Diesel 50/50 Antifreeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

I am going blind and a little crazy after reading through all of the manuals first time around.
I was going to pick up some stuff after work today and needed some antifreeze ( checked and I am low ) but could
not remember if there was a specific type of antifreeze.
I have a 2001 cat 360 HP with the 3000MH Allison.

Any sugggestions.

I think I found my own answer, Gary had posted regarding Peak Fleet Charge. I have found a couple of places that sell it so I think I will be good to go.....

Alan important thing is to remember is that the 50/50 uses distilled water.

Jeff said:
Alan important thing is to remember is that the 50/50 uses distilled water.

Thanks Jeff,

I found the full stength Peak Fleet charge. Does it top off full strenth or should I dilute it with distilled water?

Depends on what you bought - the Pre-Mix or the concentrate. The 50/50 Pre-mix is ready to use.  The concentrate is diluted.  If it has 50/50 on  the label, use it as is.

Diesel motors use the same antifreeze as a gas motor.  50/50 is a good freezing point.  I work on gen set and we use 75/25 mix. For a 50 below ratting.

Diesel motors use the same antifreeze as a gas motor.

No they do not! Or at least most of them require special additives to basic ethylene glycol antifreeze. Always use an antifreeze designated for diesel engine cooling systems unless the engine manufacturer specifically states otherwise..

As Gary stated they DO NOT use regular AF. It has to be a low silicate coolant that meets ASTM 4985 or ASTM 6210. The 6210 is a fully formulated Diesel coolant that has the SCA additive. You also need to either have the coolant tested or get some test strips to determine if you need more additive.

moisheh said:
As Gary stated they DO NOT use regular AF. It has to be a low silicate coolant that meets ASTM 4985 or ASTM 6210. The 6210 is a fully formulated Diesel coolant that has the SCA additive. You also need to either have the coolant tested or get some test strips to determine if you need more additive.
I'm curious since I have a diesel (for the 1st time).  Why is there a difference in anti-freeze as compared to a gas engine?

It has to do with the different operating temperatures and pressures, which create something called "cavitation" in a diesel cooling system. This explanation may help:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=614051

The new ELC are backward compatible and are the best thing that ever happened to diesel. If you have an older motor that used Glycol based coolants that needed SCA/DCA needed PH testing on a regular bases. If your motor has a cartridge coolant filter it may used to have the additives in the filter. If you?re using ELC no need for the additives and you can get filter without them. I have enough liners to sink a battleship that have cavitations burn that are allowing coolant into the cylinder, most are from Detroit Series 60?s

MikeSW214 said:
The new ELC are backward compatible and are the best thing that ever happened to diesel. If you have an older motor that used Glycol based coolants that needed SCA/DCA needed PH testing on a regular bases. If your motor has a cartridge coolant filter it may used to have the additives in the filter. If you?re using ELC no need for the additives and you can get filter without them. I have enough liners to sink a battleship that have cavitations burn that are allowing coolant into the cylinder, most are from Detroit Series 60?s

Exactly.  Flush the system and replace the coolant with the ELC and forget about the SCA/DCA monitoring. 

Mike.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom