Servicing Costs - HUGE differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UK-RV said:
OK

So what people are saying is that, despite the literature stating exactly what should be performed under an M3 service, you (or Freightliner) may choose not to have it all done.

Does this not invalidate the engine/chassis etc warranties ?

I cant see how you can claim to have maintained the vehicle correctly if you decide not to follow the recommended schedule.

Am I missing something here?

We have now had 2x M1 and 1x M2 and are planning 1x M3 service - all since February 06 and with 24,000 miles travelled.

Would we be safe (warranty wise) to simply tell the FL service centre what has been done to date and leave it for them to decide what is required? (and get quote etc first)

Thanks
Paul

Paul:

That is pretty much what you have to do. For instance your chassis is new enough (1/04) that the Allison tranny came with Transynd fluid out of Freightliner while mine came with standard ATF. With Transynd you are required to change fluid every 4 years or 150,000 miles, not 12 months or 25,000 miles that standard ATF requires so you will save 400-500 dollars there alone. The requirement to change the air dryer desiccant cartridges is every 18 months for chassis built before 6/2003 and every 36 months for those after so you will not need them as well. I guess what this shows is that there is no standard price for a M3 inspection without going down the list to check all items.

These intervals are in your Freightliner Owner's manual.

The discount is 5 % unless somethong has changed very recently.

Leo:

You are right, 5%.

aaargh, if only it was that simple.

Our manuals state we should use one fluid yet there is a sticker on the engine compartment stating you MUST use a different one.

So, we arent sure which has been used by which service centre.

All good fun !!

Paul

Blueblood I don't know where you got your info but Allison still wants a 5000 mile filter change the only difference is only the Lube filter is changed not the main. The fluid is not drained just replace whats lost during filter change.

Paul: seems as though you should stay away from Las Vegas ,the Oasis was no good and now your having problems with Freightliner

rtaylor said:
Blueblood I don't know where you got your info but Allison still wants a 5000 mile filter change the only difference is only the Lube filter is changed not the main. The fluid is not drained just replace whats lost during filter change.

See http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadOnDemand?ApplicationID=155&DownloadID=5 

drill down to Fluid Exchnage

jimnbubba

what "problems" are we having with Freightliner ?

i think I asked whether $3,000 was typical for a 24,000 mile service as that was the price quoted by them - and others are having similar work completed elsewhere for much less.

ive not had any work done there, so wouldnt have any problems to complain of would I ?

given that you suggested in the Oasis thread that we "go back to the UK" and now "leave vegas", together with a strange quote about Royalty, Im starting to think you dont like us Brits !!? :-* :-*

Paul

Paul  Don't believe it's that way at all.  Sometimes things are read into the conversation by one party thinking of something else while reading are reading it in the wrong text from which it was intended. 
Mind you I'm not making excuses for, nor am I apologizing for such behavior.  That's up to the individual and not me. 
So from the standpoint of sanity amongst us, don't think we as a group or a nation have such feelings.
As a feel society some times we do act strangely as do others in other nations. 
Possibly it was a statement made with Tongue in cheek and with no intention of upsetting anyone.  That's just my take on it.

Paul: The problem I have is that you have had 2 post's,both were complaining about something,first that you paid $10 a night at the Oasis,then the disparity in costs for your RV ,some of us in the USA are tired of forigners complaing about our country

Minority talking Paul  Pay no heed.  Thanks for spending time and money here in this country.  Personally I've observed many good posts from you and in many ways simpathize with you because you are not familiar with some methods used here in this country.  When You hear statment of that nature, consider the source and continue with what you are doing.  This forum is for all that seek help and that's all you are doing.    Should others not like your posts Why in the hell do they read them?  Thats my take on it.  Hang in there Paul  things have got to get better.  We've all had problems at one time or another.

Shayne

Thanks for the support.

Yes, there are a number of things we don't understand both in terms of the RV and the US in general.

As such, I do tend to ask a lot - and query a lot too.

So any help I can get is much appreciated.

To think : I could have paid $3000 for a service, when Freightliner Head Office may now confirm (or not) that a less thorough service is needed for my vehicle, due to it's age rather than mileage. The benefit of the forum is people can offer their help and I certainly very much appreciate it.

My wording may be different to what Americans are used to - my humour definately is - so I would ask members to read my comments with that in mind.

Unfortunately, I also tend to call a spade a spade which can be offensive to some - to those, I would ask (as you suggest) that they simply ignore me - the wife does. ?;D

Paul

Blueblood if you read closely they are referring to the MAIN filter. They still want the LUBE filter changed at 5000 miles. I have verified this with my Allison rep. I do this for a living everyday and hear every opinion that is out there. DO NOT PUT YOUR WARRANTY IN JEOPARDY. Change the lube filter at 5000 miles.

Mick  the only fault with your statement that I can find is the fact that I didn't think of it.  Thanks for reminding me.  It's now time for me to rethink the Indian lore that I studied for years while doing  Indian Interpative Dancing.  Many Many Moons ago this occurred.  Again  Great statement'

rtaylor said:
Blueblood if you read closely they are referring to the MAIN filter. They still want the LUBE filter changed at 5000 miles. I have verified this with my Allison rep. I do this for a living everyday and hear every opinion that is out there. DO NOT PUT YOUR WARRANTY IN JEOPARDY. Change the lube filter at 5000 miles.

First, I did do my Main at 5000 (Stewart and Stevenson Detroit Allison WY) because I didn't have this information. However, if one looks at the flow charts on pages 6 and 7 before and after applicable SN's you'll see the Lube was not covered in the 5000 mile requirement either before this last change or after; only the Main in pre-changeover SN and and then niether in the post SN change. Both cases are for 100% Transynd.?

Paul, our Diplomat is 15 months old. we had the Allison filter change around 5k miles by Allison in Vancouver for C$238.99.
The Cummins 400ISL first service was at 20k, including all filters & chassis lube. The Onan was also serviced . Total cost @ Cummins Louisville = $642.12.
The Roadmaster chassis also needs a lube around every 5k miles which I usually do myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom