It's official. I HATE WINDOWS 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Lou said:
My big problem now is that I have one old, real old, draw program (micrographx windows draw) that won't run on 7, or higher, and I miss it terribly.
Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xziy17dNbE

Thanks for all the tips folks. I really am trying to make this machine acceptable, but it seems that Microsoft went out of their way to make it NOT work with any existing programs.  I will try some of these work arounds and see if I can adapt.

I'm with Gary and Ned - in that Win8.1 works fine for me. At first I just pounded around vs. going through any kind of tutorial (as most probably do) -- and became frustrated very fast. However, once I started looking up how to do things I don't have any problems with 8.1. Of course, just one mouse click puts me back in essentially Win7 desktop mode.

I don't use anything other than MS OS (other than smart phone and tablet) - mainly because I have many clients across the country using my SW - and they all have some version of Windows. When wearing my help desk hat I must be able to either explain how something works, or understand what they are trying to explain to me in terms of a problem. Some just go have a cup of coffee while I fix stuff via remote desktop - so whatever version of Windows they have I need to know enough to make my SW work OK. And it's even a faster shut down than XP.

Am getting a lot of calls from those that have been frightened from the XP scare into buying a new computer - and most have 8.1 installed. I had upgraded my laptop from 7 to 8 -- then downloaded the free update to 8.1.

BTW, and FWIW, when I just had 8 vs. 8.1 was miffed at the lose of the start button. However, most of time I just wanted to turn the computer off at the time. I then discovered that the ON/OFF button switch does the same thing as the shut down menu item vs. just killing the power. Now with 8.1 I still just hit that switch when done computing.

SargeW said:
Thanks for all the tips folks. I really am trying to make this machine acceptable, but it seems that Microsoft went out of their way to make it NOT work with any existing programs.
Sarge, have you tried launching the executable application file in Compatibility Mode? Find the. App in file manager, right click and select troubleshoot compatibility. This will work for some but not all. This may help with existing programs. You can also install a virtual version of XP for older programs...not easy job since all devices must be reinstalled and you don't get away from "no XP" support
Bobl

I have almost always programmed the power button to shutdown when pressed, but it can be set to hibernate or sleep as well.  That's been true since at least Windows 7 and probably in XP too.  But, I agree, one of the biggest complaints about the original Windows 8 was the numerous clicks to get to the shutdown or logoff menu items.  In 8.1 with the update, a right click on the start button (or press Windows-x) shows just about every useful function you'll need and no additional menus required.  I think it's the one of the most powerful features of 8.1 along with the ease of finding your programs.  Press Windows-s (for Search) and start typing the program name and Windows will find all that match what you type.  Really neat feature, in my opinion.

Many very old programs were 16 bit and any new computer will be 64 bit and those old programs just won't work, even in compatibility mode.  But if the program is 32 bit, compatibility mode may very well get it to run.

See, there's the difference Ned! You are, and Gary to an extent, a nerd. You fully understand these programs, and have no issues making them operate the way you want.  Then there is the rest of us (me).  I don't want to have to learn a whole new operating system every time Microsoft gets a bug up there butt and decides that computing must look totally different. 

To me a computer is a tool. I want it to do a specific set of functions, do them fast, without excess BS and keystrokes, and then just sit there, and wait for my next command.  Just because some engineer thought it would be great fun to dump the "start" button and plug in a whole bunch of new functions, is mildly interesting.  IT WASN'T BROKEN BEFORE.  These are the kind of forced changes that make some folks just throw up their hands, and go back to their dial phones.  END RANT. 

I agree with you Sarge. Software writers have to keep on updating their software or else they are out of a job. So most every piece of software created gets updated endlessly. 99% of the "improvements" are just attempts to make things look different so to justify the existence of software writers. I stopped updating my software about 15 years ago because just about every update was worthless.

Well I just downloaded "Classic Shell" and I love it! My start button is back, and I can go to several different areas with just ONE click. I no longer have to search through a start icon menu trying to find something that an engineer renamed. Thanks for the tip!

I agree Tom!

Congrats, Sarge.  Glad you got the pointers you needed to get that shell.  It makes a world of difference.

I also got a pressing problem solved by participating in this topic.  I learned a lot (always do) from the folks on this forum who enjoy being first to dive into the deep end of the pool.

