Tires off the ground bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

79 Corsair

Hi!

I very recently became the owner of a 1979 Corsair 23' camper trailer. I am new to the world of no-tent camping and need your advice. I am one of the managers for a music festival and because of the (sometimes) awkward lay outs of a festival have been put into a spot of which I have little control over. The issue is this; In order to be level, my door side wheels are completely off the ground. Is this ok? They are probably a good inch and a half to two inches away from the pavement to achieve true level. Thanks for any advice any of you can share!

People carry leveling boards for such situations.  You put them where your tires will be and drive up onto them.  It's better to have your tires on something rather than in air.  You don't want to torque the frame of your RV.  Also, I look at it as a safety issue.  What would happen if the levelers malfunctioned?  Could the RV roll?  Could anyone be injured.  It's always better to play it safe and avoid either mechanical issues like torque or safety-related problems.

ArdraF

I posted a similar question about 16 months ago. To paraphrase the comment of one of the forum leaders to my question --- nothing good can ever happen when your tires are not touching the ground. That said, remember that your emergency brakes only lock the rear tires so it's very important that they always contact the ground or be supported by levelers to establish a solid base that won't roll. And, if you support one tire on the drivers side, make sure you support the other as well.

In addition, the tire levelers, whether wood or some other material, needs to be long and wide enough to support the full surface area of each tire, whether it be singles or duals.

If you know that your side-to-side level will be a couple of inches off, I would think that the preferred method of leveling would be to dig out a few inches of soil where the high side tires will land.

I like to park it, look at left/right bubble, pull straight forward or back, place 2x6 where you had the wheels and pull/push trailer up on to the board. Check bubble and repeat as needed to get close to level. Use tongue jack for fore and aft level. Use stabilizer jacks for stability and fine tuning level. Use wheel chocks. If your fridge door opens toward either side fore aft level is important for proper operation. If door opens toward front or back side to side level is the important one.

Bill

I don't think trailer axles and suspensions are subject to the same stresses as a dangling front end on a coach. Plus they are under the middle of an otherwise well-supported frame.  At worst there may be some risk of the frame sagging a bit in the center, where it normally has firm support. It is both simple and effective to drive it up on wood or the lego-type plastic blocks. That provides full support and eliminates any concerns, so why not do it?

Note that trailer wheels do not have parking brakes, so the brake concern does not apply here.

I use these things. I go out on the desert in my TT and need them often. (See link)

http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00015-Lynx-Levelers-Pack/dp/B0028PJ10K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400418720&sr=8-2&keywords=Trailer+leveling+blocks

Back
Top Bottom