Where to do repairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

halfwright

Where do the rest of the full-timers do the needed repairs and maintenance. Most parks won't even let you wash your unit, let alone pull a wheel. If you wanted to do a big job. like replace brakes, or remove decals, where would you go?

I repaired my electric brakes in a Home Depot parking lot - out of the way on the side of the store on nice smooth clean blacktop. Plus the electrical parts and wiring was only a short walk into the store....nobody bothered me and it worked well.

Good Luck,

Jim

I am in a COE park that is for volunteers only and am removing the decals that got the Montana decal rot. This is the only park I have been in that allowed repairs and washing. I was wondering what to do next time.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Not all parks are fussy about repairs - those semi-shabby places with a lot of year-around residents seldom have many rules. Or seldom enforce them if they do.

If you're in a nimby type of region and need to make a repair, maybe what we call a contractors yard would work. A landowner in a business zone rents fenced in space to contractors, landscapers, and fishermen that can't keep their gear at home. They work on their gear at the yard.

Bill

I made some repairs in a rented storage lot. I've seen others making far more extensive repairs there than those I did.

I did one emergency repair in a church parking lot. Be especially careful not to leave messy stains from RV fluids behind. I always carry pieces of cardboard to lay on and to make it easier to slide under and out as well as newspaper to absorb minor spills. Wad them up and contain them in plastic shopping bags for disposal.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, the Pioneer camp ground in Whitehorse, Yukon (just in case someone reading this is on the trip to Alaska) has great repair facilities available where you can power wash and/or get your RV up on a rack where you can stand up under it.

Minor things like oil changes, fuel filter replacements, brake line repairs and bleeding, etc. I've done in NAPA, AutoZone and Advance Auto parking lots after buying parts there. Many of these places really do not care so long as you stay out of the way.

Lastly, I did one oil change in a municipal parking lot while my wife did laundry. I admit I was a bit stealthy about that one since I was not sure if I broke any laws. OTOH, I didn't spill a single drop of oil that was not onto my cardboard, so no lingering guilt feelings.

WalMart sells a nice oil drain pan that doubles as a container to take used oil for recycling. Big enough for gassers only.

If none of this solves your problem, it might be worthwhile to simply hire an RV service center to do the work. It feels good to simply pay the bill... no dirty hands required.

After answering your post, I went to the local Farm & Fleet and spoke with the manager. He said I could work on the coach in the far corner of their lot. No problem. Of course he expects me to buy my filters and oil from them, which I will do. They have a farm and truck tire shop there too, so its perfect for topping off the tires before we leave town. And its right next to the interstate entrance!

Stan

Back
Top Bottom