SargeW said:
See, there's the difference Ned! You are, and Gary to an extent, a nerd. You fully understand these programs, and have no issues making them operate the way you want.  Then there is the rest of us (me).  I don't want to have to learn a whole new operating system every time Microsoft gets a bug up there butt and decides that computing must look totally different. 

To me a computer is a tool. I want it to do a specific set of functions, do them fast, without excess BS and keystrokes, and then just sit there, and wait for my next command.  Just because some engineer thought it would be great fun to dump the "start" button and plug in a whole bunch of new functions, is mildly interesting.  IT WASN'T BROKEN BEFORE.  These are the kind of forced changes that make some folks just throw up their hands, and go back to their dial phones.  END RANT.
    Actually, it was Steve Jobs at Apple that always had that bug up the butt. Fortunately so, IMO. And it has always been Bill Gates trying to catch up or lose market share. Tiles leading apps is the way folks want to go now based on current and projected sales of smart phones and tablets. Just as they liked the mouse over poking function keys.

MS's first attempt to catch up moving that concept to the computer, smart phone, and tablet was a bit messy - but it's getting better. But for sure, the computer (and most every other item from washing machines to blenders) is exponentially rising and will continue as such.

The horse and buggy wasn't broken either, BTW . . .  :)

SeilerBird said:
I agree with you Sarge. Software writers have to keep on updating their software or else they are out of a job. So most every piece of software created gets updated endlessly. 99% of the "improvements" are just attempts to make things look different so to justify the existence of software writers. I stopped updating my software about 15 years ago because just about every update was worthless.

I'm with you guys....I quit Autocad when they went to the GUI program. Tired of trying to learn all the symbols when trying to make a simple drawing and could do it faster with the keyboard and shortcuts. BTW what was so bad about wordperfect or wordstar?? Its like the symbols they have placed on the buttons and knobs of our vehicles, jut put a label on them instead of some arbitrary symbol...might as well be Chinese.....rant button off now :mad:

Bob Buchanan said:
The horse and buggy wasn't broken either, BTW . . .  :)

True, but I can still go out and pick up a new horse and buggy in lots of places. I still have the choice!

Just Lou said:
Congrats, Sarge.  Glad you got the pointers you needed to get that shell.  It makes a world of difference.

I also got a pressing problem solved by participating in this topic.  I learned a lot (always do) from the folks on this forum who enjoy being first to dive into the deep end of the pool.

Absolutely Lou. The wealth and depth of knowledge on this site is impressive. It has definitely made my life easier many times.

Look for a Linux live cd download.  Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora have them.  You can download and burn to a CD or put it on a USB drive.  That way you can try it without installing it.  Much more flexible and you can make them look anyway you want.  It also allows you to see how your hardware will work.  Then if you really want to get in elbow deep set up a dual boot.  You pick windows or linux.  I love Linux but I also like to tinker. And its FREE.

Instead of dual booting, which can be a problem with Windows 8, get VirtualBox and install as may Linux distros as you like in virtual machines.  I have 4 different Linux machines available to me plus2 Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows 98.  And several different versions of DOS (don't ask why) and OS/2 Warp 4, all in VMs.  Oh, and one just for testing bootable CDs with no OS installed.

Ned said:
Instead of dual booting, which can be a problem with Windows 8, get VirtualBox and install as may Linux distros as you like in virtual machines.  I have 4 different Linux machines available to me plus2 Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows 98.  And several different versions of DOS (don't ask why) and OS/2 Warp 4, all in VMs.  Oh, and one just for testing bootable CDs with no OS installed.
You need another hobby. ;D

What more is there to do?  Computers run the world and I run the computers :)

Ned said:

Was looking for something in a cabinet a couple of weeks ago... There sat a brand new unopened OEM package  DOS...  Yea right, I'm not a pack rat....

I still have some software on diskette, but don't have a single diskette drive.

Ned said:
I still have some software on diskette, but don't have a single diskette drive.
I've been trying to shed a lot of "stuff" around home and just last week threw out about 50 3.5" floppies, some with software, some with data and some blank.  I kept about 5 blank ones just in case, but I don't know why.  Like Ned, I don't have a floppy drive anymore. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom