Total rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tc tom

Hello All,

I have started a total rebuild of a 18 ft. TT.  Friends keep telling to post the project. I will to see if it is of any interest to others. I have a few pictures, before, during demolition and present  condition. The camper was a 2007 Dutchman ECO. We rescued it, so to speak, as it was destined for salvage.

Happy camping, Tom

Attachments

• Outside windows out 1.jpg
    Outside windows out 1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 568
  • Framing wall right 1.jpg
    Framing wall right 1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 619
  • Trailer frame 2.jpg
    Trailer frame 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 572
Why was is going to salvage. It was only 7 tears old. What a project you have ahead of you. Will it be ready for July 4th holiday?

Hi Rene,

4th of July 2015 you mean. No we will be taking the truck for it's final trip with us at the end of this July.
This trailer was built with structural foam panels with an aluminum cage.The only aluminum is the out line of the walls, floor and roof. the only wall studs are one on each side of the door. Once the wood covering the foam and backing the fiber glass rots, the there is no more structural integrity. This trailer was probably leaking from day one as about 60 % of the floor was no longer structural. both side  walls were sagging past the top of the steel trailer frame. Sometimes no amount of maintenance can over come poor construction.  The reason WHY is my wife is allergic to almost every thing travel trailers are made of and I'm allergic to the way there constructed. Don't get us wrong, were excited about the project and having fun with it. I even got to buy a mig welder for aluminum!

Thanks for your interest and happy camping, Tom and Jade

I bought the Hobart 190 Handler with the 100 spool gun. The consensus was I would not be able to weld the .040 aluminum framing that came with the trailer or even .063 with a mig welder. I had  a metal railing contractor I know tell me" with enough practice I could weld a beer can with mig". I haven't tried the beer can yet but I can diffidently weld the .040 and .063 aluminum. Some of the welds are even looking pro. I still blow a hole now and then but have leaned how to fix it. Yes it takes some practice but I'm only on my 5th 1 lb. spool. The welder works great! Welding 1/8 inch the leaning curve is not as step. Amazon had the best price.

Happy welding, Tom

Good choice Tom, glad you didn't get the Horrible freight or century machines. Let me know how that top spool works out for you. I'm considering a rear spool only because of the space required.

Now you can work on getting a TIG and a plasma. You can never have too many toys.

Hi Will,

The spool gun has been working really well. I guess with with aluminum there can be problems pushing the wire because it's soft.  I think the more expensive machines do a better job pushing the wire. I have been using 4043 wire but I think 5356 is a little stiffer and easier to push.

Let me know what you end up with.

Tom

tc tom said:
Hello All,

I have started a total rebuild of a 18 ft. TT.  Friends keep telling to post the project. I will to see if it is of any interest to others. I have a few pictures, before, during demolition and present  condition. The camper was a 2007 Dutchman ECO. We rescued it, so to speak, as it was destined for salvage.

Happy camping, Tom
Hello,

Just finished the new floor and am getting ready to attach it to trailer frame.

Attachments

• Floor finish 5.jpg
    Floor finish 5.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 446
  • Floor insullating 5.jpg
    Floor insullating 5.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 413
  • Floor insullating and water proofing 1.jpg
    Floor insullating and water proofing 1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 435
tc tom said:
Hello All,

Happy camping, Tom

The project continues.

Attachments

• Framing new left side.jpg
    Framing new left side.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 433
  • Framing new front.jpg
    Framing new front.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 410
One of the more interesting parts to me will be how you do the roof, because you mentioned you thought the trailer was probably leaking from day one....In other words, will you put in a similar roof or try to upgrade the roof?

I'm also wondering if you put together a floor plan, and whether or not you will go with lighter or heavier materials with any specific unloaded weight goal.

Have you looked at the way the Pleasure-Way Plateau XL and the Leisure Van Unity are using Murphy Beds? The Pleasure-Way is, from my point of view, a great creative option for an efficient bed setup without using a slide.

Looks like you are making a pretty clean build so far.

Yes I am still reading. The roof is .024 white aluminum that will over lap the sides about 3/4 of an in. I then bed a membrane over the lap and when the 1 1/2 inch trim goes on it is bedded in a polymer caulk designed for bedding and lap seams. Weight wise I figured it will be about the same as when I got it but maybe lighter. I weighed a section of the old wall and compared that to my materials. Two of us could not lift off the old roof. the new roof was a lot lighter and there is not that much more weight being added to it. The old floor seemed a little lighter that the new floor but not by much. The new floor is all aluminum. As far as the floor plan we added a foot in length to accommodate 2 single beds up front. We also eliminated the curved front end to gain a little more usable space. I really won't know about my weight until I get it on the scales. I really think I'm going to be several hundred pounds lighter. The trailer weighed in at 3000# dry weight when we bought it. I hope to be the same or lighter. The old trailer was leaking at the lights, roof trim, access doors, wheel wells, sky light and around the threshold of the door. 

Thanks for the interest, Happy Camping  Tom

Thanks for your response. Sounds pretty good so far. I will keep my fingers crosses that no leaks show up on your first test.

Sounds like a small class C or B rebuild should be your next project. I can't imagine this is a one-time event for you.

I rebuilt a truck camper about 6 years and have had no leaks. We took water around the door in Ohio when a tornado went by. Very scary, I had visions Dorthy,s house in Wizard Of Oz, except my wife and I are in the truck camper. It was weird as the whole thing was just vibrating. The trailer will be the last rebuild project as age is becoming a factor.

Thanks again for the interest, happy camping, Tom

Thank you Keymastr. It was quite a learning curve with  mig welding the aluminum.

Tom

The siding installation has started. Complete with thermo block material on the outside of the framing and an aluminum stretcher.

Attachments

• Siding install right side 1.jpg
    Siding install right side 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 319
  • Siding install right side 2.jpg
    Siding install right side 2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 272
  • Siding install right side back 3.jpg
    Siding install right side back 3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Siding install right side pop rivets 1.jpg
    Siding install right side pop rivets 1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Siding right side back 4.jpg
    Siding right side back 4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Siding right side back 5.jpg
    Siding right side back 5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 237
  • thermo block.jpg
    thermo block.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 269
Thank you Gary. We just finished the other side today. I'm also another camper who really appreciates the great job you do with the site!

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom