PALO DURO CANYON RALLY, MAY 10-17, 2015 - CANYON TEXAS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jan - Thanks!  We "hafta" be with all our friends, including Monkey.  I see you're not only looking for proper hats but you're starting to learn Texan too with y'all.  ;)  Good on ya, Mate!

Ned - Didn't know about the online vs. telephone difference.  Now we all know!  But how will "they" know we're all together?

ArdraF

On June 11 Larry said to make your reservations on line and that they would work directly with the park to put us all together. We made our reservation online and trust that Big Larry will take care of the rest.  After all he has 11 months to get it together!!!

Sheila

Ken & Sheila said:
On June 11 Larry said to make your reservations on line and that they would work directly with the park to put us all together. We made our reservation online and trust that Big Larry will take care of the rest.  After all he has 11 months to get it together!!!

Sheila

Well you know how I like to procrastinate.  Loretta and I have been on a road trip on the motorcycle.  We went to Austin for several days of Harleys and Hot Weather !  Once we recover I will review the reservations and will update the list of those
attending for everyone.  The people at the park have told Henry to get them the names and they will arrange to put us all
in the Mesquite camping area.  Our plan is to work directly with the local people who have some control and authority to
make those things happen. 

As a side note I have been in contact with members of West Texas Jeeps and are trying to make arrangements for a local
guide to take us on some river runs up and down the Canadian River as well as tours on the authorized Jeep roads of
Palo Duro.  I don't expect it to be as challenging as Moab may have been, but it should be fun none the less. 

Stay tuned for updates !  !!

As I have it here are the attendees for the 2015 Palo Duro Rally:
I think some have not completed their reservations, so please confirm with me
via most convenient means when you do.  If I have omitted anyone, please also
let me know.  I will make an effort to keep the list update, but no promises.  We
do like to run and play frequently.

Akers George & Lucy
Beard - John & Susan
Bertram - Kim & Christi
Brewer - Terry & Betty
Brucker - Gary & Maria
Dane - Bill & Raymonda
Dodd - Larry & Loretta  aka "Team LoLa"
Downs - Ray & Liza
Fitzgerald - Ardra & Jerry
Falchini - Steve & Dee
Kuch - Ken & Sheila
Lawrence - Mike & Wendy
Marabito - Ronb & Shirley
Nesbitt - Don & Mary Ann
Larry and MaryAnn N. 
Reiter - Ned and Lorna
Stiskala - Jan and Lovely Olga and silly Monkey
Stock - Dean and Linda
TAOSHUM - (Can I get names please.  I still don't know everyone, but I am working on it)
Weimert - Frank & Barb
White - Ernie & Tara
Wishard - Henry & Margaret
Zeuch - Mike & Chrystal

Thanks Larry for doing the leg work. Let me know if you need any administrative help, I ain't doing much this summer and fall, and well winter this year. I don't know how much help I can be, but if you need any, don't hesitate to ask.

Hey all y'all, what is now named the Palo Duro Canyon is the location of the first ever Thanksgiving service in the United States.

'The Llano Estacado was first described by Francisco V?zquez de Coronado in a letter to the king of Spain in October 20, 1541: "I reached some plains so vast, that I did not find their limit anywhere I went, although I travelled over them for more than 300 leagues . . . with no more landmarks than if we had been swallowed up by the sea . . . . there was not a stone, nor bit of rising ground, nor a tree, nor a shrub, nor anything to go by." '

More than 80% across the staked plain, llano estacado, those stakes were the only way to travel in a straight line by leapfrogging the several stakes in a straight line for the length of the column. Near deaths door, near where the town of Floydada is today, a forward scout spotted a jackrabbit and then a game trail headed northerly. Following the rabbit in hopes of finding a spring he found the game trail. It led to the southern escarpment of the canyon and then its stream and forage. Coronado was informed and immediately headed for the canyon. After making camp, he ordered one of the several padres traveling with them to celebrate a Mass of Thanksgiving for God's Providential Leading to both water, forage . . .and life.

I traveled across the canyon two or three roundtrips a year for five years via Silverton to Claude on my way from Coleman (52 miles SE of Abilene) to the Episcopal Conference Center on Cherry St in far NE Amarillo, just about 350 miles one way. Not the fastest way these days, but some of the greatest views of God's country all the way! Don't get too thirsty getting there --it's still the Great American Desert.

If there's a chance for me to be with y'all, I will. It would be a great way for me to give thanks in a place very special to me for my 21 years in this framily that's the RV Forum. I'll bring the bread, wine and liturgical vestments too.

Bob Maxwell said:
If there's a chance for me to be with y'all, I will. It would be a great way for me to give thanks in a place very special to me for my 21 years in this framily that's the RV Forum. I'll bring the bread, wine and liturgical vestments too.

Bob, I think by the time this crowd departs Palo Duro Canyon on that last Sunday, we will be in need
of atonement and divine intervention.  Bring the cup, loaf and vestments.  I am seeing a Sunday Service
before we all depart. 

THE Big Larry

Gunny69 said:
But if you do it online, can you specify that you are with the RV Forum group?

The Big Larry is going to interact with the Park Personnel to get us in the same area based on the on going list of attendees. I registered on line as did several others.

OK.  We have our reservation taken care of online.  Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

This is the list as I know have it.  I will try to add "Handles" as we go along.
Welcome Gunny 69 and Bob Maxwell to our band of misfits.  Look forward to
getting to know you all a little better.  Henry & I are working on some neat
things we hope will make our party a little better. . .  Stay tuned.

25 coaches so far. . . .

Akers George & Lucy
Beard - John & Susan          "Oscar Mike"
Bertram - Kim & Christi
Brewer - Terry & Betty
Brucker - Gary & Maria
Dane - Bill & Raymonda
Dodd - Larry & Loretta        "The Big Larry
Downs - Ray & Liza
Fitzgerald - Ardra & Jerry
Falchini - Steve & Dee
Kuch - Ken & Sheila
Lawrence - Mike & Wendy
Marabito - Ronb & Shirley
Maxwell, Bob
Moser, Dave & Nancy        "Gunny69"
Nesbitt - Don & Mary Ann
Larry and MaryAnn N. 
Reiter - Ned and Lorna
Stiskala - Jan and Lovely Olga and silly Monkey
Stock - Dean and Linda
TAOSHUM - (Can I get names please.  I still don't know everyone, but I am working on it)
Weimert - Frank & Barb
White - Ernie & Tara
Wishard - Henry & Margaret
Zeuch - Mike & Chrystal

The Mesquite camping area only has 20 sites while Sagebrush has 30.  Both have 30/50A service.

Just found this thread ...would love to make Palo Duro (was last there in 1976!) but we are signed up for a caravan along the Mississippi River over the time period.

For those of you who might now want to cancel, I'm giving notice well in advance that Debby and I have now reserved a campsite in the Mesquite loop for next May. Fair warning has now been given.

Randy Sherow

Big Larry:  Will both of the campgrounds hold large coaches?  If we end up in two campgrounds, better make sure assignments will accommodate the larger rigs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom