It's official. I HATE WINDOWS 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SargeW

Site Team
I get so tired of spending so much time trying to get W8 to perform a function, find a file, or just generally be user friendly in any capacity. 

On a whim I was on Facebook and ran a search for "I hate Windows 8" forums.  No surprise that there were several of them that already exist.  Get a clue Microsoft.............

I hear rumors that Microsoft may be coming out with a W9 to get rid of 8.  I can only hope........

W8 B OK. W8.1 B better. As good as 7 and NTXP IMOP. Teething pains are past. I still live on the "desktop" with occasional visits to the "start screen" where I do like ready access to all my programs. I do not have a touch screen and probably won't for a few years. With my M705 mouse I can click quickly between any running program.
Bob

SargeW said:
I get so tired of spending so much time trying to get W8 to perform a function, find a file, or just generally be user friendly in any capacity. 

On a whim I was on Facebook and ran a search for "I hate Windows 8" forums.  No surprise that there were several of them that already exist.  Get a clue Microsoft.............

I hear rumors that Microsoft may be coming out with a W9 to get rid of 8.  I can only hope........
Do yourself a big favor Sarge... Use Ubuntu!  Seriously, while I do prefer Linux, when I setup my Daughters laptop that came with Win8, I was clueless.... what a mess.

I'm in the opposite camp - I think Win 8.1.1 is the best Windows ever, by far.  But best in function and reliability are different criteria than easiest to learn, especially if you are coming from XP rather than Win 7.

I'm with Gary.  Having used Windows 7 for many years, and XP (and earlier versions), I find Windows 8.1 is as easy or easier to use than any previous version.  Being a keyboard person, it's even easier than using a mouse or even a touch screen (which I have) than Windows 7.  I think most of the opposition to Windows 8.1 is from not knowing how to take advantage of the many improvements it brings.  My desktop looks much like my old Windows 7 desktop, but I've hidden all the (few) icons and use the taskbar for the most used programs and the keyboard shortcuts for the rest, and only see the start screen on the rare occasion I want to see what it looks like :)  My suggestion is to learn the keyboard shortcuts available and use them to save time and frustration, and I think most people will find Windows 8.1 is a pleasure to use.

Thanks Jim, I have never heard of it but it may be worth a try.  My view of W8 is that it was change, just for the sake of change. Just an attempt to give PC users the same interface that tablets and phones use.  With that a whole lot of functionality went with it.  I was one that thought W7 was ideal.  I would trash this program in a heart beat for a W7 machine.

I would trash this program in a heart beat for a W7 machine.

That's exactly what Jerry did.  Well not trash it but he tried Win8 that came with his new computer and hated it so much he returned the computer.  We had been given Win7 Ultimate as a gift and he found a computer that would use it instead.  He's much happier with it.  We both miss XP and would have preferred to keep it but we needed new computers.

Sometimes technology is not an improvement.

ArdraF

Sarge, have you tried to download and use one of the many Start Menu apps for making Win 8 look like win 7?

Just do a goggle search on start menu for win 8 and pick one.  I can't remember which one I used.

My sister was given a Win-8 laptop for her birthday (she is 78 and an XP user).  I had to install one of the start menu apps on it just to make it look like Win-7 so I could help her get started with it.

The part of win-8 that remains is not too hard to learn and tolerate. 

Just Lou said:
Sarge, have you tried to download and use one of the many Start Menu apps for making Win 8 look like win 7?
better yet, download the free 8.1 update. returns the functionality of Win7 with the right click on the windows icon in lower left. All running programs show up on the task bar, etc. including power down/hibernate, control panel...
Bob

bobsharon said:
better yet, download the free 8.1 update. returns the functionality of Win7 with the right click on the windows icon in lower left. All running programs show up on the task bar, etc. including power down/hibernate, control panel...
Bob
I wasn't aware that 8.1 was free.  Sounds like that's the way to go.  I'm still learning win-7 ;) and trying to find programs to replace some of my old XP supported stuff.  I'm getting tired of keeping an old XP system limping along, just for a few things.

Well if you hate Win-8 All I can say is "Velcome to zee club".  That said I've tamed most of its annoyances with help.

You can make it boot to the old fashion wall papered start page instead of the list of apps they want you to do

StarDock is a company that sells an app. modern mix, that lets apps run in windows.. Of course Microsoft is doing their best to make it not work but so far it mostly works well.    NOTE I have 8.1 not 8.0.

But I have to say Microsoft sure messed up with this version..  Major pain in the operating system.

Lou, 8.1 isn't free but if you have 8.1 the 8.1 Update is available through Windows Update.  I gives the start button even more capability than it had in Windows 7 using the right click menu and adds even more Windows 7 like features.  By pinning your most used programs to the task bar you never have to see the start screen at all, and no 3rd party addons are needed.  I even have some gadgets from Windows 7 running on my desktop, but that did require a 3rd party program to enable the feature.

Ned, thanks for the added Win 8.1 not  being free...only the upgrade from W8 is free.

How did you get gadgets (widgets) from 7 to work? I miss my desktop search entry widget for Google. It costs me an extra click to get to Google  :mad:

http://8gadgetpack.net/ is the one I used.  It includes most of the Windows 7 gadgets.

As for Google search, I use the search bar in Firefox since I have it open all day anyway.

BinaryBob said:
I think win 8 is great, but for those that lament the look of 7 you can download "classic shell" and get your groove back...<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />
That's the one I think I used for my sister's machine.  It helped a lot.

My big problem now is that I have one old, real old, draw program (micrographx windows draw) that won't run on 7, or higher, and I miss it terribly.

Just Lou said:
That's the one I think I used for my sister's machine.  It helped a lot.

My big problem now is that I have one old, real old, draw program (micrographx windows draw) that won't run on 7, or higher, and I miss it terribly.

My wife is still complaining about not being able to use that program (often and loudly). If you find a good replacement please let me know. I will buy it for her in a New York minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom