Drone insurance and liability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I'm curious if drone owners/operators have (or perceive the need for) insurance, both for their drone and, more importantly, for liability. Potential liability could include landing on/damage to RVs, and "invasion of privacy" for drones taking potentially compromising photos.

Hmmm, never thought of that one....

Aren't drones basically the same thing as RC aircraft that have been around forever? Same rules should apply, common sense!

On the other hand, can they be insured against hostile fire???? I will tell the cop that it looked just like a Pheasant!!!!

Aren't drones basically the same thing as RC aircraft that have been around forever? Same rules should apply, common sense!

Good point Steve, except that a much higher percentage of drones seem to have cameras aboard.

On the other hand, can they be insured against hostile fire?

We talked about that possibility this weekend. A local cruising boat club is debating the purchase of a drone to take aerial photos of club raft-ups/cruises. I've raised the liability issue, which really wasn't considered by the pro-drone folks. I know several folks with on-board firearms who, if they believed a drone is taking photos of their boat and/or folks aboard, would likely shoot down the drone.

I can see these things causing lots of trouble in the future. Invasion of privacy is going to cause many lawsuits. Then as has been already mentioned people will be damaging other peoples drones, more lawsuits.   

For private use unless drones are specifically excluded I would assume the damage liability exposure would be covered by homeowners liability but the privacy issue will probably always be uncovered exposure unless its possible to buy a policy that addresses it specifically.

AMA insurance should cover liability. It's been so long since I flew that I had too look it up. $58 a year.

Another issue would be criminal liability. The border of you property theoretically goes up to infinity, so if a drone is "on your property," it is trespassing, and the pilot could be arrested, depending on local laws and evidence.

Being from Texas, I'd say that drones would be much cheaper than skeet, at least for me, since I won't pay for the (ex)drone, and I have to pay for the clay pigeons. Too bad, I'm inside city limits again. In the counties, you can pretty much shoot anywhere, anytime, as long as you have permission to be there, aren't breaking game laws, and aren't threatening anyone or their property. Trespassers are like coyotes; always in season.

Tom said:
Good point Steve, except that a much higher percentage of drones seem to have cameras aboard.

True, there is a higher percentage with cameras but cameras on RC aircrat is hardly a new concept. I personally feel that most of the issue arises from the name "Drone"and a lot of people confusing them ( due to the name) with military drones.

That being said, If I am dry camping in the middle of nowhere, I will yell "Pull" just before the bang is heard.

If we call them UAVs, all the paranoia will go away  ;D

Hmmmm

With a major airport to the north and a AF base to the south, I get lots of aircraft trespassing. I bet those fellers are trying to peek at me in my skivvies dang nab it. ;)

It has been pretty well established by the courts that your exclusive property rights do NOT extend upward to infinity. You can't prohibit airplanes from flying over, or charge fees or block radio waves passing above you, and the height of structures on your land can be restricted or regulated.  It's a complex issue that is bound to get more scrutiny as different prerogatives come into conflict.

I suspect that no insurer has a policy (yet) explicitly for drone/UAV operation but until specific exclusions get written in, most general liability coverage would include non-commercial use by individuals or organizations.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I suspect that no insurer has a policy (yet) explicitly for drone/UAV operation but until specific exclusions get written in, most general liability coverage would include non-commercial use by individuals or organizations.

A hot topic in the risk management/insurance field.
For years the standard language for the "aircraft" exclusion has been defined as carrying people. As long as you weren't carrying people the exclusion didn't apply. Traditionally, this allowed leeway for the hobbyist. (However some policies will exclude "hovercraft.")
To date, there has been no development of standard policy language for drones. The insurance industry is reactionary. You can bet an exclusion will be coming forth soon.
My guess is the exclusionary language will not be addressed regarding commercial / non-commercial use; rather what the drone is doing.
The exclusion will likely apply to "the collection of data" (e.g. cameras/video) as well as any "conveyance" - carrying packages (as in Amazon),  and carrying nasty things (as in terrorists). 

It appears the drones are coming under FAA rules as far as airspace and altitude. Taking photos and invasion of privacy will probably fall under existing laws already established. Causing damage as far as crashes falls back to the liability of the operator as you can be held liable in an auto accident.

The FAA is in the process of establishing flight rules and holding hearings now.

I am an expert UAV operator. I produced one folded paper airplane when I was 10 years old; it crashed due to unbalance.

It hit my dog and he yelped. Where will all this stop ?  :D

carson said:
I am an expert UAV operator. I produced one folded paper airplane when I was 10 years old; it crashed due to unbalance.

It hit my dog and he yelped. Where will all this stop ?  :D

Carson, I'm afraid we've only seen the beginning... :)
If it were a person rather than your dog, they would sue the paper company, the children's book publisher where you learned how to fold the paper airplane, your parents for allowing you to make the paper airplane, your inspirational 4th grade teacher who encouraged you to such creativity, and the paper clip company who was negligent in not pointing out that a paper clip could eliminate that paper airplane instability..........

Thanks Bob, I can't stop giggling...I am 79 now..  How true it is now-a-days.

Not many lawyers around in 1945.

Local cruising boat club concerned about compromising photos.

Is the problem with the drones or the exhibitionists on the boats?!

Back
Top Bottom