PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to the posters for all the stories and pictures.  It is great to be able to share the fun.  Next year!

Don and Mary Ann

Thanks Henry for sharing those photos.  Looks like  fun.  I'm sorry we did  not have our jeep this year to  join in the activities.  Some of those  guys really got some air!

Looks like I missed another great Jeep trip. Looks like everyone is having fun. Keep the news and pictures coming. We're freezing our butts off in MN.

A very happy birthday to Big Larry along with appreciation for what I know would have been a great time if we had been able to join in all the fun. I know that a celebration will be held in his honor today along with our best wishes from afar.

Thanks to Betty, et al, for posting pics and updates. Have fun, all.

Randy and Debby

O.K. Gang:    Here is the group portrait taken this evening after dinner and Larry's Birthday cake.  Forum restrictions won't let me send a large file, so if you need a large file, send me your email and I'll get it to you.

Attachments

• Forum Portrait-framed (Small).jpg
    Forum Portrait-framed (Small).jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 78
May 12 a big day...Larry D's  65th birthday and  Ned and Lorna arrived!

Most of the group hiked  just over 6 miles round trip to a rock formation called the  Lighthouse.  We were honored that Larry's 91 year old father  led our hike today.  Talk about good genes!  And it was Larry's 65th birthday.  I was lucky enough to see our birthday boy on his way to the dumpster at 8 am and opened  my window to give him a private rendition of Happy birthday.
Some of the group ventured into  Amarillo to see the Vintage RV Museum and a Vintage Car Museum.  Terry has the photos, I do not.

After a rest I got started on a read of the  free book Shirley  left out on the bench.  Good stuff!  Thank you Shirley!

Then the event of the  evening was the  fish fry.  Henry prepared all day and cooked all evening with help from his able assistants Charles, Larry and others who worked behind the scenes so I did not have to do anything!  Yum.  Then  Larry's invited  guests from among  his  huge number of friends who showed up bringing cake, homemade salsa and  memories of their work time together!  We sang again to the  birthday boy!  There are so  many recipes we NEED.

Kale salad, banana split  "salad", corn casserole, olive salad, tarter  sauce. on and on......

Attachments

• IMG_4093.JPG
    IMG_4093.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4109.JPG
    IMG_4109.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4122.JPG
    IMG_4122.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4136.JPG
    IMG_4136.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4138.JPG
    IMG_4138.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 48
Couple of other tidbits of the day.  Here is a photo of Mike's Jeep.  Following their  muddy outing yesterday Terry teased Mike unmercifully about his dirty jeep  so  Mike was a bit late to festivities today to allow him time at a car wash!  Note how shiny and clean!

When  questioned about his  Route 66 hat Jerry  was very happy to share that he bought it a long time ago because he thought it was DARLING !  Do you agree?

Attachments

• IMG_4121.JPG
    IMG_4121.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4149.JPG
    IMG_4149.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 52
Ron's slide show was  postponed to a less windy  evening.  Awards were cancelled until we had all in attendance who were not full of fish and dessert and then waddled  home.

Tomorrows ride to  a flint quarry is up to a phone call at  8 am to determine the weather.  With a 90% chance of rain forecast that trip might be in jeopardy.  As  Larry says, stay tuned!

This is a wonderful rally and thank  you to those of you who couldn't  make it but  have been reading  about it  here!  You make my day  when I know someone has read " the news."

It has been a stellar day for me.  The pain of turning 65 was tempered by an always delightful hike with Dad.
He and I have hiked Palo Duro for several years.  Those who have been to my Facebook page will find a shot
of us on the north rim from one of our previous hikes.  I can't think of anything I would rather do on any day.

Additionally a big shout out and thank you to all of the RV Forum people who have serenaded me individually
and as a group with various renditions of Happy Birthday.  I received birthday cards and gifts from so many.

And as always we ate well.  Henry caught and cleaned the catfish, and I was happy to be an Assistant Chef in Training.
The fish was wonderful as was all the 'sides' that went along with it.  And then to have lifelong friends from Amarillo
show up with wonderful salsa (A LOT OF IT) and a chocolate/vanilla birthday cake, was well. . . The frosting on the cake!!!

I can't imagine a better day or a better group of people to spend it with.  Thank you all so very much from the very
bottom of my tired heart. . . .  I love you all.

THE Big Larry

Hi Y'all
I am still standing the ground that they told me to return the tools to Jerry. But there is no way this big Texans would admit this.
I am bravely wearing the goofy Don't mess with Texas award and planing my revenge. I will pin it on somebody tomorrow.
THANKYOOOO Henry Larry and Mike for taking care of me and my Phoebe. I am so grateful.

This rally is really lot  of fun and it is so great to join my us friends from RV forum. Larry celebrated his birthday in style and had nice romantic dance with Loretta in front of his rig. Fish fry was superb. Thanks god that Henry is such a good fishing man, there was lot of guests to feed. Henry and Larry did great job to feed us all.

There was some campfire at night yesterday with bad manners. Specially one man with strange accent and loud voice made the Ladies blush. I think he was oversees visitor and you can guess who.

Thank you my friends for adopting me and Olga to your group and be so forgiving.

I want to add my voice to those thanking Henry for the fish and both he and Larry for cooking it up (not to mention all the work they did setting up this rally). The catfish was really delicious, and there were some wonderful salads and other side dishes. Thanks to all.

When I looked at the picture of the fish fry all I could hear was Terry sitting back saying "Bette hurry up getting me my supper", but Bette's reply just isn't for mixed company.  Wish we were there too, looks like lots of fun.

Ed

Ron from Big D said:
O.K. Gang:    Here is the group portrait taken this evening after dinner and Larry's Birthday cake.  Forum restrictions won't let me send a large file, so if you need a large file, send me your email and I'll get it to you.

Best group photo I've seen in a long time. Thanks, Ron.

Susan and I are so happy experiencing Palo Duro Canyon and Texas with the RV Fourm gang. Yesterday's hike and today's walk in the rain to see the flint diggings have been especially fun.

Thanks to Larry, Henry et al for organizing and running the rally.

Betty Brewer said:
Allen and Suzanne from West Perth...He has been lurking  on  our forum for a couple of years!

Susan snagged the Texas Award  (Smiley Face) (for telling a joke today that made those who heard it laugh)  Note her Texas rose!

Olga with her TX rose Ken and Ardra can be seen as well.

Love the pic of my Susan!

Early this  morning  I heard the gently pitter patter of  rain on the roof on the motorhome and thought what a wonderful morning it would l be to sleep in,  but alas  the CB crackled at 7:45  with the  announcement that our  trip to Alibates  National Monument  was ON.  We were leaving at 8:15. 
We  grabbed our rain gear and  set out in the  pouring rain.  What troopers!  We  arrived and watched a video of the Area.  What a history we received of the plains and the Indian  presence eons ago.  The  flint  quarries were our destination of this outside portion of  the trip.  We walked  just over a  one mile walk up  stairs around ridges and up to the top of a  hillside, stopping at coverings while the  volunteer docent gave us  information history and insight into  our past.  We were wet, a bit cold and still persevered.  The guide had his son and  family there visiting from Tennessee so we  got a deluxe tour!  We were given a chance to select  bits of flint  from a box at the visitor center and several of us watched and old guy flint  napping.  I think that is what Henry called it! The rain has this high plains area in spectacular bloom. Lots of  flowers and yucca blooms decorated our path today.  From this morning adventure we ventured  on to  lunch.  As Larry says, stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG_4190.JPG
    IMG_4190.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4154.JPG
    IMG_4154.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4158.JPG
    IMG_4158.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4160.JPG
    IMG_4160.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4163.JPG
    IMG_4163.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4170.JPG
    IMG_4170.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 45
Would you please refresh my memory of the time we leave tomorrow for the museum in Canyon?  Thanks!

ArdraF

We had more  newcomers to today's rally.  Robin's parents arrived to spend the remainder of the week with us.  The are also from a town in TX near Robin and Charles.

Happy Hour was a bit muddy and sticky as the rain had washed sand, silt and red clay all over the shaded pavilion  today. But we  managed to eat cake again and enjoy cheese ball made by Loretta. Left over salsa was another hit and  if you bring a container to  tomorrow  event you may get to take  home some of the hot stuff.

Henry  won the Texas Award for giving all of us Happy Faces last night with the catfish fry.
Charles earned the Care Bear for his part in being cooks assistant, server and cleaner upper at last evenings' event.  He was thrilled!
Larry pulled an unprecedented act by  giving  himself the DONT MESS WITH  TEXAS AWARD. Seems in a conversation yesterday  he was in a conversation  and used the term Rootin' around.  That comment had our Australian friends in a giggle.  Seems the term means something about engaging in sexual activity.  Go Larry and on  your birthday too! 

A final special award was given to  Allen and Suzanne for coming  the  longest distance to our rally.  Seems West Perth is farther than  Sydney!  They were given  Texas size  jelly beans and were happy  with the award. 

Attachments

• IMG_4204.JPG
    IMG_4204.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4211.JPG
    IMG_4211.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4209.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4212.JPG
    IMG_4212.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4208.JPG
    IMG_4208.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4199.JPG
    IMG_4199.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4198.JPG
    IMG_4198.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4197.JPG
    IMG_4197.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 37
All of the remaining group  attended lunch at the  World Famous Tourist  attraction The Big Texan. Note some of the rules  as they offer  a free value! 

Terry captured group shots as we filled 3 long tables for this late lunch. Sorry Ned missed this one and Gary & Maria left  us this morning.

The  second to last  photo shows a young  man who did  not come close to eating the entire 72 oz steak ( plus all the sides) in the allotted 60 minutes.  But we cheered him anyway! 

If I recall the group is going to the High Plains  Museum in Canyon  at 10 am.  Terry is getting a haircut and other errands  in town.

Attachments

• IMG_5425.JPG
    IMG_5425.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5428.JPG
    IMG_5428.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5438.JPG
    IMG_5438.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5496.JPG
    IMG_5496.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5497.JPG
    IMG_5497.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5495.JPG
    IMG_5495.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5500.JPG
    IMG_5500.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 52
AZ Randy1 said:
A very happy birthday to Big Larry along with appreciation for what I know would have been a great time if we had been able to join in all the fun. I know that a celebration will be held in his honor today along with our best wishes from afar.

Thanks to Betty, et al, for posting pics and updates. Have fun, all.

Randy and Debby

Thank you Buddy. . . .  We miss your humor around here.  We need someone to help keep Jan and the Monkey occupied.
Hope you guys are doing well.  Love the pics of Mr. Asher. . .

THE Big Larry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom