EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: The West Coast with the Wishard"s  (Read 17234 times)

John Beard

• ---
Re: The West Coast with the Wishard"s
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2014, 07:23:43 AM »
Thanks Mike, if you get a chance go on Jerry's Jet Boat rides. That was a fun day. Here in Newport you can crab off the public pier. Crabbing license is $20.00 good for a year and you can buy crab pots for $20.00 each at Walmart.

I've got three days to fill in on our travels between stops. Our ultimate destination (7-day stay) is Roseburg, OR. We're on a two-week time frame due to Susan's work duties so I can't really meander. Our first destination (reservations) are at Sunset Bay for three days. I could head back down to Gold Beach which is only 80 miles from Sunset Bay to do Jerry's Boat Rides, or we could head to ???.

Any place really special that you've visited on the coast that is a must see?
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Henry Wishard

• ---
  • Gone Crazy*** Be Back Soon
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »
  We have enjoyed the whole coast. Margaret loved Jerry's Jet Boat Rides and the hikes in the State Parks. I am into the crabbing in Newport. So I don't think you can go wrong just cruising the coast and visiting the different light houses and beaches along the way. Again we liked Harris Beach State park in Brookings.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »
   Yesterday after me crabbing all morning with no luck at all we visited the Yaquina Head light house. The head stands 162Ft. above sea level. It's 93 ft. tall and the tallest on the Oregon Coast. You can walk down to the Tide Pools when the tide is out and explore for starfish and other sea life.
   We then drove down to Depoe Bay and had some great chowder at the Gracie's Sea Hag Resturant. It was the best chowder we have had on the coast.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
Henry

Have you hit any of the Mo's Seafood restaurants yet? Great clam chowder.

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »
Love the Light House & coastal pictures thanks for posting

THEBigLarry

• ---
  • If a Hammer won't fix it, it's an electrical issue
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
Love the Light House & coastal pictures thanks for posting

I also like the lighthouse photos.  They are a lot like railroad depot structures in that they
were built for a specific purpose and while they serve a common purpose, most of them are
individually different. 

Keep them coming. . . . . .
Larry and Loretta Dodd
2007 American Eagle 42' 500 Big Horses
2014 Jeep Rubicon  "LoLa II"
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Living Life at Full Throttle!  
FULL TIME as of Aug 1, 2014.

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2014, 11:50:50 PM »
  Jeff, we have already had chowder at Mo's It was good but not as good to me as some of the other I have been too. Today was a better day crabbing. Ended up with 10 Dungeness after spending 8 hrs on the Newport public dock.
  I will try and post as many light houses as we can. We missed a few back south of here.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2014, 12:25:24 AM »
Thanks Henry!  I am also a big fan of Lighthouses.  ;D

Steve
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2014, 08:23:37 AM »
  Jeff, we have already had chowder at Mo's It was good but not as good to me as some of the other I have been too.

While Mo's  chowder was a favorite of our departed friend Russ, I'm with you.  I have had better elsewhere. I am  so enjoying  your Oregon coast trip.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
Henry,

I agree with you about Mo's. Last year we wouldn't even have gone to Mo's except for Russ. Russ loved Mo's.
We are planning on a few days at Winchester bay before the Monaco pre-rally at Coos Bay.

Ken
currently in Anacortes, WA

Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2014, 10:43:41 AM »
What can I say?  Mo's is Mo's because Mo's is Mo's.  ;D   I prefer the Mo's in Lincoln City because that's where our family memories linger all wrapped up in chowder and garlic bread.  It's an Oregon "thing".
Margi

MrWizzard

• ---
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
We spent the 1st week of June at Whalers Rest, a TT campground, in Newport and had a great time. The Rogue Brewery is a must BTW. we really like south Beach State Park too. Spent the 2nd week at Southport Beach in Mendocino Co., CA. There is so much to see and do here on the west coast that you just have to work at not having a good time!!!

My brother and his wife really like Florence on the OR coast and other friends prefer Bandon. I think try 'em all!!!

Glad you are having a great time in this part of the country!!!
Rolling along, singing a song in a
2014 Ford F150 EcoBoost
2006 Keystone Zepplin II

" A rolling kitty gathers no fleas." -Juliana K'abal-Xok

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
We are parked in the Rouge Brewery complex. Walked over and had their sampler of beers last night. I love all the places that you mentioned but can't pick a favorite. I have caught 14 Dungeness crab since yesterday on the public pier behind Rouge Brewery. The State park in South Beach is just 2 miles South of us now. We spent 3 night there and then moved here for 7 nights. South Beach is really nice. Margaret's favorite chowder was at Gracie's Sea Hag in Depoe Bay. They say around here that the taste of Chowder at different places changes like the weather. They all are billed as" Award Winning".
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
  Spent the night at Pleasure Valley RV park a few miles south of Tillamook. Visited the Tillamook Cheese factory and today will visit the 2 lighthouses close by. It's been raining the past few days. Must have rained rabbits because they were all over the place.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »
The weather is supposed to be clearing this week in that area.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
   Today we visited the Cape Meares Lighthouse. The shortest lighthouse on the coast at 38' but 207' above sea level. While in the park we hiked to the octopus tree. Also tasted wine and cheese at the Blue Heron Cheese factory.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

llib enad

• ---
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2014, 08:59:22 AM »
     Raymonda and I retired from Seaside, Or so have been waiting until you got closed to the area.  The visitors center has RV parking.  The Prom [board walk] is 1+ miles of beach front  or walk in the sand.  Lewis & Clark boiled sea water to get salt to preserve food for their return trip, ask at visitors center for location.
     Fort Steven State Park is the largest  in Or  and there is so much history there to see.  The Maritime museum in Astoria  is a must see .  The winter camp for Lewis & Clark between Astoria and  Warrenton is a nice visit. 
    Hope you can visit the area.

Bill Dane
99 CC  Allure

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
So happy you found the Blue Heron.  We have happy memories of stuffing ourselves with warm French bread and their brie cheese.  :)

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:27 AM »
Bill, thanks for all the suggestions. As we are staying in Seaside for a week I will try and make everyone. And Tom we also enjoyed the Blue Heron. Margaret liked it better than the Tillamook cheese factory because it was less crowded.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Terry A. Brewer

• ---
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »
Henry

That weather looks just like we witness every time we do the Oregon coast which is almost yearly..... A sunny day is a real rarity for us.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2014, 01:58:15 PM »
Henry

Drive 20 miles east and it will probably be hot and sunny. 8)

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
The last 2 days have been sunny with no clouds in the sky. Tried a little crabbing yesterday with no luck. Had lots of small crabs but no keepers. Today I will try my luck at crabbing.
  We are in Garibaldi at Harborview Inn &  RV park. Parked right on the water front. Will move on to Seaside for the 4th of July weekend.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »
Today should be priceless on the Oregon Coast.  Offshore winds predicted for today only.  Should be 70's on the coast and mid-90's inland.

Margi

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
The last 2 days have been sunny with no clouds in the sky. Tried a little crabbing yesterday with no luck. Had lots of small crabs but no keepers. Today I will try my luck at clamming.
  We are in Garibaldi at Harborview Inn &  RV park. Parked right on the water front. Will move on to Seaside for the 4th of July weekend.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »
   July 1st was a beautiful day. Got my limit on clams. Just one happy camper. Today I will be moving to Seaside for the 4th of July weekend.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

WashDad

• ---
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »
   July 1st was a beautiful day. Got my limit on clams. Just one happy camper. Today I will be moving to Seaside for the 4th of July weekend.

Keep the stories coming. My folks live in Coos Bay, so I'm on the Oregon coast frequently. Sounds like you already passed the aviation museum in Tillamook. Too bad -- it's small but interesting, and all the planes there are kept in flying condition (you can tell because they are dripping oil.  :) )

Are you stopping at Fort Clatsop near Astoria?  It's historically cool. If you are into obscure movie locations, the film "Short Circuit" was shot in Astoria, and the house Ally Sheedy lived in is near the Oregon end of the Astoria bridge.
Rick Tyler
Still shopping...
King County, Washington

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
Henry we have been following your trip along the West Coast. And have really enjoyed the commits & pictures. On Monday July 7 we will be head out on our on trip to the West Coast. We will be leaving Sweeny TX. on the TX Coast so it will take a while to get to California & the West Coast. Our general rout will be along I 10 so I know its going to be hot this time of the year. Taking a whale tour out of Ventura and after a few days in the LA area we will be heading north.

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2014, 11:11:17 AM »
   Rick, we did go to the Aviation Museum in Tillamook. However not a lot of planes but they did have a good film on the surrender of Japan during World War 2. There are more RV's stored in the hanger that planes. See picture below. Also visited Munson waterfall.
   We went in towards Astoria yesterday to the Costco and I saw the sign to Fort Clatsop, might drive out to it tomorrow.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Henry Wishard

• ---
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »
   Billy Bob, you sure will enjoy the cool Pacific coast in Oregon. We were in Sacramento a few weeks back and is was already in the 100's. We are also from Texas, lived in Conroe for the past 27 years but now full timers. When coming down I-10 in Ariz.if you need a place to stay try the SKP park in Benson, Az. We stayed there last year for $50.00 for a week and full hook ups. Nice park.
Henry & Margaret Wishard
12625 Lake Vista Dr
Willis, Texas 77318
2017 Tiffin Open Road

2012 Jeep Rubicon

Billy Bob

• ---
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »
Thanks I will check out that campground. Over the years we have been to Northern California & Oregon Coast several times July 2007 was the last time we were there so time to visit that area again.

Hosted by Over The Network