San Francisco Bay cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You sailboaters just have no respect for stinkpotters  :(

The way so many of them drive, I would turn that around.  Present company excepted, of course :)

Yesterday was a leisurely cruise up and across the bay to Alameda on the Oakland inner harbor (aka the Oakland estuary). Everyone docked safely at the Encinal YC. The estuary is home to the large Oakland container terminal and numerous yacht clubs, restaurants and yacht dealers/brokers in addition to USCG Station Alameda.

Last evening we cruised across the bay to the city for a dinner show. The local Sea Ray dealer provided a couple of boats and designated captains for the trip, along with a shuttle at the other end. The cruise back across the bay (between 11.30pm and midnight) was quite spectacular - I'd forgotten what it was like seeing the Bay Bridge lit up and the city lights from the water.

This morning two members' boats will shuttle us to Coast Guard Island on the opposite side of the estuary. We get to tour a 378 foot CG cutter and have lunch with some USCG officers, aranged by one one of our club members who is a retired USCG Commander.

Tom

My favorite shot was "Lined up for Petaluma channel.jpg"

? It reminded me of the old Victory at Sea series. Except your boats are white instead of gray.<G> I could almost hear the klaxon horns wailing.

Robert,

I think you would have enjoyed it.

The ship was USCGC Morgenthau (WHEC 722). In port for 3 months of repairs and preparing for the next tour of duty.

LOA = 378'3", beam = 42', draft = 24'. 7,200hp from a pair of diesels and 36,000 hp from a pair of gas turbines. Fuel capacity = 203,000 gallons in addition to 29,000 gallons of aviation fuel for the helicopter. Crew = 179. (The foregoing is from published information).

We weren't able to get in the engine room because of work going on down there (or that was the official story).

You might recognize some faces from the attached photos.

• Wating dockside.
  • Boarding.
  • Bridge.
  • BBQ on the fantail.
  • View down the estuary from the ship (you can just about see us at Encinal).

Attachments

• USCGC Morgenthau.jpg
    USCGC Morgenthau.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Boarding.jpg
    Boarding.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 46
  • Bridge tour.jpg
    Bridge tour.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 49
  • USCG BBQ.jpg
    USCG BBQ.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Estuary from ESCGC.jpg
    Estuary from ESCGC.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 49
Hi Terry. I'll see what I can do about boat colors next trip  ;D

This morning we left the Oakland estuary and headed to the north bay, under the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge and up San Rafael Creek. The fleet is safely berthed at the San Rafael Yacht Club. Coming in here was like being in Venice, except the folks steering the boats weren't singing.

This week is Fleet Week in SF Bay. Tomorrow and Sunday the Blue Angels perform their annual wonder show across the SF waterfront. Security is stepped up, with numerous USCG vessels on patrol and we've had a couple of helo's overhead for the last couple of days.

• Bay Bridge old and new - Chet might be surprised.
  • USCG patrols.
  • Container ship at Oakland container terminal.
  • San Rafael Creek.
  • Docked at San Rafael YC.
  • In the mud at San Rafael YC.
  • Other half of the fleet at SRYC.

Attachments

• Bay bridge old_new.jpg
    Bay bridge old_new.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 60
  • USCG patrols.jpg
    USCG patrols.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Container ship.jpg
    Container ship.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 33
  • San Rafael Creek.jpg
    San Rafael Creek.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Docked San Rafael.jpg
    Docked San Rafael.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 43
  • In the mud.jpg
    In the mud.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Docked San Rafael_2.jpg
    Docked San Rafael_2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 32
Robert,

It's Rob Lacomble (sp?) aka Ruthie's Rob. He's usually crew on Trow's Nest for this cruise. Ruth comes by car to one or two locations.

Al,

Scheduled departure from the bay is Sunday, but we're still negotiating the possibility of staying longer.

This afternoon we had our own unexpected 'private' fly-by of the Blue Angels. I was too slow with the camera!

Last evening was a 'western night' hosted by the San Rafael Yacht Club. Some great eating and entertaining.

Today we left San Rafael near high tide and made our way back up river. We arrived home safely after a fuel stop at the Pitsburg marina. It was just a beautiful day for cruising and the water was dead flat.

• Carquinez Bridge - old span in foreground and new span in background.
  • Reserve Fleet (aka mothball fleet) in Susuin Bay.
  • Benicia marina entrance.
  • Benicia Bridge.
  • Chris and Lisa keep an eye on fuelling.
  • Antioch Bridge.

Attachments

• Carquinez bridge.jpg
    Carquinez bridge.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Mothball fleet.jpg
    Mothball fleet.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Benicia.jpg
    Benicia.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Benicia bridge.jpg
    Benicia bridge.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Chris_Lisa_fuel.jpg
    Chris_Lisa_fuel.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Antioch bridge.jpg
    Antioch bridge.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 37
You have way too much time on your hands, Tom.

Someday.... ;D

dsharp said:
You have way too much time on your hands

LOL, it often feels like I don't have enough time. I had hoped to spend an additional 2 or more weeks on the Bay this trip, but the Captain said she wanted to get home. Looking forward to our next extended RV trip, but have one or two cruises before that will happen.

Today is desalination day, i.e. time to get all the salt off the old tub. We're about 75% done and I needed a break from the sun.

Tom,

The pictures you have attached to this thread have been positively spectacular.  When you get back, any chance you might upload them all in one place to make a photo album of your entire trip?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom