2006 Southeast Fall Rally Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
The RVForum's 2006 SOUTHEAST FALL RALLY will be held at SKIDAWAY ISLAND STATE PARK in SAVANNAH, GA. The rally starts Friday, October 20 and ends Oct 25, but the Brincks will arrive on 10/19/2006.  Feel free to come early and stay late - there's lots to see and do there. It should be a good location, with historic Savannah near by and several of Georgia's historic sites within an easy drive. And Skidaway is a barrier island on the Intracoastal waterway, with numerous marshes that attract birds and small wildlife.

Please reserve your site as soon as you can firm up your plans. Savannah is on the snowbird route to Florida and sometimes sites will fill up at this time of year.  Reservations can be made online at theGeorgia State Parks webs site - http://gastateparks.org/ - or by calling 800-864-7275 (Monday-Friday, 8AM-8PM; Saturday-Sunday, 9AM-5PM EST). All sites are $24/night and are 30A water/electric/CATV. There are a few 50A sites but they are not reservable - it's first come, first served on arrival.

I'll post further details on activities as we develop ideas for them. However, be assured we will have our traditional social hours and evening campfires. And probably the "Men Cook Breakfast" thing too - that seems to be popular (the ladies love it!).

Here's a direct link to the Skidaway Island page:

http://gastateparks.org/net/go/parks.aspx?locationid=19&s=19.0.1.5

Attendees (as of 8/13/2006)

Reservations made:
---------------------------
Gary & Nancy Brinck  (10/19-10/25)
Jeff & Sue Cousins
Ray & Ladonna Baginski
Dave & Jeanette Reavis
Dave & Joanne Derway (10/20-1-/25)
Bill & Jolene Whetstone
Wayne & Judy Malone (10/19-?)

Maybe???
-----------------------
Ron & Shirley Marabito
David & Barbara Andrews

Can't make it this time
---------------------------
Joel & Camille Myers
Jim & Pat Dick

TENTATIVE PLANS (subject to change once we all get together at the park)

This fall hosts Gary & Nancy will prepare two dinners for the group, on Friday & Monday evenings.  We wil ask folks to chip in to cover the cost of the ingredients.  For the Pancake & Egg breakfast, we can each contribute some of the  iitems, e.g. eggs, sausage, maple syrup, etc. 

Morning Koffee Klatches and Afternoon Happy Hours as usual - amaze your friends with your favorite sweet roll and hor de'ouvres recipes (or whatever treats the supermarket offers!).

Friday:      Chicken Gumbo Dinner [Gary & Nancy] with desert by Joanne Derway

Saturday:  North Carolina BBQ [Dave & Jeanette]

Sunday:    Beef Briskett Dinner [Gary & Nancy] & maybe Ray will make his famous upside down cake??

Monday:  Pancake & Egg Breakfast [Men do the Cooking]

Tuesday:  Dinner at a local restaurant???

Judy and I are tenatively planning to spend a few days with you starting the 19th unless someone will be there earlier. We didn't get out of town this summer, so will be starting our summer trip Oct 19. ;D. Expect to leave you folks and go to Oh ten for about 4 weeks

I am finishing up my 45 radiation treatments the 9th and need some time to have the side effects go away. The Dr. says everything is going great and expects my first post-treatment PSA to be below 0.2? :D. Also Judy is having a routine stress test on the 9th and we need to await the results of that. Her Renal ultra sound scan came back good.

If nothing new happens in the near future we hope to see you at Skidaway soon

Wayne

Gary, We had to change our plans a bit, and will be showing and leaving a day earlier than previously thought. Jo is still planning on making dessert for Friday and is thinking about making a homemade banana pudding (real pudding...not the instant stuff) for the Saturday night BBQ. She is also contemplating cooking a pot of chili and beans for us guys if the women take off and go shopping. You know they can find themselves "way down on the Suwanee River" if they are not careful? ;D .

Sure are looking forward to seeing everybody and catching up. Thats why you don't see us post often, it gives us a chance to find out what everybody has been up to!

David & Joanne Derway

We arrived a Skidaway Island Park this afternoon and are esconced on Site 85 in Camping Area 2.  We are looking out the window watching a deer and a couple squirrels feeding and are thinking this is a pretty nice place even if the rain is threatening at the momemnt.

Our site is in a group of a dozen 50A sites and most of the 5 rigs currently in this little loop are leaving Thursday or Friday, so there should be sites available for everybody when they arrive.    Satellite users will be disappointed to learn the park is heavily wooded, but each site has cable tv to help make up for it.  I was happy to learn that Georgia gives a 15% discount to campers aged 62 or more, so be sure to mention it if you or anyone in your party qualifies.

The directions to the campground on the GA Parks site are good and there are no "tricks".  Just take I-16 east of I-95 to exit 164A and exit onto I-516. Follow 516 util it turns into DeRennes St and continue to the intersection of Waters Ave, about  3/4 mile or so. Waters Ave has a turn lane, so there's adequate room to turn a big rig. Follow Waters until it turns into Diamond Causeway and continue on. After you cross the drawbridge (the second water crossing) the park road is about 1/4 mile on the left. There is a sign on the right indicating the park entrance.

Reavis's, Derways & Brincks are here so far. Derways go in late after discovering a broken water pipe in their house just as they were leaving. Dave had to do emergency repairs before theycould get on the road, but they persevered. Today we expect the Malones, the Baginski's, the Cousins and maybe the Whetstones too.

Went to dinner last night at Catherine's,  a local restaurant and had a good meal and a nice time.  Afterwards Joanne brought over fresh grown catnip for our cat Blackie and he got all dreamy-looking after rolling around in his "drugs" for awhile.

Ahhhhh...back home after another wonderful SE Fall Rally hosted by the Brinks! Great Job Gary! We ate wayyy to much, solved most of the worlds problems, enjoyed campfires and wonderful company. And the best part, we came back to a dry house...no new leaks? ;D . Dave Reavis used his mountain dulcimer to teach me a new song for my Hammered Dulcimer and didn't cringe too badly when I whapped away on the strings. He also told me about a number of dulcimer festivals I'll have to check out this coming year. Several new dishes were tried this year, along with Ray's pinapple upsidedown cake and the men cooking breakfast for the women. Judging from the positive comments from the ladies, I think we did a good job again.

It was great seeing old friends and meeting new folks and we look forward to seeing everybody again next year!

David & Joanne Derway

Dave:

Let us add our kudos to Gary and Nancy and say how much we enjoyed meeting you all. It was a great sized group to get to visit with everyone.

The Baginskis and Reavis's are still here departing tomorrow. We pull out Friday. See you next year!

Anyone snap any photos at the rally you can share?

TIA.

Hi Dave, sounds like folks were too busy having fiun.

I'm afraid I didn't take any photos either. We were seriously into "laid back" at we neared the end of our journey cross country and didn't do much of anything.

I think Wayne Malone may have snapped a few, but he's enroute to Ohio. Maybe when he gets there...?

RV Roamer said:
We were seriously into "laid back" at we neared the end of our journey cross country and didn't do much of anything.

There's nowt wrong with that Gary. Glad you and Nancy had an opportunity to recharge your batteries.

As usual Gary and Nancy did a super job of hosting the SE rally. It was great seeing everyone again and meeting Jeff and Sue.
The food and beverages were great as usual.

We left on Thursday and are now in Myrtle Beach in the rain. Sunday we will be going on to Longs SC for our carriage club
camp out.

Dave & Jeanette

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom