2009 Saturn Aura Fuse Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weewun

Am a bit confused and will appreciate your input and clarification.

Purchased a 2009 Saturn Aura to tow and use in Florida while wintering, The Silverado I currently tow is to big for the wife to use when shopping.  The Store Parking Lots are small and spaces are very tight, also the Silverado is difficult for MIL (97yrs young) to get in and out of.

My dilemma are the Towing Instructions in the Operators Manual which tell me to put it in Park, turn the Key to the Lock/Off position and then remove the Ignition Sense Fuse.

If the Key is in Lock/Off position why am I pulling the Fuse??????

Walt,

Some systems/components remain powered even when they the key is turned off. Here's one explanation, although an older Saturn, in our library article on De-fusing a Saturn for towing.

Usually the reason is to keep the battery from running down. As Tom says, many "body" systems remain operational with key off, e.g. electric door locks and theft alarms.

Are you sure it says to tow in Park? If so, pulling that fuse must also force the transmission to neutral, cause it sure ain't moving in Park! Most GM cars with 2WD say to shift to Neutral before turning the key off.

Addendum: You better read the manual again. I think you missed steps 5-7 of the Recreational Towing instructions. After placing the selector in Park and removing the fuse, you must turn the key to ACCessory and shift to Neutral.

By the way, the owner manual clearly states that the reason for removing the fuse is to "prevent the battery from draining".

Gary, you are exactly right, I quit reading when I saw what I wanted to see.  Have pulled 4WD Silverados and a 4WD Tahoe for many years  and "Put in Park and turn Ignition off" is the last step in in their Towing Instructions.

Glad it came up now rather than after Towing.

Thks again to each of you for your incisive input.

I have a 2004 Malibu and I got tired of have to lift the hood and pulling the fuse. Not always easy to do with my arthritis. I had a bypass switch installed. The switch is installed just under the dash. Shift to neutral, key to accessory, parking brake off, battery switch off and go. Makes life much easier.

Frank

Thks Frank, my Fuse Panel is close to the floorboard on the Passenger side. I am to old to get down on my knees and root around to remove the fuse.  Will do it once when I install the Single Fuse Defuser, which is on its way.

My nephew is the shop foreman for a Chevrolet dealership in Birmingham, AL. He rigged mine for me by adding a heavy duty wire loop with a inline fuse and an inline on/off switch. I have a custom make cover for the front of my car. This meant that I would have to pull the cover in order to open the hood and replace the fuse in order to start the car.  I have used this set up for 10 years and have had no problems.

Frank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom