101 North Travel Eureka, CA to Tillamook, OR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campfire RV

While talking with someone over the weekend they mentioned to me about parts of the 101 in northern California and Oregon as being quite scary to drive. We are planning a summer three week vacation in Oregon in late July and driving the MH north on the 101 from Eureka, CA to Tillamook, OR. Are there any areas on the 101 north that we should be aware of that you would consider ify in a MH? We only have one reservation setup for this trip and that is at Winchester Bay RV Resort.

Highway 101 is a beautiful drive.  You're on the edge of a cliff  on the ocean side for a short time, but driving from Eureka north you are on the inside next to the hill rather than the drop off (ocean) side. 

Go for it. We've pulled our 34ft 5th wheel on the 101 from San Francisco to Port Angeles twice in the last 2 years alone! Never had a bit of trouble and we measure 55 total feet. Now, if you are not comfortable driving in the first place, stick to the highway please but otherwise, don't miss this fantastic trip.

We've driven it in both directions although we did take some trips to the interior a few times including a drive up to Crater Lake that my wife would kill me if I tried to do again. From the ranger gate at the north west corner up along Rim Dr. to the top lookout/visitors center ..... now that was scary! Coming down we took a different route and that was cake.

Be sure to go to Ferndale and have dinner on the island at an old loggers camp. There is a VFW post on Whidley Island near Oak Harbor that has about 12 rv spots with water and electric and onsite dump. $10/night and some beautiful country to see nearby.  See the air museum at Tillamook. If you belong to the Moose, the Eureka lodge has Rv sites also.

??? Whidbey Island is a bit of a drive past Tillamook OR. There are some sections of 101 along the coast that are best taken at reduced speed but nothing to worry about unless you don't like corners. It is one scenic drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom