Total rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Holidays to all!

Finally, all the exterior siding is on and the cut outs have started. Next will be water proofing all the edges and then trim.

Tom

Attachments

• Siding back and door cut out.jpg
    Siding back and door cut out.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 253
  • window cut out left 2.jpg
    window cut out left 2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 291
Thank you ! And yes I am keeping track of the costs. As of now all the receipts a neatly filed away in an envelope labeled Trailer. In aluminum, framing, floor, trim and skin inside and out $2600.00. I will basically have a poor mans Airstream as there is no wood except for the cabinet face frames and cabinet doors.

Thanks for the interest and happy camping!

Tom

I wish my wife would let me do something like that. I love to build and tinker. Looks awesome and am looking forward to new updates and photos.

sklunk77 said:
I wish my wife would let me do something like that. I love to build and tinker. Looks awesome and am looking forward to new updates and photos.

Can she be bribbed?  ;D

Hello All,

A little up date and some more progress. The windows are in, leak test with pressure washer completed,
wiring in ceiling and walls completed, ceiling insulation and ceiling finish completed.

Thanks for the interest,  Happy Camping Tom

Attachments

• Windows 1.jpg
    Windows 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Windows 2.jpg
    Windows 2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 180
  • Insulation ceiling 1.jpg
    Insulation ceiling 1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Insulation wall front 3.jpg
    Insulation wall front 3.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Insulation foam gone wrong 1.jpg
    Insulation foam gone wrong 1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Ceiling finish 1.jpg
    Ceiling finish 1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 230
Hi everyone!

Thank you for your interest. And by the way your only as young as you think even though the old body may not feel like it. I am far from being young.

Happy camping! Tom

very nice!

I always thought it would be fun to do that...... I used to want to build a custom popup, but now I would love to do a motorhome.
I'm handy, just not that handy though..... and not patient enough either.

Maybe if I can figure out how to retire early and wealthy, then I'll have the time and resources....

I look forward to seeing what you do with the layout and finishes....

Great work.
I'm envious of guys like you that can take on a project like that and do quality work.

My wife once told a contractor that was doing some work on our house: " If I wanted shi$$y work,I would let my husband do it" :-[

Wow, that is an awesome job. I'm particularly impressed with the new steps. Do those cinder blocks retract manually or electrically ;) Great work!!

Kev

Thank you all for your positive comments!
The cinder blocks are manual. It's all most easier to move the trailer to the blocks. I am afraid I'll wear out the retractable step with as many trips in and out I have yet to make to finish the project.
The finishes are modest. Cypress cabinet face frames and doors with a clear polyurethane finish, walls are white aluminum, dining table will be cypress, counter tops will be stainless steel.
Oh, and I'm not retired and very far from wealthy. These may not be the Golden Years financially but the fact that I am fortunate to have a great wife, good health, can go camping, and have a fun job is good enough for me.

Happy camping, Tom

tc tom said:
Thank you all for your positive comments!
The cinder blocks are manual. It's all most easier to move the trailer to the blocks. I am afraid I'll wear out the retractable step with as many trips in and out I have yet to make to finish the project.
The finishes are modest. Cypress cabinet face frames and doors with a clear polyurethane finish, walls are white aluminum, dining table will be cypress, counter tops will be stainless steel.
Oh, and I'm not retired and very far from wealthy. These may not be the Golden Years financially but the fact that I am fortunate to have a great wife, good health, can go camping, and have a fun job is good enough for me.

Happy camping, Tom

I really am enjoying your pics and updates.  That's a great job you're doing with it.  And I always figure that no man, or woman for that matter is guaranteed tomorrow, so it's best to enjoy today.

I hiked up Angels landing at Zion National Park a few years ago.  I really enjoyed it, but don't think I could do it at 67.  There were some people hiking, that were probably near that age, but I'm not sure my knees would enjoy it as much at 67. 

I've got a friend that is now retired, and lived this way most of his life.  He and his wife had been everywhere they wanted to go before he retired.  Shortly after he retired his wife died.  He has some health problems now as well, so couldn't travel right now anyway.  He is very glad that they did the traveling before he retired.  He has some great memories that he would not have had if they waited until he retired. 

Enjoy your project and your camping! 8)

My wife and I are in our late 60's and are lucky enough to still do some moderate hiking. A few years ago we met a couple, on the trail, who we have become friends with who are are a real inspiration. In the summer the live on a isolated mountaintop in N. Carolina.  Their cabin is 45 minutes  by car from the nearest blacktop road. There is no running water or electric. They haul all their water and use solar cells. They maintain their dirt and stone road by hand. They consciously chose this unplugged life style 18 years ago. Their both almost 80. Just last year they told us they were going to slow down a little and bought a small house in Asheville. They were tired of using the laundromats. It's a little to unplugged for my wife and I, but it's just wonderful to spend a day with them on their mountain top.

Happy camping, Tom

Back
Top Bottom