Which color scheme looks better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelbunnie13182

Hi. I need help deciding on what colors I'm going to paint the walls in the main living rm/kitchen. The couch is what comes with the rv, I ordered the rug already. But can't decide on the wall color, light or dark. Trying to go with the colors in the rug.

Christina L.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 137
Personally I prefer lighter shades because darker ones make the interior look smaller.

ArdraF

Hummmm  The Dark paint brings out the rug colors while the light paint washes out (mutes) the rug.  I am not sure which color goes best with the couch and woodwork.  I think I would base color on couch but from picture I could not say either color is "right". 

Sorry I am of little help.  I have been accused of having all my taste in my mouth  ::)
Jennifer

Are you painting the wallpaper below the wood chair rail at the bottom of the windows?

If so, light above, dark below.  If not, the paper is a nice color that looks good by the rug.  Go lighter above.

MT4Runner said:
Are you painting the wallpaper below the wood chair rail at the bottom of the windows?

If so, light above, dark below.  If not, the paper is a nice color that looks good by the rug.  Go lighter above.

Hmmm.. I never thought of two shades. The chair rail is going to be a light cream color. I like that idea a lot though. Thx! ?

ferfer said:
Hummmm  The Dark paint brings out the rug colors while the light paint washes out (mutes) the rug.  I am not sure which color goes best with the couch and woodwork.  I think I would base color on couch but from picture I could not say either color is "right". 

Sorry I am of little help.  I have been accused of having all my taste in my mouth  ::)
Jennifer

It's ok Jennifer. To each their own. I'm sure not everyone would agree to these colors in the first place ? just thought I would get a general opinion, cause I'm constantly questioning myself. I was first gonna paint the cabinet and trim in the bdrm dark brn and bought a headboard to match. Then it arrived today. I've changed my mind to another bedspread and backboard (which looks much better) but hubby asked what the heavy box he was bring in for me was. I replied " the first headboard I bought". He of course got a deer in the headlights look, then said " the first headboard?" LoL Just got back from returning the first headboard and curtains I originally picked out for the bedroom. Couldn't understand why I bought all this stuff just to change my mind and return it. lol ??? Here is what I'm doing in the bedroom now. First time was cream walls, dark expresso color wood paneling, and turquoise bedspread with light cream and turq window coverings. Don't know what I was thinking. These colors are much brighter and will make the room feel bigger. Don't know why I keep going back to dark color schemes. Hmmm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 32
Angelbunnie13182 said:
Hmmm.. I never thought of two shades. The chair rail is going to be a light cream color. I like that idea a lot though. Thx! ?

It would add a lot of richness to the room.  I don't think the browns would be bad...deep earthtones would look nice in the living space and with your couch.

I love the bedroom.  We're going to do a similar depth of color, but with grays/yellows.

I actually don't like design all that much, and hate painting, but I'm blessed/cursed with pretty good spatial abilities and I can visualize things a lot better than my dear wifey, so I end up figuring it out, she gives it the OK, and I get to paint it.  Since I hate painting, I prefer to only do it once!

MT4Runner said:
It would add a lot of richness to the room.  I don't think the browns would be bad...deep earthtones would look nice in the living space and with your couch.

I love the bedroom.  We're going to do a similar depth of color, but with grays/yellows.

I actually don't like design all that much, and hate painting, but I'm blessed/cursed with pretty good spatial abilities and I can visualize things a lot better than my dear wifey, so I end up figuring it out, she gives it the OK, and I get to paint it.  Since I hate painting, I prefer to only do it once!

I agree. I'm doing this once and maybe that's why I'm so concerned about what colors look good. Don't want to be unhappy with it. And thanks! I love the bedroom now too! Can't wait to get in it and start personalizing. Hubby keeps telling me to wait to make decisions til we actually get the dang thing but I'm pretty good at looking at video or pictures and planning from that. He has to actually be there in person. I guess I wound up with the talent when it comes to decorating. I don't "love" to do it but don't think I'm that horrible at it. Just change my mind a lot but hey I'm a woman! lol ?

Angelbunnie13182 said:
Hi. I need help deciding on what colors I'm going to paint the walls in the main living rm/kitchen. The couch is what comes with the rv, I ordered the rug already. But can't decide on the wall color, light or dark. Trying to go with the colors in the rug.

Christina L.

I even found matching fabric that matches the couch. I'm gonna order online once I get measurements and have the back seat cushions to the dinette covered in it and also have curtains made with the same fabric. ☺️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 13
I think curtains + couch in the same fabric would be too much. 

With solid painted walls and a solid color couch, the curtains could stand to have some texture--additional colors or patterns.

I have my interior walls pretty dark with my cabinetry almost black.  Toss in dark bamboo flooring  and it SOUNDS horribly dark but it isn't. I think your personal preference is what dictates which way to go. Dark walls may SEEM to make a place smaller but in all my years of professional painting we found dark doesn't make a space feel smaller just "warmer, calmer or cozier" and light walls are "brighter and create a feel of more energy". What feel do you want? Also, texture is key, put in as many different textures even if it is in the same color.  I have large windows so the natural light keeps it from looking like a dungeon during the day and when curtains are closed the material is shiny so the reflection from it keeps it from feeling like you're in a closet.

MT4Runner said:
I think curtains + couch in the same fabric would be too much. 

With solid painted walls and a solid color couch, the curtains could stand to have some texture--additional colors or patterns.

Hmm...never thought about that. I will keep that in mind then, maybe I will try and find some fabric that has pattern to it for the windows. Good idea!! ?

Back
Top Bottom