rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: How do you get rid of smelly water?  (Read 6455 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
How do you get rid of smelly water?
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »
I recently moved to Florida. I love everything about the place except for the smell of the tap water. Every time I turn it on I want to puke. I don't drink it, I only drink bottled water. But I am sick of smelling it. I am wondering if there is any filter that would remove the smell. I have searched the Internet unsuccessfully.

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
Re: How do you get rid of smelly water?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:37:07 AM »
I live in the Ozarks of SW Missouri and the water tastes AND smells great.  But, we have tornadoes and cold winters.  Pick your poison and quityerbitchin. :)
Tom & Joyce and Mary & Frances (Westie pups)
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

seareach

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »
I use a brita filter on the kitchen faucet.
2010 Itasca Sunstar

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »
I use a brita filter on the kitchen faucet.
Actually I want something for the whole house. The toilet especially. How smelly was the water before and after the Brita?

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
A whole house carbon filter may help.  Hook up at outside faucet or on hose just before it goes in the RV.
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »
Mike's aunt and uncle lived in Daytona Beach and they had the nastiest smelling water. They had THREE filters at the pump and it filtered out most (but not all) of the smell. Sounds like yours is a problem for that area and the local hardware stores probably have a solution. Or ask your neighbors if they're using anything and what.

Wendy and Mike
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »
Some areas have iron or sulfur in the water, while others are just limestone. I'm guessing you have sulfur since it stinks. A filter will take it out, but be aware that you may have to change filters often if there is a lot of sulfur salts present. I knew a guy who was filling up his expensive ultrafine filter every week in one park known for high sulfur content.

If you Google 'water + filter + sulfur you will find a lot of reading and solutions. Or "Ask Rick" at the RV Water Filter store:
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/index.htm
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
Thank you Gary for the link and the info. I am not too worried about the filters clogging up too fast because I am single and I don't use a lot of water. I flush the toilet a few times a day, fill the cats water bottle once a week and wash my hands a few times every day. I don't drink the water and I don't shower in the RV, I use the campground shower (which smells bad). I am assuming it is sulfur since that is what is smells like to me.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »
Sulphur = "rotten egg smell"

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »
Sulphur = "rotten egg smell"
Yep, that is exactly what it smells like.

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »
Here is your answer, TomS...cheap on AMAZON.

>>>   http://www.chkadels.com/product/Military-Surplus-NATO-Gas-Mask/174921.uts

Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »
Here is your answer, TomS...cheap on AMAZON.

>>>   http://www.chkadels.com/product/Military-Surplus-NATO-Gas-Mask/174921.uts
That would be perfect. I could just fill the canister with some 420 material and I would be good to go.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 05:26:03 PM »
You don't drink the water but you give it to the kitties ? Think what it smells like to them with their sensitive noses. Shame on you :(
Wendy and Mike
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 05:29:15 PM »
Think what it smells like to them with their sensitive noses.

They readily eat "spoiled" meat too.  Things we can't stomach are of no concern to their body chemistry.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »
Right on, TomS.  But who knows what 420 means?  I sure don't until I looked it up.

Quote:    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=420%20friendly
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »
You don't drink the water but you give it to the kitties ? Think what it smells like to them with their sensitive noses. Shame on you :(
The smelly water is not harmful. I have researched that. I would not give it to them if it was. They drink the water regularly. I gave them bottled water the first six month I was in Florida but it didn't seem to make any difference to them at all.

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »
I know it's not harmful but if it stinks enough that YOU won't drink it, I just wondered why you would give it to the cats.
Wendy and Mike
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
I know it's not harmful but if it stinks enough that YOU won't drink it, I just wondered why you would give it to the cats.
I don't drink it because I don't drink tap water period. Not for the last 30 some years. I have gotten sick from bad tap water so I drink bottled water at home. When I go to a restaurant here in town I have to drink the tap water since that is what they serve. I have them put some lemon slices in it to kill the taste. I don't give the cats bottled water because it doesn't seem to make any difference to them and it is expensive to do so.

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »
The cat's water is exposed to the air and the sulfur smell sublimates therefore it doesn't bother them. Try leaving a glass of water out for a while and see for yourself. However, the guy Gary mentioned at the RV Filter store can help you with thre correct filter for the job.
Bruce A.
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Before our last trip to Mexico (years ago) we installed a kitchen sink water filter and drank that while in Mexico.  Neither of us had any water-related problems, but almost everyone else in our caravan did because they didn't have a filtering system.  You'd spend less on one of them than you do on bottled water.  That said, in certain parts of the U.S. the water is pretty awful so we always have some bottled water onboard and use the filtered water for cooking, brushing teeth, and drinking if it tastes good.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 10:46:35 PM »
Tom

We use two whole-house filters outside the m/h one with a particle filter and one with charcoal. When we spent a month each year with my folks in FL I replaced the paper filter with a second charcoal. It seemed to help some.

catblaster

• ---
  • born 1949, rebuilt 2012 with used parts
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 06:41:24 AM »
I don't drink it because I don't drink tap water period. Not for the last 30 some years. I have gotten sick from bad tap water so I drink bottled water at home. When I go to a restaurant here in town I have to drink the tap water since that is what they serve. I have them put some lemon slices in it to kill the taste. I don't give the cats bottled water because it doesn't seem to make any difference to them and it is expensive to do so.

Tom...This is why they lick their butts...to get the taste of the water out of their mouth.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
Tom...This is why they lick their butts...to get the taste of the water out of their mouth.
Cat - That is way too funny.

I took everyone's advise into account, read a bunch on the link Gary provided and ended up ordering a whole house filter that was about my cheapest option. According to what I read it will not be enough to solve my problem but I want to see how it works. I am going to be buying a residence here in Florida later on in the year and then I will invest in a more expensive unit if this one is not good enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E78XH6/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1