Those darn leaky Vacuum Breakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amatol

I just replaced the shower vacuum breaker in my Great West Class B with a new Phoenix  breaker ( the white one) as pictured.  Still getting a leak through the pea hole.    I considered replacing the entire faucet, but that looks like it would be a major undertaking beyond my skill sets.  There is no easy access panel.  Appreciate any sage advice.

Attachments

• Vacuum Breaker.jpg
    Vacuum Breaker.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 57
What's the connection between a vacuum breaker and a leaky faucet?  I guess I don't know how those things interact

amatol said:
Bob, What did you use in it's place?

On my shower fixture, the vacuum breaker was attached to the upper wall fixture on one end, and the shower head hose on the other end.
I simply removed the breaker and screwed the shower head hose into the wall fixture. Same threads.

Ah.  I see.  Unfortunately, my set up is a bit different.  The vacuum breaker has a 1/2" MIP on one end and 1/8" MIP on the other.  Apparently this is the standard vacuum breaker used for most  interior and exterior shower hose connections.  Just baffled why it still leaks out the pea hole.  Appreciate your input.

I posted this to detail my fix and help folks in the future.  I removed the breaker with a 3/8" wrench, pulled the top off of the breaker with an oversized drill bit.  You will see a little rubber diaphragm;  Either clean it and reassemble; or what I did, was put a little stainless screw into the weep hole through the diaphragm; drilled the flow hole a little larger all the way through; (I did not reinstall the breaker flat cap), and reassemble with a little pipe thread.  No more leak and all good pressure.  You could easily just put a screw in the weep hole from the bottom with a dab of silicone.  Other wise buy a new breaker.  Note they are supposed to weep some water when the shower is turned off, but mine was spraying at the  time. 

You could replace the vacuum breaker with a "D-spud" adapter that eliminates it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pheonix-USA-9-35-13-Phoenix-PF273001/dp/B000BGOCMU/

Back
Top Bottom