PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  Sorry to hear so many dropping out. We are about down to 20 rigs now. The fish for the fish fry has been caught and we are ready for a great time at Palo Duro. Larry and I are asking for each couple to supply side dishes for the Fish fry that will be held Tuesday. Suggestions are Salad, dessert, frozen fries.  We have also decided to have a grill nite.  Each couple that would like to bring their own steak , chicken hamburger to put on the grill. We will have several grill available. Looking forward to a great time with new and old friends.

Sounds like you guys really have it under control.  We are leaving Phoenix on 5/1 and we will slowly work our way to PDC, really looking forward to this.

Sheila

Chrystal and I just returned from Capitol Reef/Torrey last night and we were talking about how excited we are for the Texas rally in three weeks.  Looking forward to seeing all our old friends as well as meeting new ones.

Mike.

Ok Mike, now you are making me all the more depressed we have to miss PDC. We too were so looking forward to it. Fact is I was hoping to pick your brain a bit concerning my Jeep build. You all have a great time, and we hope to visit with everyone soon.

Gary

Becks said:
Ok Mike, now you are making me all the more depressed we have to miss PDC. We too were so looking forward to it. Fact is I was hoping to pick your brain a bit concerning my Jeep build. You all have a great time, and we hope to visit with everyone soon.

Gary

And I have some new suspension to show off. ;D  I just built all new links/control arms for my Jeep a couple of weeks ago.  I was getting tired of re-bushing my BDS suspension links as they would get sloppy in very few miles each time I replaced the bushings.  I have already re-bushed them three times and they were needing it again, so I just fabbed up some new ones links using the OEM style Clevite bushings at the axle ends and Currie's Johnny Joints at the frame ends.

Here is a link to my build thread, page 23 shows the links.
http://www.forbiddenjeeps.com/jeep-builds/2677-project-dream-jeep-23.html

Maybe we will see you down the road this summer sometime Gary.  Did you and Darlene join the FMCA 4-Wheelers?  If so, maybe we will see you in St. George in October for their rally.

Mike.

Mike,
  I best quit stealing this tread for personal visiting, but yes we did join FMCA 4-wheelers while still in Moab last fall and then went to there rally in Elephant Butte, NM where we spent the entire month of Nov wheeling. Got a winch on the Jeep now, but still have a long list of things to do. Did get some other jeeping done in AZ also this winter, including one tough run outside Pheonix where we tipped one over. Will let the checkbook build back up now until fall.

Gary

We are down to 21 coaches including Steve & Dee.  We hold out hope they will make the
trip.  If not, we understand.  Keep us updated on your status.  We are down to the wire. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone in TEXAS !! !

1. Beard - John & Susan          Oscar Mike
2. Bertram - Kim & Christi      Skyking4AR2 / Gypsy Feet
3. Brewer - Terry & Betty Betty Brewer
4. Dodd - Larry & Loretta        THE-Big Larry
5. Falchini - Steve & Dee        Steve N Dee
6. Ferguson - Gary & Coleen Taoshum
7. Fitzgerald - Ardra & Jerry JerArdra
8. Johnson, Susan and Don SaltyAdventurer
9. Kehler -  Fox & Cheryl Sr. Fox
10. Kuch - Ken & Sheila Ken & Sheila
11. Marabito - Ron & Shirley Ron from Big D
12. Nussbaumer - Larry and MaryAnn Larry N.
13. Nesbitt - Don & Mary Ann gmsboss1 / Pelican Lady
14. Phillipus -Robin and Charles roadhappy
15. Reiter - Ned and Lorna          Ned
16. Sherow - Randy & Debbie    AZRandy1
17. Stiskala - Jan and Lovely Olga Silly Monkey (JanStiskala)
18. Weimert - Frank & Barb FrankW
19. White - Ernie & Tara Ernie &Tara
20. Wishard - Henry & Margaret Henry Wishard
21. Zuech - Mike & Chrystal ZMOTORSPORTS (finally got it right)

CANCELLED: :  

Akers - George & Lucy    Lucyakers
Beckers ? Gary & Darlene Becks
Brucker - Gary & Maria garyb1st
Dane - Bill & Raymonda      llib enad
Down - Ray & Liza Liza
Lawrence - Mike & Wendy Wendy
Maxwell - Bob         Bob Maxwell
Moser - Dave & Nancy        Gunny69
Norwood Bill & Joan         Bill N
Parks, Chet & Laurie
Schwarz ? Michael and Ellen  mrschwarz
Stock - Dean and Linda Dean & Linda Stock
Thomas - Fred and Daisy      fredthomas

Such a good 21!  You guys are going to have so much fun.  I'm envious, but I do remember those days and treasure the memories.  :-*

flexitdriver said:
Do you have room for a couple of Australian travellers in a class C, who will be near the area?

Regards
Allen and Suzanne

Allen & Suzanne, absolutely as Barb said.  Please call the 800 # on the top of this thread and
make your reservation.  Please tell them you're with the RV Forum as we're trying to be sure they
know who we are and we hope to get everyone in the same campground.  We look forward to
meeting you guys.

We will now have 2 couples from Australia in our band of travelers. . .

The BIG Larry.

Larry N. said:
Many of the cactus will flower nicely, if you're there at the right time (though perhaps not every years, depending on the plant). I'm not sure exactly when that is in Palo Duro, though.
Our recent trip to Arizona had me sneezing/itching/blowing constantly...yes the desert was really IN BLOOM! Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. Literally breathtaking. What I loved the most were the many ocotillo cactus, tall spindly things with lanky stems extending 15-20-30 feet in the air, topped with birdlike orange blossoms that look as if they belong on a tropical bird-of-paradise. But Yikes! I haven't had allergy attacks like that since I was a kid in Michigan. I don't think it was the cactuses (cacti?) that were the offenders....the high deserts around Phoenix and Tucson have many (and I mean MANY!) large bushes that are anywhere from 2 feet to 15 feet tall, covered in solid masses of brilliant yellow blossoms. And, I suspect, a gazillion bits of pollen, that I think must be akin to the goldenrod of the desert...I loved them and was constantly snapping pictures of these gorgeous things. Liquid Sunshine, I nicknamed them. But I suspect they were the cause of my sneezing fits of 20 aaaah-choo's or more and my spigot of a nose. Maybe at Palo Duro the spring blooms will be a bit farther along...

THE-BigLarry said:
Allen & Suzanne, absolutely as Barb said.  Please call the 800 # on the top of this thread and
make your reservation.  Please tell them you're with the RV Forum as we're trying to be sure they
know who we are and we hope to get everyone in the same campground.  We look forward to
meeting you guys.

We will now have 2 couples from Australia in our band of travelers. . .

The BIG Larry.
We are REALLY looking forward to being with all of you. Sorry that so many ppl had to cancel, but hey, life sometimes interferes with retiree fun. Dang! We're anticipating renewing friendships from 3-4 years ago, and we'd love to consider many of you "our family" too. All of your gatherings have sounded like such fun.  Just to confirm...I am planning to bring 1 or more side dishes for the Tuesday night Fish Fry, either a salad or dessert (or both), right?  And steaks or burgers for the Grill Night, right? Should we bring a side dish to share, or a dessert for that night too, perhaps?  One more thing...when we get there, we're supposed to tell the Park folks we're with the RV Forum, so they'll put us all together, right?

See you soon, you wonderful, happy gang!

RV Parking in PDC is on a first come first served basis.  We hope to 'take over' the Mesquite
Campground.  It really depends on how many are there now.  Since we start our Rally on a
Sunday, we hope the weekender's are departing as we arrive.  There may be a few long term
people already parked there and if  that's the case we may overflow to the other campground.

In any event, we will have some fun and enjoy Texas . . . .

THE Big Larry

Larry,

I just realized I had not posted our cancellation last month, but we are not going to be able to reverse course and make the Palo Duro rally. We hope everyone enjoys the area which we thought was more fun than the Grand Canyon!

Kim

Well, after last weeks hospital stay I have to do a bunch of follow visits with the Doctors, so it is with a heavy heart that I have to cancel this trip.

Kim/Christi sorry to miss you guys again.

John, sorry not going to be able to see you as well.  Hope all is ok.

Mike.

Oscar Mike and KIM&Chrispi. . . .

Sorry you guys won't be with us.  We hope all goes well with you.

Safe travels until we see you again !

THE Big Larry

We have had a few more that have had plans/issues get in the way so our
list has changed some.  Happily we welcome the addition of "Flexitdriver" aka Allen and Suzanne.

Everyone plan on trying to park in the Mesquite Campground.  I have attached a .pdf of the park.
Mesquite is at the far end of the park.  AT&T coverage there is light, and I believe Verizon is somewhat
better, but not by much. 

1. Allen & Suzanne         Flexitdriver
2. Brewer - Terry & Betty         Betty Brewer
3. Dodd - Larry & Loretta        THE-Big Larry
4. Falchini - Steve & Dee        Steve N Dee
5. Ferguson - Gary & Coleen Taoshum
6. Fitzgerald - Ardra & Jerry JerArdra
7. Johnson, Susan and Don SaltyAdventurer
8. Kehler -  Fox & Cheryl         Sr. Fox
9. Kuch - Ken & Sheila Ken & Sheila
10. Marabito - Ron & Shirley Ron from Big D
11. Nussbaumer - Larry and MaryAnn Larry N.
12. Nesbitt - Don & Mary Ann gmsboss1 / Pelican Lady
13. Phillipus -Robin and Charles roadhappy
14. Reiter - Ned and Lorna          Ned
15. Sherow - Randy & Debbie    AZRandy1
16. Stiskala - Jan and Lovely Olga Silly Monkey (JanStiskala)
17. Weimert - Frank & Barb FrankW
18. White - Ernie & Tara         Ernie &Tara
19. Wishard - Henry & Margaret Henry Wishard
20. Zuech - Mike & Chrystal ZMOTORSPORTS (finally got it right)

CANCELLED: :  

Akers - George & Lucy    Lucyakers
Beard - John & Susan        Oscar Mike
Beckers ? Gary & Darlene Becks
Bertram - Kim & Christi    Skyking4AR2 / Gypsy Feet
Brucker - Gary & Maria garyb1st
Dane - Bill & Raymonda      Llib enad
Down - Ray & Liza Liza
Lawrence - Mike & Wendy Wendy
Maxwell - Bob         Bob Maxwell
Moser - Dave & Nancy        Gunny69
Norwood Bill & Joan         Bill N