PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don and Mary Ann -- sorry you've had to cancel. Perhaps we'll catch you somewhere else soon. And to all those others who've canceled -- I'm sorry that we'll miss you there; perhaps sometime soon.

Our best to all of you.

After many phone calls and being on hold forever, followed by a failed attempt to book on-line, we finally got through to an operator who was able to help, but at this time only from 10th to 16th May.
So we look forward to seeing you althere!

Regards
Allen and Suzanne

Drove Denver to Dalhart and Corral RV park Monday. Lots of rain and wind. Corral is a medium-sized park with paved streets and gravel pads. We had to put three blocks under each front wheel to level. The rest rooms are small, one at a time units and clean. Cable TV and WI-FI ($1 per each device after the first one), worked.

Rail road is across the fairly busy route 54.

Today, Tuesday, we drove  from Dalhart to Wichita Falls in about 5.5 hours through some strong winds and showers. We're in the Wichita Falls RV park. Nice flat drive throughs. WI-FI works a bit slowly. Haven't tried the cable TV yet.

Like last night, when it rained most of the night, we're getting more heavy showers at the moment. After spending time in the Ft. Worth area, we plan to drive back to the Amarillo area Saturday and go to Palo Duro around noon Sunday, if not earlier.

We made an inspection drive through of Palo Duro today after the daily thunderstorm passed through.
All the low water crossings have been bridged except one.  It was flooded and the road was closed.  There
is however a detour that will send you down the east side of the canyon to the turn around and you can
come back up the road just a few feet to Mesquite Campground.  All roads in the canyon are in good shape.

When you arrive at PDC, PLEASE TELL THE GATE ATTENDANT YOU ARE WITH RV FORUM.  They are going to
try to group us all in the Mesquite Campground.  It will make happy hour much better.  Park Superintendent
Shannon Blalock will greet us at our fist HH on Sunday evening.  Happy Hour will begin once we're sure that
everyone has arrived and settled in.  Probably somewhere between 4PM and 5PM will be our opening ceremony.

The rain has been coming every day, but it is expected to clear up by Sunday.  Most of the campsites in Mesquite
are high up enough that a lot of rain won't be a problem.  We're looking forward to hosting this, meeting new friends,
and seeing old friends.  It's going to be a lot of fun..

Team LoLa !

Thanks for the update Larry, but you're worrying too much, relax, everything will be fine. ;D

I guess there will be no need to wash everything if it is raining that much. :(

We are going to try try to leave after work on Friday and get as far as Moab or so and then Albuquerque on Saturday night.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Mike.

It is with sad hearts that we will have to cancel as well.  I am Canadian, my wife is American and we live in Mexico. We have been working on me immigrating to the US and wouldn't you know it, my immigration hearings are slated for the 11th of May in Ciudad Juarez.  Dang and double dang! We are in Tucson now and making our way to El Paso at the end of this week and have to wait there for about a week.

Please let me know if you have recommendations for El Paso for our 5'er.

So sorry to miss this, I was really looking forward to the rally.

We're sorry you won't make it.  Good luck with becoming an American Taxpayer, we need all the help we can get.

I don't have any recommendation on El Paso.  Good Sam or Passport America web pages are my best suggestion.

Keep your travel plans posted on the Rv Forum.  You never know where some other traveler will cross your path....

zmotorsports said:
Thanks for the update Larry, but you're worrying too much, relax, everything will be fine. ;D

I guess there will be no need to wash everything if it is raining that much. :(

We are going to try try to leave after work on Friday and get as far as Moab or so and then Albuquerque on Saturday night.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Mike.

We might be in ABQ Sat night too...  Mother's Day with sons and families.  Probably leaving around noon or so.

taoshum said:
We might be in ABQ Sat night too...  Mother's Day with sons and families.  Probably leaving around noon or so.

Great Gary.  We have never been to Albuquerque, hopefully arrive late afternoon Saturday so we can drive around a bit and sightsee.

We plan on getting on the road around 8:-ish Sunday morning to arrive @ PDC around noonish or shortly thereafter.

See you guys there.

Mike.

Here is a good web site with the weather in Palo Duro Canyon.

http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?pands=palo+duro+canyon+state+park+trail%2Ctexas

JerryF

PS,  We will arrive in Amarillo on Friday May 8th.

Well we got anxious and moved into Palo Duro today.  I think Henry & Margaret will follow soon.
We're parked and level.  We have 3 bars of AT&T service so our hot spot is working.  Rain is south
of us moving NE away from the park so at this time we remain dry. 

When you check in be sure and tell them you are RV FORUM!!!!!  They have us all grouped together
in Mesquite Campground.  The campground has some mud in it, but it is drying somewhat. . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3130-R.jpg
    IMG_3130-R.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 34
Henry & Margaret have arrived.  Frank & Barb are still in town. 

Just a heads up, when everyone arrives before coming down into the canyon
if you want to meet up for dinner SATURDAY NIGHT, post something on here
and we will have a pre Rally Dinner somewhere to be determined. . . . . .

Weather is good. . .  . .

Looks nice down there, Larry.  We're in Tucumcari and will move to Amarillo tomorrow for two nights.

ArdraF

We will be there Sunday around 2 hopefully.  My Father and Stepmother will be joining us in our trailer Wed, Thurs, and Fri so do you know yet when the Fish Fry and the Pot Luck will be so we can plan our meals.  If not, no big deal.

Robin

There's a United Supermarket and a WalMart Supercenter in Canyon TX if you forget anything.

ArdraF

Hey guys we're still here in West Point, Utah.  :p

I think we have everything loaded and the coach and Jeep are ready.  I am going to try to sneak out of work a little early tomorrow and we will hit the road.

Game plan it to arrive @ PDC sometime early-mid afternoon on Sunday as we will be traveling from Albuquerque.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Looks like a nice site Larry, are they all pretty much like that one?

Mike.

Hi all.  We got off to a late start on our New England/Canada adventure and since we'll be in Amarillo Saturday, thought we'd stop in and visit the group for a few days. 

Larry, I'm not going to reserve.  When we get in Saturday I'll just ask for something with the group.  Even if they don't have a spot I'm sure we'll find something nearby.  Looking forward to seeing the group. 

Gary

Sunday May 10 Happy Hour & Welcome at 4 PM - - -  Happy Hour Daily, Time TBD
Monday:  Jeep Run with West Texas Jeeps 8 AM 
Tuesday:  Lighthouse Trail Hike - Morning / Fish Fry & Happy Hour
Wednesday:  Road Trip to Alibates Flint Quarry - Fritch Texas.  About 70 mile drive away - Dinner on your own
Thursday :  Dinner at BIG TEXAN STEAK RANCH
Friday : No plans - Just a lazy day
Saturday : Bring your own Steak Cookout.
Sunday:  Morning Coffee & Donuts - Final Farewells - Depart

You're welcome to join in any or none of the planned events.  The goal is for everyone
to explore the Amarillo area.  None of this is etched in stone except the Jeep event as we
have made plans with the local Jeep club.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

THE Big Larry

Gary B - I think the Canyon is full this weekend.  Palo Duro RV Park just off I-27 may have space.
Frank & Barb Weimert are parked there now.  The gate people at PDC are very helpful.  If a spot is
available, they will find it.

Mike Z - Campsights vary.  Some are longer some shorter.  Most are kind of un even as they did not
grade much when the made them. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom