Taxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angelbunnie13182 said:
When doing taxes do y'all use your address that you have as your domicile?

Certainly.  Why would you use any other and risk trouble with the IRS?

If you are still military you get a choice of state of enlistment or commission or where you are currently assigned don't you?

My parents always used Daddy's great aunt's address in Pennsylvania because that's where we were from originally.  They used it for taxes, voting, etc.  There should be someone on your post to advise you on such issues.

ArdraF
Army Brat

Well, you have to use some address that you "have", since it would be pointless to use a stranger's address. But if you have multiple addresses where you are known and will accept mail in your behalf, you can use any of them for your federal tax return.  Or on a state retrun, for that matter, since you may be filing as an out-of-state resident.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Well, you have to use some address that you "have", since it would be pointless to use a stranger's address. But if you have multiple addresses where you are known and will accept mail in your behalf, you can use any of them for your federal tax return.  Or on a state retrun, for that matter, since you may be filing as an out-of-state resident.

After speaking with a friends sister who had RV'd for 13 yrs with her kids and hubby she told me, since a lot of my tax questions revolve around military rules, I should speak with the tax ppl on post which I'm planning on doing tomorrow.  ?

Good!  I don't think things like out-of-state residency applies to military.  It's a different world so seek military advice.

ArdraF

When I was in the Army and helped do taxes, service members had the choice of using their "original home" (where they were when they entered service), a place they picked as their "home" (lots used a place they liked where they had been stationed and kept using that one place), or the place they were currently stationed. I doubt much has changed. The complication is filing multiple returns for the place you work (duty station) and the place you claim as home but there are folks on base able to assist. FWIW, worst place I ever did taxes for was New York City .... ugh !

Wendy

Tax considerations for the military are definitely different, but tax return addresses are not. On the tax form, you must supply an address where the IRS can contact you if needed. The address you choose has no effect at all on federal or state taxation, but if you don't receive mail sent to that address, you could miss an important tax notice, e.g. an audit notification, and get into deep doo-doo without even being aware of it. By all means, give some reliable address on the form.

You do need a valid mailing address which may or may not be your actual residence.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Tax considerations for the military are definitely different, but tax return addresses are not. On the tax form, you must supply an address where the IRS can contact you if needed. The address you choose has no effect at all on federal or state taxation, but if you don't receive mail sent to that address, you could miss an important tax notice, e.g. an audit notification, and get into deep doo-doo without even being aware of it. By all means, give some reliable address on the form.

Well that makes sense. I will then just have to ask them about which state taxes we should file next year being my hubby signed up in Ga but we are living in Tenn. but when we get our mail forwarding service I will def use that state as my address for them to get in touch with me. Does that mean too if I have an address like that, domicile, that I would have to do state tax for that state as well or only the one I actually reside in?

Does that mean too if I have an address like that, domicile, that I would have to do state tax for that state as well or only the one I actually reside in?

Having your domicile in a state may or may not mean you pay any taxes in that state. You would have to consult the state's tax laws. In some states only money actually earned in the state is taxable there, while others may tax any income you have. And many have no state income tax at all.

Tax liability has a lot to do with residency.  You are a resident in a place to which you move with no present intention of leaving - PERIOD.  So your state of mind is the the most important fact in this matter.  How your state of mind will be determined - if push comes to shove - will be up to the court in which you find yourself at some later date.  The court will look at you past acts to determine your intent at the time you claimed residency in a particular place.  For example, if you own a farm in Missouri and drag your trailer down to Texas.  You could prevail in claiming Texas as your state of residency if you can testify that you never intended to return to Missouri except to visit AND the facts of your life since you moved to Texas are found by a court to support your story.  If you listed your farm and later sold it to an unrelated party, the courts are likely to buy you view of your residency.  If you sold your farm to your daughter and have spent seven months a year "visiting" her, you are going to have a hard time with a court.  If you end up in a court over the issue of residency, your state of mind at the time of the move is everything. There is an old court case (I'm an old guy) in which the fact that the taxpayer continued to subscribe to his hometown paper was taken as the critical evidence that the taxpayer intended to return home and had not changed his residence. If no moss grows on you because of your movements, you need to think about how your are going to establish, for the eyes of the court, your state of mind relative to this issue.  Leaving the country entirely is another special matter, without establishing official residency in a foreign country it looks like you expect to return to your home country.  That plus the U.S. will tax citizens no matter where they reside.  The U.S. is nearly unique in the world in this regard. - Said by a Newbie in trailers who lived a long time at sea -

Old Salty Sailor said:
Tax liability has a lot to do with residency.  You are a resident in a place to which you move with no present intention of leaving - PERIOD.  So your state of mind is the the most important fact in this matter.  How your state of mind will be determined - if push comes to shove - will be up to the court in which you find yourself at some later date.  The court will look at you past acts to determine your intent at the time you claimed residency in a particular place.  For example, if you own a farm in Missouri and drag your trailer down to Texas.  You could prevail in claiming Texas as your state of residency if you can testify that you never intended to return to Missouri except to visit AND the facts of your life since you moved to Texas are found by a court to support your story.  If you listed your farm and later sold it to an unrelated party, the courts are likely to buy you view of your residency.  If you sold your farm to your daughter and have spent seven months a year "visiting" her, you are going to have a hard time with a court.  If you end up in a court over the issue of residency, your state of mind at the time of the move is everything. There is an old court case (I'm an old guy) in which the fact that the taxpayer continued to subscribe to his hometown paper was taken as the critical evidence that the taxpayer intended to return home and had not changed his residence. If no moss grows on you because of your movements, you need to think about how your are going to establish, for the eyes of the court, your state of mind relative to this issue.  Leaving the country entirely is another special matter, without establishing official residency in a foreign country it looks like you expect to return to your home country.  That plus the U.S. will tax citizens no matter where they reside.  The U.S. is nearly unique in the world in this regard. - Said by a Newbie in trailers who lived a long time at sea -

Thanks for the advice! Very interesting info. ?

One of the interesting things about paying taxes when in the military is that you may have a state that you intend to eventually settle in that you haven't lived in for 20 years, that you don't own property in. Get a driver's license in that state and a bank account, register your vehicles there, pay any state taxes, and claim that as your home state.

Angelbunnie13182 said:
Thanks for the advice! Very interesting info. ?

While I agree with much of that advice, change residency to domicile and it will be more accurate.  Your residence is where you happen to be at any given time, domicile is where you intend to return to if residing elsewhere at the moment.  Domicile is determined by mailing address, voter registration, vehicle registration, driver licensing, even banking.

What Wendy just described is establishing a domicile.

Tax liability has a lot to do with residency.

I guess we will have to disagree. Residency/domicile has no effect whatsoever on federal taxes. It may have an effect on state taxes in a few states, but even that is the exception rather than the rule if all 50 states are considered. No meaningful statement can be made about state taxes until a specific state is named..

Gary is correct, any statements about taxes and domicile are only relevant to the state(s) involved, and not to the federal government.

While Federal income taxes are not affected, State income, sales, excise, property, and inheritance taxes are. I realize Angelbunnie asked about Federal income taxes but it all is affected by the address you use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom