebago website.  The layout of the dashboard is shown on page 9 of Dwg: 141296.

It shows the switch on the right as "Trip Reset".
It shows the switch or control on the left to be a 2 wire device that goes to the Freightliner wiring.

I pushed the switch on the right witch is a momentary unit and found that it changed the odometer reading from the total mileage to the trip mileage. If you hold the switch down for a few seconds, it will reset the trip mileage to zero.

The knob on the left is a rheostat which controls the level of meter lighting on the dash. I could not determine any other function of the knob.

This is what I found on my MH and might not the the same on other Itasca years and models.

Same on mine, confirmed over the week-end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom