rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: No Keys - What are my options  (Read 12713 times)

Tobit

• ---
No Keys - What are my options
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
So I don't have any of the keys for any of the locks on my newly acquired 1995 Fleetwood Wilderness travel trailer?  What would my options be?  My most urgent need is for the entry door.  Would Fleetwood be able to replace the keys or would they still have replacement door parts?  Thanks.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
Re: No Keys - What are my options
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »
Any good mobile locksmith should be able to hand fit the needed keys at a nominal cost. If the door is unlocked, remove the assembly, take it to a stationary locksmith, and save a few bucks.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
The keys are almost universal - there are only a few different key codes for most RVs of that era. Look for a number on the lock. CH751 is one common key; 9901/MMK is another. You can order them online or buy on Ebay, but most likely an RV shop will just hand you one of a dozen they have lying around.

Most RV dealers, RV techs, and even campground offices have a set of the most common keys. Most any of them could help you out, but it's easiest if you know the key numbers.

More unique locks are available now if you are worried about this, but most people don't really have valuables in their RV anyway.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tobit

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 07:24:47 PM »
More unique locks are available now if you are worried about this, but most people don't really have valuables in their RV anyway.
Ok, great.  I just live in the city and don't want to make it easy for any transients to sleep in my RV at night.  Any type of lock is better than no lock for this.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »
If you have a deadbolt lock, that will be uniquely keyed.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tobit

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:32:51 PM »
Oh definitely not, it looks like a very simple lock and latch assembly.  I'll try to get a number off it tomorrow.  There's a couple locked hatches I hope I can get the key for as well.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 05:23:36 AM »
I would park it at a good locksmith for a day,   But here are your options.

if you can identify the lock maker, Often there are numbers visible on teh OUTSIDE of the lock that indicate the key code  You can simply order new keys on line or from a dealer..  Downside, they charge 20 bucks for a 2.00 key.

Or you can go to a locksmith.. He may be able to code cut the keys (Often a bit cheaper) or he can "Decode" the lock by a method they call rubbing.. (I seriously have no idea how this is done)   About the same 20/key I think, but a good locksmith won't need long to do it..  Fred's in Detroit, MI is such a lock smith.   But any good one can do it.

(Fred's has more key blanks than any other 3 locksmiths in the Detroit area).
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:56:55 AM »
Oh definitely not, it looks like a very simple lock and latch assembly.  I'll try to get a number off it tomorrow.  There's a couple locked hatches I hope I can get the key for as well.

This is the lock Ned was referring to  - it's the most common lock for Travel Trailers. The lock on the "handle" is like locking your doorknob at home while the 2nd lock is the deadbolt. The handle is common but the deadbolt is unique.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:37:44 AM »
Because the one lock is a common key, we always use the deadbolt when locking the door.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tobit

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
Yes, it has a deadbolt.  I stand corrected, I'm sorry and thanks.  I just took some photos, I believe it is a TriMark 060-0250:

http://www.rvshop.com/print_catalogs/trimark/060-0250_tech_pub.pdf

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
Pre-cut Trimark CH751 and 500 keys can be found on Ebay. Probably others too.

60-250 is the lock model - the key cylinder has a separate number. Given that this is an older rig, odds are strong that the main latch is a CH751 but the deadbolt will be different. Might be a 500, though. The 751 and 500 combination is still quite common.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:53:32 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 05:06:49 PM »
So long as the locks are Original a good locksmith can do wonders. So can Fleetwood

Even if the locks have been changed SOME locksmiths can still do wonders but you need a real good oe for that.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

lavarock1210

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 09:10:55 AM »
I replaced my door lock with an RV lock.

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/?utm_source=mv&utm_medium=paid&utm_campaign=intent&gclid=CKqvycHi2-kCFYRLfgodEqEH8A&gclsrc=ds

With the rv lock I no  longer have to carry a key nor does anyone in the family.  That way we lock the trailer every time we leave the trailer and do not have to worry about a family member being locked out.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:14:00 AM by lavarock1210 »