Odometer display has many dead pixels; how do I replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hen3ry

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me if I stumble along here.

The LCD display at the bottom of the instrument panel that shows PRND21/odometer/gas mileage/etc. is virtually unreadable because about half of the pixels are dead. We had a windshield leak about a year ago and some water dripped (not a heavy stream) on the dash for a couple of weeks before we noticed it. I don't know whether water got to the circuit board or wiring, but something is wrong and I need to fix that display. I'm hoping I can replace just the display and not the entire circuit board or instrument panel.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get at the instrument panel. Do I have to remove some or all of the dashboard? If so, how? I've checked both the Itasca owner's manual and the Workhorse chassis manual; the Workhorse manual shows the instrument panel layout but nothing about how to get at the instruments themselves. I would be most appreciative of any help you may be able to give me.

Forgive my tardy reply; I was out of town for a few days, and we're storing the Suncruiser 15 miles away so I didn't get over until yesterday. Taking your suggestion that the dash might be a flip-up, I poked around on the Net and found a couple of photos of Suncruisers (but not 2005) with a flip-up dash. But try as I might I couldn't find a way to flip the dash up in ours. There was no obvious latch or other means of releasing it, and I couldn't see up far enough to see whether there were any hinges.

Are you familiar with how such a dash can be flipped up, or where I might find instructions? I know that the instrument panel itself that contains the speedo, tach, etc. is made by Actia, but I'm not sure whether the dash itself was done by Winnebago or Workhorse. The Owner's Manual I'll try to contact the Workhorse Customer Service folks, but I had great difficulty reaching them a few years ago on another matter and didn't get much help.

I would be in your debt if you could help me with this; it's driving me nuts.

Attachments

• Odometer panel.png
    Odometer panel.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 41
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2005-Workhorse-Work-Horse-Winnebago-Instrument-Cluster-Rebuild-Repair-/271180453556?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f239d56b4&vxp=mtr

The dash flips up.

Paul

The dash will flip up. You need to stand straddling the steering wheel and lift the top of the dash. This could be tight because my Brave had some Velcro holding it. Have something to hold it up once you master raising.
You will also find 2 fuse panels once you get the dash up that will need attention if you blow a fuse.
Good Luck

@depchief  I  stood straddling the steering wheel and lifted the top of the dash really hard and stopped because I feared I would tear something (perhaps a muscle in my back, perhaps a connector or underengineered plastic part). After poking around looking for any hinges or velcro or latches, I finally gave up and took off the shroud (four 1/2" sheet metal screws) exposing the dash structure (photo below). I couldn't see any hinges and it all looked pretty solid, so I removed six 1/4-20 x 1" machine screws and was able to move the assembly forward quite a bit giving some access to the instrument panel. I think I could probably move it far enough forward to get enough access to remove the instrument panel, but before I did that I figured I would double check here again to make sure I haven't missed some flip-up trick. Paul & Ann were kind enough to provide a link to an eBay page for someone in Moscow, Idaho who rebuilds these; I suspect I'm going to have to send it off to them because they don't sell just the display itself and a refurb from ACTIA is around $325. My concern now is just being able to get the unit out without damaging the rest of the dash, so I don't want to horse it out if I'm still missing something simple that lets me flip it up.

Attachments

• Dash-5.png
    Dash-5.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Dash-6.png
    Dash-6.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 58
My 2004 Sightseer has the tipup dash but sometime after 2004 Winnebago stopped using that feature. You might want to call Winnebago customer service and see if your model has it.

My Dad and I are looking forward to putting some miles on our 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 35u. We are a little disappointed w/ the dashboard display though. I did a search and there was some info in 2014 about the issue for 2000 - 2005 Itasca dashboards. Wondering if anyone has any current suggestions. It would be nice to actually see what gear the coach is in.

Thanks for your responses. Hopefully we can find a fix that won't be too expensive.

Sandra

This is a common problem with the Workhorse Actia Display, Ultra RV can replace it for you

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/105297R-Workhorse-Actia-Instrument-Full-Cluster-Repair-Service-(Upgraded-LCD-And-Gauges)

Or if your up to it you can do it yourself and save a couple of bucks, I did do it myself and it was not difficult.

Ultra RV has great customer support as well.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/105297S-Workhorse-Actia-Instrument-Cluster-*Replacement-Screen-Kit*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom