No Keys - What are my options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobit

So I don't have any of the keys for any of the locks on my newly acquired 1995 Fleetwood Wilderness travel trailer?  What would my options be?  My most urgent need is for the entry door.  Would Fleetwood be able to replace the keys or would they still have replacement door parts?  Thanks.

Any good mobile locksmith should be able to hand fit the needed keys at a nominal cost. If the door is unlocked, remove the assembly, take it to a stationary locksmith, and save a few bucks.

The keys are almost universal - there are only a few different key codes for most RVs of that era. Look for a number on the lock. CH751 is one common key; 9901/MMK is another. You can order them online or buy on Ebay, but most likely an RV shop will just hand you one of a dozen they have lying around.

Most RV dealers, RV techs, and even campground offices have a set of the most common keys. Most any of them could help you out, but it's easiest if you know the key numbers.

More unique locks are available now if you are worried about this, but most people don't really have valuables in their RV anyway.

Gary RV Roamer said:
More unique locks are available now if you are worried about this, but most people don't really have valuables in their RV anyway.
Ok, great.  I just live in the city and don't want to make it easy for any transients to sleep in my RV at night.  Any type of lock is better than no lock for this.

If you have a deadbolt lock, that will be uniquely keyed.

Ned said:
Oh definitely not, it looks like a very simple lock and latch assembly.  I'll try to get a number off it tomorrow.  There's a couple locked hatches I hope I can get the key for as well.

I would park it at a good locksmith for a day,  But here are your options.

if you can identify the lock maker, Often there are numbers visible on teh OUTSIDE of the lock that indicate the key code  You can simply order new keys on line or from a dealer..  Downside, they charge 20 bucks for a 2.00 key.

Or you can go to a locksmith.. He may be able to code cut the keys (Often a bit cheaper) or he can "Decode" the lock by a method they call rubbing.. (I seriously have no idea how this is done)  About the same 20/key I think, but a good locksmith won't need long to do it..  Fred's in Detroit, MI is such a lock smith.  But any good one can do it.

(Fred's has more key blanks than any other 3 locksmiths in the Detroit area).

Ned said:
Tobit said:
Oh definitely not, it looks like a very simple lock and latch assembly.  I'll try to get a number off it tomorrow.  There's a couple locked hatches I hope I can get the key for as well.

This is the lock Ned was referring to  - it's the most common lock for Travel Trailers. The lock on the "handle" is like locking your doorknob at home while the 2nd lock is the deadbolt. The handle is common but the deadbolt is unique.

Attachments

• RVlock.jpg
    RVlock.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 34
Because the one lock is a common key, we always use the deadbolt when locking the door.

Yes, it has a deadbolt.  I stand corrected, I'm sorry and thanks.  I just took some photos, I believe it is a TriMark 060-0250:

http://www.rvshop.com/print_catalogs/trimark/060-0250_tech_pub.pdf

Attachments

• lock1.jpg
    lock1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 30
  • lock2.jpg
    lock2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 29
Pre-cut Trimark CH751 and 500 keys can be found on Ebay. Probably others too.

60-250 is the lock model - the key cylinder has a separate number. Given that this is an older rig, odds are strong that the main latch is a CH751 but the deadbolt will be different. Might be a 500, though. The 751 and 500 combination is still quite common.

So long as the locks are Original a good locksmith can do wonders. So can Fleetwood

Even if the locks have been changed SOME locksmiths can still do wonders but you need a real good oe for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom