PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THEBigLarry

A few years ago Henry Wishard and I were challenged to host a TEXAS RALLY. 
We have accepted the challenge and are announcing the 2015 Palo Duro Canyon Rally
to be held in Palo Duro Canyon State park in Canyon Texas, just south of Amarillo. 
The Rally will officially start on Sunday May 10.

You can make reservations by calling 512-389-8900 AFTER JUNE 8, 2014.  This is the Texas State
Parks Central Reservations in Austin TX.  Cost for the week should be around $226.  This will
include the camping fee of $24 per day plus the cost of a Park Pass.  It's probably cheaper to buy
the Annual Texas State Park Pass than daily passes.  This also gives you access to the other Texas
State Parks and there are many of them that are great places to visit.

PLEASE LET THE OPERATOR KNOW YOU ARE WITH RV FORUM.  They cannot assign spaces yet, but
before the rally the park operators have indicated to Henry that they will place us all in the Mesquite
Camp Area.  This area has some 50 amp, all have water and there is a dump station.  At this location
you also have reasonably good cell service. 

Maps of the Palo Duro Canyon are on line and I hope to scan and post a map here very soon. 
The format of our week together will include a variety of opportunities for hiking, golf, Jeeping, and touring
the Texas Panhandle.  We will make plans to visit the Alibates National Monument.  This is an area where
Native Americans came over 10,000 years ago to quarry flint for making weapons and tools.  We have
to tour under the watchful eye of a Park Ranger.  (No picking up souvenirs).

There are many attractions in the Texas Panhandle to visit and tour.  Among them are in Canyon Texas the High Plains Museum is a very interesting place.  It is on the campus of West Texas A&M University (my Alma Mater), The Cadillac Ranch is just west of Amarillo, The American Quarter Horse Museum is also in Amarillo on I-40.

Our "Last Supper" will be a trip to the Big Texan Steakhouse.  If you're brave enough, they offer a 72 oz.
sirloin steak dinner that is FREEif the entire dinner, including potato and salad, are eaten in one hour.  It's
a fun place to visit.

We look forward to seeing you in TEXAS!
Cowboy boots and hat optional, but we will make fun of you if you don't have them. . . . 

Chrystal and I have been seriously discussing it and we will more than likely be attending.  It may depend on Jared's graduation but until it is posted with his next years schedule we will be a very serious, more than likely.  How's that?  I will make our reservations next month.

Mike & Chrystal.

Isn't this the same week as the Moab Rally??I would love to be there if it was the week before Moab, catch it on the way there. I was there last year and loved it!!

I think I was in the Mesquite loop last time I stayed. There was very limited cell service on At&t.

Thank you Larry and Henry!

Sheila and I will be there.

ken

captsteve,
Some of us who have attended Moab for years were looking for an alternative. I think there will be plenty of interest in both rallies.

ken

Thanks to Larry, Loretta, Henry and Margaret for planning a new "to us" rally site and since Barb and I plan our trips together....we will be there!
Frank

I didn't realize that the Texas Rally and Moab Rally would be in the same week. We (Susan and I) want to do Texas, since Susan has family in Texas that she hasn't seen in decades.

We (Susan and John Beard) will more than likely change our plans to do Texas in the Spring of 2015.

I swore I'd never go back to Texas BUT Mike and Wendy are maybes. Wonder if mid-May is too early to go home through Taos and Chama ?

Don't forget the entrance discounts for Texas seniors, anyone born before 1930 (LOL), 60% disabled vets, and anyone receiving social security disability.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parkinfo/passes/

Thanks for all the hard work in planning this.  Ray and I plan on being there!

The FitzGeralds have decided to attend the Palo Duro Canyon Rally in Texas because all of our best friends will be there.

Ardra & Jerry will see you all at Palo Duro Canyon.

JerryF & ArdraF

I hope Ron Maribito puts in a Bluebonet Rally in April. . .  that would be ideal. Maybe we should start at S Padre before that and have a Texas sized Big hop, Big Skip and Big Jump with time in between to throw a loop around a part of TX like the piney woods or the Big Bend. . .  hmmm  I at the Virtual Campfire Visioning this --I'll tell Wendy bout my hallucinations.

Steve and Dee have put it in their calendar as well.  We have not been to Texas since since 1987. Just a few years  ;)  We are really looking forward to it.  We will call in June for or reservation.  Look forward to seeing all of you there.  Looks like a good turnout already.  Thanks to Larry & Henry for setting this up.

Steve & Dee

Bill and Raymonda Dane look forward to being there.  We both graduated from Texas Tech U and left the area after graduation.  Her ancestors pioneered the region and she and other family members have donated to the museum in Canyon.  We did a sports car rally that went through Polo Duro in 1960 when it was almost  just a canyon with a road through it.

Bill Dane
99 CC Allure

Wendy said:
I swore I'd never go back to Texas BUT Mike and Wendy are maybes. Wonder if mid-May is too early to go home through Taos and Chama ?

Never know for sure about the weather... especially these days but it is "mid-May" right now and perfectly beautiful in Taos.  68 deg; light breeze; mostly sunny and all the flowers are out, the trees are green and it's not crowded...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom