PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fred and Daisy are a welcome addition to our rally.  Happy you're holding together
and going to make it.  Look forward to seeing you guys again.

UPDATED LIST:  27 Coaches so far, and still counting.

Akers George & Lucy            Lucyakers
Beard - John & Susan          "Oscar Mike"
Bertram - Kim & Christi        Skyking4AR2
Brewer - Terry & Betty
Brucker - Gary & Maria
Dane - Bill & Raymonda      Llib enad
Dodd - Larry & Loretta        "The Big Larry
Down - Ray & Liza
Fitzgerald - Ardra & Jerry
Ferguson - Gary & Coleen - Taoshum
Falchini - Steve & Dee        Steve N Dee
Kuch - Ken & Sheila
Lawrence - Mike & Wendy
Marabito - Ron & Shirley
Maxwell, Bob
Moser, Dave & Nancy          "Gunny69"
Nesbitt - Don & Mary Ann
Larry and MaryAnn N.
Reiter - Ned and Lorna          Ned
Sherow - Randy & Debbie    AZRandy1
Stiskala - Jan and Lovely Olga and silly Monkey
Stock - Dean and Linda
Thomas - Fred and Daisy      fredthomas
Weimert - Frank & Barb
White - Ernie & Tara
Wishard - Henry & Margaret
Zeuch - Mike & Chrystal - ZMOTORSPORTS

We were in Palo Duro Canyon on Sunday.  I had a conversation with Ms. Shannon Blalock who is
the new Park Superintendent.  She was excited to have us all in her little corner of Texas.  She did
remind me that public consumption of alcohol is prohibited.  I told her we were discreet and she just
grinned.  I think we will get along fine.  We agreed to keep in touch via email on the coach count and
any other relative information about our rally.  Ms. Blalock has been in PDC for 11 days.

I also talked to John who is the Mesquite campground host.  He will also be there for our Rally.  He was
upset as he had just scraped the side of his 35' RV in the road construction.  The first 3 water crossings
are being bridged.  He understood from the workers with whom he visits regularly that they expect to be
done by November 2014.  The remaining water crossings are to be bridged also, but funding has not been
secured.  Ms. Blalock and I will remain in touch about that issue.

Just an update to all.  Plans are moving along.  We also saw a note about the Jack Sizemore RV Museum
in Amarillo.  Sounds like something we might want to check into. . .

Team LoLa . . .

P.S.

John indicated he has AT&T phone service and it works reasonably well in Mesquite.
He thought it was one of the only services that work in the canyon.

Larry, thanks for taking point on this, you're doing a great job.  It would be good to know if Verizon Wireless works in the campgrounds as many of the attendees have that for their only internet access.

Ned said:
Larry, thanks for taking point on this, you're doing a great job.  It would be good to know if Verizon Wireless works in the campgrounds as many of the attendees have that for their only internet access.

Thanks Ned.  We will be back in PDC before long and I will canvas some of the other campers
as to what cell service they have and how well it works.  This trip we were sort of short on time
and many of the campers were off doing other things.  If I can find out, I certainly will post on here
what I learn. 

See you in Texas, if not before. . . .

Larry, thanks.  We'll be back in TX tomorrow.  Can't be any hotter than here in KS :)

Larry, thanks for all of your legwork on the rally.  We really appreciate you being honcho and keeping us informed.

ALL : 

I received the following email from Fred & Daisy Thomas. 

"Larry,

It is with deep regret we will need to cancel our reservation to the Palo Duro Rally.  We are selling the mh and moving back east, leaving in 2 weeks.  I'm giving you a heads-up before cancelling, later today or tomorrow.  We are sorry to have to do this as it's been on our bucket list for a long time, but age has gotten to us and it's time for us to leave the scene.

Fred and Daisy"

I wanted to pass this along.  I have asked Fred to be sure and let us all know where "back east" is so we can stop
by in our various travels.

Larry

They are going back to Maine, where they originally started to be near family.  We were looking forward to seeing them at the rally.

I always get a little heart pang whenever I read of anyone "hanging up the keys". Someday we will all face that decision... :'(

Oscar Mike said:
I always get a little heart pang whenever I read of anyone "hanging up the keys". Someday we will all face that decision... :'(

Me too.  I saw my aunt/uncle go through it and it broke my heart.  We will all be faced with that someday, I just hope it is much later rather than sooner.

I didn't get an opportunity to meet Fred and Daisy but I wish them well.

Mike.

Wendy said:
Well, now we have a really good reason to travel to Maine.

My  thoughts exactly!  I told Fred and Daisy  they can run but they can't  hide, we have motorhomes!  We will miss them desperately!

We now have our May schedule straight, and reservation made for Palo Duro.
Please add Gary and Darlene Beckers to the list.
    Thanks

We are sorry to hear that Fred and Daisy are hanging up the keys.  We know the feeling as we are moving ourselves to accommodate my health issues.  We wish them the best and hope that they can spend quality time back home in Maine!

Hey, guys, it's not so bad.  :)  We hung up our keys a couple of years ago and life really does go on, just in a different manner.  The real tragedy would have been if we had not followed our heart and bought the motorhome in the first place.  Lots and lots of memories of good times with good friends for many years.  We wish our good friends, Fred and Daisy and Jim and Pat Godward, many happy times to come with their families.

Margi

Wendy said:
Well, now we have a really good reason to travel to Maine.

In my e-mail reply to Fred I asked him to be sure and let all of us know where "Back East"
truly is.  We hope to be in Maine sometime next summer and we just might bring the fun
to their location.  I have not heard back from him, but I expect he is busy with more pressing
details.

Larry

So far we have not faced up to giving up the MH but it will have to come in the not too distant future.  A big part of that decision will be how the various insurances, Medicare and others, handle the need for Oxygen when I travel as opposed to not needing it at home in the Portland area.  No Oxygen or high cost will mean no travel.  :-(

Back
Top Bottom