Tire Pressure Monitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned said:
How long after removal will the sensor stop sending the alarm message?  When I take one off to air up a tire, it sends the alarm for at least several minutes until I reinstall it.

Ned

Sorry, don't know the answer to that one.  For me it just keep beeping until I replace the sensor or unplug the monitor ;)

Unplugging the monitor won't stop the sensor from sending the low pressure alarm, of course, and if it doesn't shut off, it will run the battery down quicker than leaving it installed.

Ned said:
Unplugging the monitor won't stop the sensor from sending the low pressure alarm, of course, and if it doesn't shut off, it will run the battery down quicker than leaving it installed.

OK Ned, you shamed me into calling my PP tech guru and finding out for sure ;D

You have to be an informed dealer :)  Looking forward to what he says.

Ned said:
You have to be an informed dealer :)  Looking forward to what he says.

Ned

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I had the answer last Tuesday and just forgot to send the reply when we got to our campground that evening. When you take the sensor off the tire, it will send a 00 pressure reading for 5 minutes then shut off.

Bernie,

Thanks, I figured it had to shut off eventually.  I've never had one off for 5 minutes without deleting it first.

The sensors new are $50, the replacement cost for rundown batteries is much less.  I think the charge is about $15, but Bernie should have more accurate information.

Ned said:
The sensors new are $50, the replacement cost for rundown batteries is much less.  I think the charge is about $15, but Bernie should have more accurate information.

Gee Ned, you're doing to me again :D  The last time I talked to the factory, admittedly a while ago on this issue, they were anticipating about $20 exhange. My sensors are 3 1/2 years old and running fine. I haven't heard of any, and none of my customers have had any sensor batteries die yet.

Just keeping you on your toes, Bernie :)  My sensors are about 2 years old and show no signs of battery weakening.

Just a little information on pressure sensors.

I was at the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep etc. dealer this week for the first oil change since putting on the pressure sensors.  Discussing them with the service manager he told me the OEM ones installed are a major pain you know where.  It seems they are mounted on the valve stem inside the tire.  When a tire is broken down to repair or replace probably 80% of the time they are broken off the valve stem.  Cost $50 to replace.  Also the cost occurs whenever the valve stem has to be replace.

Great idea, poor implementation!!

The only problem with Pressure Pros is playing musical tires when they rotate or do othe tire work and mix them up.

I really like these wonders, as I tell people, when I do the math (Cost of Pressure Pro system)-(Cost of new tires that I did not buy due to PP alerting me of a leak BEFORE the tire was totaled) the figures come out on the "negative cost" side of zero dollars.

And my system is only a year old!

You could always paint the location on the sensor.  I haven't done this but when I sent in several units for warranty replacement I got back some used ones that someone had painted the location on.  I assume that the units have been repaired and with new batteries, but I haven't tried them yet.

I marked my toad sensors with a magic marker. After the shop is done balancing and rotating I just put em back where they belong.

Did the same thing :), Actually, it is not that hard to do it without marking them

Do this 1st thing in the morning, a cold morning is suggested:

Useing a 12 volt battery pack (IE: Jump start battery) plug in your mointor, and set it beside the vehicle,

Remove one sensor, note which tire shows as suddenly FLAT on the alarm panel.

Now move to it's position (Take battery and monitor with you)

Remove that sensor, and screw on the one that goes there, Note which tire is still flat, and move to it's position and repete, Do this one more time and screw the remaining sensor on the 1st tire.

But it's easier if you put RF RR LF and LR on the sensors with some kind of marker or paint pen

IMHO, the easiest way to handle off tire sensors is with an egg carton. Even better is the egg carrying case sold by Wal*Mart for about $2 in the camping section. Just mark front to rear, and inner/outer duals and you have a nice carrying case and know exactly on to which tire each sensor goes. Handles toad and/or coach or truck and/or trailer-5th wheel.

Super Idea Bernie.  LOL and I don't have the sensors,  just like the idea.

If I set them up, remove and put them in your egg crate till I get ready to go to Fla. in Feb, do they need set again or do they remember the pressure etc. when reinstalled. I intend to increase the pressure for storage till I get ready to leave.

Back
Top Bottom