It's official. I HATE WINDOWS 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob, I have an Asus 23" All-In-One desktop with touch screen and I just don't use it.  Like you, I don't want greasy fingerprints on the display :)

SeilerBird said:
i tried the beta of Windows 8 the first day it was offered. I hated it. Not because of the lack of a start button and not because of the stupid tiles or the lack of a shut down button. I knew those would all be fixed in later versions. What I didn't like is the stupid ribbon menus. The old style menus worked just fine, why did they mess with it? The ribbon menu is not an improvement, in fact every time I use Windows Paint on Win7 I have to put up with a ribbon menu and I can never find what I want. This is what forced me into using Chrome and I have not missed Windows for a minute.
Read an article on that -- seems with the beta release there was a regedit that would revert back to the standard menus of 7. However, it was removed by time 8 was officially released.

I use Windows Explorer big time with my work (vs. My Computer) - and found that the improvements in 7 were great and reason enough in itself to move from XP. I then read an article that the 7 menus were still there in 8 - just underneath the ribbon menus. And by doing the F11 full screen they are uncovered. However, I am now OK with the ribbons - partly because as mentioned I have users that ask questions that I need to know the answers to - plus may do some teaching this summer. F11 "does" hide the ribbons though in Win8 Explorer. . .

My only real complaint is the touch screen function.  I seem to need a 24" monitor or larger for my big fingers.  As it is, what I have is a 10" laptop, so it's the finger pad (which I hate) or USB mouse for me and the mouse sort of nullifies my reason for buying a 10" laptop.  Oh, well.  Nobody asked me.

Just Lou said:
I have an old USB attached floppy reader that came with one of the IBM think pads that I purchased years ago.  I'm keeping it just in case the producers of the TV shows, Cold Case or CSI should ever call and want me to recover some ancient incriminating data for them.

Love this conversation.  As to being a hoarder, I also have what Lou just mentioned and I do still use it  a few times a year.  But how many of you can still produce a box of 5.25 floppies (the real floppies for personal use systems) loaded with all kinds of useful software? The original Norton Utilities anyone?  :D
I have such a box, and with it, two internal drives to read them.  DOS still lives in my house, along with a computer tower which can run those drives and floppies.  Why?  I don't know.  I guess I am a hoarder, (at least of computer junk from the past).  If I turn around in my chair, I can see at least ten "empty" Motherboard boxes, and a couple each of Video Card Boxes and Power Supply Boxes.  Never know when I might have to send one back for warrant work.  Yeah, right.
Well, they are gone as of tomorrow since this room has to be cleared out to have a floor laid.  Recycle Bin...here I come.  8)

But how many of you can still produce a box of 5.25 floppies (the real floppies for personal use systems) loaded with all kinds of useful software? The original Norton Utilities anyone?  :D  I have such a box, and with it, two internal drives to read them.  DOS still lives in my house, along with a computer tower which can run those drives and floppies.  Why?  I don't know.  I guess I am a hoarder, (at least of computer junk from the past).

I can!  I still have a Win95 computer with floppy drives that I use for two programs I've never been able to duplicate as well.  That was back when I had WordStar 2000 which I loved.  That's the operating system for my tower computer.  It uses both the old 5.25 inch floppies and the 3.5 inch "hard floppies" along with a big (17") old CRT tube monitor.  And yes, I can use DOS too.  I'm not a hoarder because I fully expected to get rid of this computer when I found adequate replacements for these two programs.  It never happened so I still use it a couple of times a year - along with the HP LaserJet II which also still works (the LaserJet III died and we restarted the LJII) after more than 30 years!  Then there's the laptop with XP which I also loved.  It has my original genealogy software and, until I can get the upgrade mess cleaned up, it will sit alongside my new Win7 laptop.  Yep, I have to use them side-by-side until I'm happy that all the switchover changes are correct (it's been a disaster).

Someone earlier mentioned WordStar.  We used WordStar 2000 to write several books and none of the new programs are as good as WS2000 for doing the same thing.  Sigh....

ArdraF

Ardra, you just reminded me of a program that I can re-install on my newly installed VM version of Win2000.  It's called Page Maker.  I used it to compose a book of poetry (written by my sister) for her 50th wedding anniversary.

Page Maker made it so easy to format text in many ways as well as add clip art and photos.  It's great to work with.  Thank you for reminding me.

EDIT:
I know Page Maker is still available, but mine is an old 16bit version, and has been unusable for some time.

So, Lou, I guess that makes Sarge, you and me dinosaurs!  ;)

ArdraF

Ok, now I know what to do with my overloaded clothes closet...now filled wit shelves.

I have stuff that must go, sooner or later.  Maybe some of you hoarders will take my stuff, as-is, so I can keep DW at bay.

A Texas Instrument TI99/A computer with instruction manual, video modulator and HD carrying case.  Old cell phones...Marine band walkie-Talkie, lot's of floppies, old volt meters, VCR player, ancient ribbon typewriter.  Who knows what else is in the closet.

Every time I want to chuck something I get a tear in my eyes and I only have so many tears left. LoL

Other RV stuff also, Brake buddy, Tow-bar.

This is not a For Sale ad rather a gift if someone will pay S&H for the works. (could be substantial).
Call it grab-bag...a mystery bag,

That's my genuine rant.

Carson, you would be surprised what you can sell on ebay.  Jerry put some old communications stuff on and got an amazing amount for some that we didn't think anyone would even think about buying.  Get busy!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
So, Lou, I guess that makes Sarge, you and me dinosaurs!
ArdraF
LOL.. Ardra,  Some days (today is one of them) I feel like I pre-date the dinosaurs by at least a few days.

Just Lou said:
LOL.. Ardra,  Some days (today is one of them) I feel like I pre-date the dinosaurs by at least a few days.

Well, Lou, keep looking up, that meteor is coming any day now.

Ned said:
Well, Lou, keep looking up, that meteor is coming any day now.
The meteor will probably miss me, but I'll get trampled by some stampeding 'sauars. ;)

We've found some Win 8 tile apps to be useful, so run both the "Modern" tiles screen and the desktop UI with the Classic Shell add-on. My desktop is essentially Win7 with a few enhancements and is quite comfortable to use.  I don't use a touch screen for the Modern interface either - it works nicely with a mouse.

With the latest Win 8.1.1 update, a non-touch computer defaults to desktop mode, which many may find helpful. But it is only one click or one keystroke to switch back and forth anyway, even with previous levels of Win8.

.... and getting my greasy fingers on.....

YES!!! This is my pet peeve with my 10"  Samsung tablet. I use it mostly as a reader but those finger marks etc. drive me nuts!!!! I try to use a stylus and, although its use minimizes finger prints, they do get on there..... argh!!!

That said, I opted to install Windows 7 on my two computers last fall instead of Windows 8. One was a new desktop, replacing my previous machine with XP and one was a portable equipped originally with Vista but, just maybe, I jumped too quick!! I was unaware of the Classic desktop being available on 8.1 but I do have it on both the Win 7 machines!!!

I keep a microfiber cloth near the tablet and wipe the screen occasionally.

This from someone who's paranoid about those finger marks. It really drives me nuts to have any such smear on my eyeglasses and, for many years, I've carried a microfiber or optical cloth in my hip pocket. One reason I don't use sunscreen is because I'd hate having the slightest smear from that stuff on one or both lenses; Hard to remove, especially the "waterproof" variety.

Tom said:
I keep a microfiber cloth near the tablet and wipe the screen occasionally.

This from someone who's paranoid about those finger marks. It really drives me nuts to have any such smear on my eyeglasses and, for many years, I've carried a microfiber or optical cloth in my hip pocket. One reason I don't use sunscreen is because I'd hate having the slightest smear from that stuff on one or both lenses; Hard to remove, especially the "waterproof" variety.
I'm the same way, but now that I'm a "bit" older, I can't tell if it is a smear or my cataracts. :)  Doc says, "Not yet." for cataract surgery. :mad:

Alfa38User said:
YES!!! This is my pet peeve with my 10"  Samsung tablet. I use it mostly as a reader but those finger marks etc. drive me nuts!!!! I try to use a stylus and, although its use minimizes finger prints, they do get on there..... argh!!!
    I have the same tablet in the 8" model - and use the stylus at times. But better than that I have a case that includes a Bluetooth keyboard. Not as functional as a full size keyboard - but certainly cuts down on the number of times I have to touch the screen. Here's one for $8.50 on Amazon for a 10" tablet. But there are tons of these to pick from - so I would look around a bit. At only $8.50 I would question how good it is. Mine was around $27 or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Case-Keyboard-Tablet-Android/dp/B0052AG1UQ

Also, for many years I have purchased lens wipes from Sam's Club optical. I keep a handful in my camera case, in the glove box of my car, in my laptop computer case, and so forth -- in that I never leave home without them. Sam's sells a spray that I also have handy. It is nice for computer screens tho I use it at home each AM with my glasses - as it's easier to use and saves the number of wipes I use.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/zeiss-pre-moistened-lens-cleaning-wipes-200-ct/prod8380002.ip

I have the ASUS Transformer 300 (as shown here), with a 10" screen and the keyboard. The keyboard detaches instantly on those occasions when it is desirable, but mostly I leave it attached, since the tablet and keyboard fold together like many laptops do.  And the keyboard has a touch pad (rarely used), so no mouse needed, as well as having the touch screen on the tablet. On RV trips it has mostly replaced the Dell laptop for normal computer usage (web, pix, etc), but sees a lot of use at home, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom