The West Coast with the Wishard"s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Henry Wishard said:
Thanks Mike, if you get a chance go on Jerry's Jet Boat rides. That was a fun day. Here in Newport you can crab off the public pier. Crabbing license is $20.00 good for a year and you can buy crab pots for $20.00 each at Walmart.

I've got three days to fill in on our travels between stops. Our ultimate destination (7-day stay) is Roseburg, OR. We're on a two-week time frame due to Susan's work duties so I can't really meander. Our first destination (reservations) are at Sunset Bay for three days. I could head back down to Gold Beach which is only 80 miles from Sunset Bay to do Jerry's Boat Rides, or we could head to ???.

Any place really special that you've visited on the coast that is a must see?

We have enjoyed the whole coast. Margaret loved Jerry's Jet Boat Rides and the hikes in the State Parks. I am into the crabbing in Newport. So I don't think you can go wrong just cruising the coast and visiting the different light houses and beaches along the way. Again we liked Harris Beach State park in Brookings.

Yesterday after me crabbing all morning with no luck at all we visited the Yaquina Head light house. The head stands 162Ft. above sea level. It's 93 ft. tall and the tallest on the Oregon Coast. You can walk down to the Tide Pools when the tide is out and explore for starfish and other sea life.
  We then drove down to Depoe Bay and had some great chowder at the Gracie's Sea Hag Resturant. It was the best chowder we have had on the coast.

Attachments

• Newport Oregon 001.JPG
    Newport Oregon 001.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Newport Oregon 009.JPG
    Newport Oregon 009.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Newport Oregon 005.JPG
    Newport Oregon 005.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 21
Henry

Have you hit any of the Mo's Seafood restaurants yet? Great clam chowder.

Billy Bob said:
Love the Light House & coastal pictures thanks for posting

I also like the lighthouse photos.  They are a lot like railroad depot structures in that they
were built for a specific purpose and while they serve a common purpose, most of them are
individually different. 

Keep them coming. . . . . .

Jeff, we have already had chowder at Mo's It was good but not as good to me as some of the other I have been too. Today was a better day crabbing. Ended up with 10 Dungeness after spending 8 hrs on the Newport public dock.
  I will try and post as many light houses as we can. We missed a few back south of here.

Henry Wishard said:
  Jeff, we have already had chowder at Mo's It was good but not as good to me as some of the other I have been too.

While Mo's  chowder was a favorite of our departed friend Russ, I'm with you.  I have had better elsewhere. I am  so enjoying  your Oregon coast trip.

Henry,

I agree with you about Mo's. Last year we wouldn't even have gone to Mo's except for Russ. Russ loved Mo's.
We are planning on a few days at Winchester bay before the Monaco pre-rally at Coos Bay.

Ken
currently in Anacortes, WA

What can I say?  Mo's is Mo's because Mo's is Mo's.  ;D  I prefer the Mo's in Lincoln City because that's where our family memories linger all wrapped up in chowder and garlic bread.  It's an Oregon "thing".
Margi

We spent the 1st week of June at Whalers Rest, a TT campground, in Newport and had a great time. The Rogue Brewery is a must BTW. we really like south Beach State Park too. Spent the 2nd week at Southport Beach in Mendocino Co., CA. There is so much to see and do here on the west coast that you just have to work at not having a good time!!!

My brother and his wife really like Florence on the OR coast and other friends prefer Bandon. I think try 'em all!!!

Glad you are having a great time in this part of the country!!!

We are parked in the Rouge Brewery complex. Walked over and had their sampler of beers last night. I love all the places that you mentioned but can't pick a favorite. I have caught 14 Dungeness crab since yesterday on the public pier behind Rouge Brewery. The State park in South Beach is just 2 miles South of us now. We spent 3 night there and then moved here for 7 nights. South Beach is really nice. Margaret's favorite chowder was at Gracie's Sea Hag in Depoe Bay. They say around here that the taste of Chowder at different places changes like the weather. They all are billed as" Award Winning".

Spent the night at Pleasure Valley RV park a few miles south of Tillamook. Visited the Tillamook Cheese factory and today will visit the 2 lighthouses close by. It's been raining the past few days. Must have rained rabbits because they were all over the place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 26
The weather is supposed to be clearing this week in that area.

Today we visited the Cape Meares Lighthouse. The shortest lighthouse on the coast at 38' but 207' above sea level. While in the park we hiked to the octopus tree. Also tasted wine and cheese at the Blue Heron Cheese factory.

Attachments

• Newport And Tillamook 009.JPG
    Newport And Tillamook 009.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Newport And Tillamook 017.JPG
    Newport And Tillamook 017.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Newport And Tillamook 014.JPG
    Newport And Tillamook 014.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 20
  • Newport And Tillamook 018.JPG
    Newport And Tillamook 018.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Newport And Tillamook 020.JPG
    Newport And Tillamook 020.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 21
  • Newport And Tillamook 029.JPG
    Newport And Tillamook 029.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 29
    Raymonda and I retired from Seaside, Or so have been waiting until you got closed to the area.  The visitors center has RV parking.  The Prom [board walk] is 1+ miles of beach front  or walk in the sand.  Lewis & Clark boiled sea water to get salt to preserve food for their return trip, ask at visitors center for location.
    Fort Steven State Park is the largest  in Or  and there is so much history there to see.  The Maritime museum in Astoria  is a must see .  The winter camp for Lewis & Clark between Astoria and  Warrenton is a nice visit. 
    Hope you can visit the area.

Bill Dane
99 CC  Allure

So happy you found the Blue Heron.  We have happy memories of stuffing ourselves with warm French bread and their brie cheese.  :)

Bill, thanks for all the suggestions. As we are staying in Seaside for a week I will try and make everyone. And Tom we also enjoyed the Blue Heron. Margaret liked it better than the Tillamook cheese factory because it was less crowded.

Henry

That weather looks just like we witness every time we do the Oregon coast which is almost yearly..... A sunny day is a real rarity for us.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom