1997 Skamper electrical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt.davalynn

Hey all, I recently bought a 1997 skamper model 17a I believe. The previous owner (my father in law) stated everything worked on it 5 years ago when he parked it.  I am completely new to campers, have thought about getting something for years now.  I got a good deal on it and other than a few things it seems in pretty good condition.  I have replaced the tires, battery and I am putting new utility covers on it.  The unit Includes AC (coleman), propane stove, 3 way refrigerator, My father in law told me I was supposed to hook the 110 electrical cord into a outlet inside the camper and run the large black (i believe 30A) cable from the converter box to an outlet.  I ordered a 30A to normal 110 converter and plugged it in. As soon as I do this the breaker in the house flips.  If I unplug the Ac unit and reset the breaker in the house it does not flip.  Anybody have any ideas?  Unfortunately I'm at work and haven't had time to take it apart yet.    Also, if anyone has any knowlege about pop up campers/ camping with one in general I would be glad to get that too.  Thanks in advance!

Matt

My father in law told me I was supposed to hook the 110 electrical cord into a outlet inside the camper...

Is this the cord for the a/c we are talking about?  Not sure what is being plugged into this outlet.

It may be the a/c unit has seized up from sitting so long. Can you remove the outside cover and turn the fan by hand?

Yes Gary,  that is what I was meaning.  Had the whole post written out betier the first time and had to re post. And I will try moving the fan!

Are you saying your A/C has it's own power cord?  Actually this does not matter.

From the sounds of it the breaker in the  house is likely a 15 amp.. (Might be a 20 but more likely a 15)

When you first plug in your converter is drawing power to charge teh batteries, Though odds you have something like a Magnetek 6300 (Check the door that covers your circuit breakers and 12 volt fuses inside the Trailer) it is possible you do not have one at all... Some converters can suck major power if the battery is low on the trailer.

Plus older A/Cs (I gather this one may be as much as 10) can suck enough to trip a 15 amp breaker,, This is normal.

I'd snag a 12ga extension cord (Sears or K-mart with the push button on the outlet) and try the A/C by itself, no other loads.

ALSO. The outlet you are plugging into.. It may have other loads on it as well. (Other outlets with stuff plugged in).

John From Detroit said:
Are you saying your A/C has it's own power cord?  Actually this does not matter.

From the sounds of it the breaker in the  house is likely a 15 amp.. (Might be a 20 but more likely a 15)

When you first plug in your converter is drawing power to charge teh batteries, Though odds you have something like a Magnetek 6300 (Check the door that covers your circuit breakers and 12 volt fuses inside the Trailer) it is possible you do not have one at all... Some converters can suck major power if the battery is low on the trailer.

Plus older A/Cs (I gather this one may be as much as 10) can suck enough to trip a 15 amp breaker,, This is normal.

I'd snag a 12ga extension cord (Sears or K-mart with the push button on the outlet) and try the A/C by itself, no other loads.

ALSO. The outlet you are plugging into.. It may have other loads on it as well. (Other outlets with stuff plugged in).

I think it's a 20A breaker, but I will check to make sure. Yes the ac unit has its own power cord.  I'll check to see if plugging it in by itself fixes the issue, but if i remember right i think we tried that.  The battery should not be low as it is brand new, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I'll try plugging the ac in by itself and putting a trickle charger on the battery as well.  And good idea on the bigger cord, not sure what mine are off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure they're not 12ga.  I should be able to check some of these suggestions tomorrow. Just started another 12hr shift!  Keep em coming all, I appreciate it!

Is the house breaker a GFCI breaker?  GFCI protection has been required for bathroom, kitchen and outdoor outlets for some time now and it can be incorporated either in the familiar GFCI outlet or in the circuit breaker itself.

If it is a GFCI breaker, you may have dirt inside the air conditioner that's providing a bridge between the live electrical leads and the chassis of the air conditioner.  This will shunt part of the returning current to the ground lead, causing the GFCI to trip as it should.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom