Oregon Saw Mill visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Last week we stopped at Elite RV Repair in Harrisburg, OR for a couple of days of routine maintenance on our Monaco. While the coach was being worked on, we visited Hull-Oakes Saw Mill in Monroe, OR This is the last of the old original mills still in operation in OR. They are the only mill left , west of the Mississippi that can still handle logs up to 84" in diameter. The mill still has the 450 HP steam engine which dates back to 1906. While the mill is now run with electric motors, the steam engine is still operational and is exercised once a month to make sure it is in running conditioned and could be used--if needed. They have the last operational mill pond that is still in use for sorting the logs, although they do use a boat - like a fun park bumper car - to move the logs around.

This mill does mostly custom sawing of large timbers for the rustic construction of lodges and large commercial buildings. They give tours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You are allowed to take photos anywhere on the tour.

Here's some photos I took while on the tour.

Attachments

• _LAN3600.jpg
    _LAN3600.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 102
  • _LAN3606.jpg
    _LAN3606.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 94
  • _LAN3609.jpg
    _LAN3609.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 82
  • _LAN3616.jpg
    _LAN3616.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 86
  • _LAN3620.jpg
    _LAN3620.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 85
  • _LAN3624.jpg
    _LAN3624.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 88
  • _LAN3625.jpg
    _LAN3625.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 86
  • _LAN3635.jpg
    _LAN3635.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 91
Great report Chet. Thanks. It makes me wish I'd taken more pictures when the Tacoma mills were still in operation. It's impressive to stand next to a 12" wide bandsaw blade in the sharpening shop that one person can't lift. And the 8' diameter circular blades were also awe inspiring. The only mill still in operation that I know of in my area is the Manke mill but they're a small mill with small equipment. Probably can't do much over a 3' log.

Ken

very cool pics. Fatherinlaw worked at a sawmill in WA and then at another one in Crescent City. Too bad they are almost all gone now.

The last time we went to Alaska we visited a number of different types of lumber mills in British Columbia.  One made Oriented Strand Board, one stripped the bark off the logs before making planks for Home Depot, one was a finger-joining mill where they took unusable 2x4s and made them into 2x3s that were used for vertical frames in trailers.  All fascinating!  We also went to North America's largest aluminum smelter.  We both love seeing things being made!

ArdraF

The Saw Mill review was very interesting & the pictures are gread. Thanks for posting

Hi Chet,
I worked at that mill when I wore a younger mans cloths ;-).  That job inspired me to seek higher education so I could find a job that was warm and dry in the Winter and cool and clean in the Summer.  The carriage was run by steam and was called a shotgun carriage.  I think that was because it could shoot back very quickly.  The people on it had to hang on.  When I worked there, three people worked on the carriage; two ratchet setters and the person who controlled the carriage. 

In the Winter I wished for the boilermans job...all warm and dry feeding the fire.  In the Summer I was sooo glad I wasn't the boilerman.  The most entertaining job I had was driving one of the jitneys.  All four wheels turned and it would drive over a pile of lumber stacked on special blocks so the jitney could pick it up and transport it.  Sort of like driving a tall sports car. 

It is a very interesting mill and has survived many of the ups and downs of the economy.  The other mill that was just down the road past Hull and Oaks (Millers Lumber) went out of business many years ago.  There are some roads past the mill that are fun to explore.  There is a forest fire lookout at the top of Green Peak and further North you can find a road that goes to the top of Mary's Peak.  Its beautiful country.

We visited a sawmill one fine day in the middle of the night when they had a small fire going. I did get a picture of the size of one of their sawblades. I'm 4' 24" in my stocking feet.

Ken

Attachments

• Picture Frame Nov 12 151a.jpg
    Picture Frame Nov 12 151a.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 35
We live in Dallas, OR, less than an hour from Monroe and drive through Monroe frequently on RV outings. Never knew there is a mill there. We put it on our must visit list! Thanks, Chet! Love your pics!

I used to do a lot of boating on the Columbia river. We would sometimes tie up overnight to log rafts that were moored along the river. We always picked the older looking ones, since it seemed unlikely they would be moved anytime soon; some actually had bushes growing on them. One night we were rousted before dawn by one of those boats they use for pushing the logs around. They wanted the very raft we were tied up to! I always harbored (you should pardon the pun) a suspicion that they chose that raft just so they could hassle us in the middle of the night.

Hello Chet, we are about 175 miles north of you heading to  Washington. Enjoyed your pics of the saw mill. Tell Laurie hello from us.

Hi Punomatic,
Hull and Oaks Mill is located North West of Monroe in Dawson (don't know if that is officially on the map but there used to be a sign on the road) and is about 5 miles West of Bellfountian.  Love those small towns.  Many were just a few houses, a gas station, a church, and a school, and good people. 

Rolin said:
Hi Punomatic,
Hull and Oaks Mill is located North West of Monroe in Dawson (don't know if that is officially on the map but there used to be a sign on the road) and is about 5 miles West of Bellfountian.  Love those small towns.  Many were just a few houses, a gas station, a church, and a school, and good people.
Thanks, Rolin. I found the mill on my Google Map. I have never noticed a sign, but that doesn't mean there isn't one there. I'll look on our next trip through Monroe. I agree with you about the little towns. They are charming and filled with interesting people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom