Border crossing questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxpat0913

we're taking our first RV trip since retiring, and will be travelling from MI to Quebec, and crossing at the Port Huron I94/I69 bridge border into Ontario.  Anyone have any advice?  We're traveling in class A with a dinghy vehicle.

We're also looking for advice on campgrounds in Montreal and Quebec.  Locations that are nice, but as close to the downtown core of each city.  Or any campgrounds that have any really cool things to do sort of along the route.

Thanks - Pat

Peterbourgh has a really nice campground.  Has 1 of 2 lift locks in the world, neat to watch.  A Quaker Oats factory tour and great restaurants with a wide variety of ethnic foods.  60-70 miles east of Toronto.

I have crossed into Canada and back into the US several times and have never had a problem. Had my RV searched one time when crossing into Canada at Niagara Falls. Was crossing with my two grandchildren. DW, myself and grands were taken into office and computer checks were run. Three officials went on RV and did search. Twenty minutes later we were on our way. We were nice. They were nice. So no problem. Was ask about apples and firewood once while going into BC. Of course, they will always ask about fire arms. We have just had a man die in Texas with "mad cow disease", so they may ask if you have any fresh beef on board. I did have two fresh steaks taken several years ago after a "mad cow" scare. Best of luck with your travels.

Frank

The recent Texas incident was a man that had been traveling out of the country extensively.  It's believed he contracted the disease while overseas.

There are no longer any campgrounds on the Island of Montreal to my knowledge. There are a few on the South Shore, several just west of the Island (Hudson, Vaudreuil, etc) and at least 1 nice one in Laval (North but adjacent to the Island of Montreal).

Crossing into Canada is not a problem but have your passports with you if you wish to re-enter the USA later!!! NO HAND GUNS on board or on your person regardless of any permits you may have for them in USA. Long guns (hunting) require prior authorization, I believe. Most foods are acceptable but check and answer honestly if asked about particular products. Nothing with earth on the roots for sure... Be nice and they will be nice 99% of the time.

No RIGHT turns on RED on the Island of Montreal, but almost everywhere else in the Province it is acceptable. We measure speed in Km/Hour across Canada: 100Km/h = about 62 MPH  A GPS is a good way to check that as they can be set to read either kilometres or miles very easily. Distance signs are all in Kilometres.

On Edit, I should add, roadwork in and around Montreal is crazy and includes some of the bridges to and from our island, you do NOT want to use the RV for transport and parking in the Big City...

Have a wonderful vacation and Welcome to Canada and Montreal.

Ned, I had not read the details on the "mad cow' incident. Thanks for the information.

Frank

We cross in and out of Canada fairly often using the Sarnia/Port Huron entry point when traveling from NY to MI and back. We've never had any problems there, other than some significant delays when they were rebuilding the approach roads. I think that project has been completed though. Or at least the parts that affected traffic flow.

Frank Hurst said:
Ned, I had not read the details on the "mad cow' incident. Thanks for the information.

I didn't want anyone thinking we had any angry cows in Texas :)

Ned said:
I didn't want anyone thinking we had any angry cows in Texas<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />
I don't know about that, Ned. I recall a few longhorns years ago that weren't very happy about sharing their range with my partner and I. And they didn't mind letting us know it! We finally had to park our trucks in a 'V' in front of the well head we were working on, to keep them charging at us.  :eek: ;D

Dutch, those were probably steers, the cows are pretty docile :)

we're taking our first RV trip since retiring, and will be travelling from MI to Quebec, and crossing at the Port Huron I94/I69 bridge border into Ontario.  Anyone have any advice?  We're traveling in class A with a dinghy vehicle.

Thanks - Pat

We have crossed at Port Huron several times both with a travel trailer and with a motorhome and dinghy.  No problems - went right through the regular lanes, answered the simple questions (where going, who seeing, how long staying) and also presented papers on our animals (rabies shots, etc).  Nice highway as far a London, Ont which is as far as we went.

Ned said:
Dutch, those were probably steers, the cows are pretty docile<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

You would be mad too if you were transformed into a steer! ;D

Hi Pat,

The Escapees forum, which we also frequent, had a quite long and interesting thread in this respect a few days ago:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=110785

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

Thanks for the good question and all the answers. My wife and I are planning on a trip in Sept to Niagara and Canada and will cross the border for the first time.

The only time we ever had issues with crossing the border was at Niagara Falls, on bicycles. We crossed into Canada for sightseeing, and they gave us a real hard time about returning.

Never had any problems with passenger cars or RVs, except for one very obnoxious agent on Campobello Island. Again, returning to the US. I guess everyone has a bad day once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom